Believer | Ninkasi Brewing Company

Ninkasi Brewing Company
Oregon, United States
ninkasibrewing.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

An Imperial American Red Ale.

Ninkasi website:
"6.9 % alc./vol. 60ibus. Always available in 22 oz bottles, and on draft."

Added by Cascadia on 06-23-2007

3.8

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

This beer has been such a hit or miss with me I just don't know how to rate it. The color is an dark copper and the head is thick and foamy. The first time I had it I thought it was one of my favorite beers I had had in a long time and definitely a top red ale...the second time I still liked it but a little less, the third was about the same as the second. All three were on tap...I might have to revise my rating after the next time I try it but for now I still think it is a great beer. Pretty malty and not something I would have more than 1 - 2 pints of but a flavorful red with some uniqueness to it. I am excited to give it another try and really try to focus to figure out if I love it or hate it :)

3.77/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Ninkasi Brewing 'Believer Double Red Ale' @ 6.9% , served from a 650 ml bottle purchased for $6

A-pour is dark amber from bottle to glass with a medium size off white head leaving a streaky lace along the stein

S-nutty malts & grassy hops

T-slight sweet start but is really bitter from start to finish

MF-low carbonation , medium to full bodied

Ov-ok beer , just to bitter for me

prost LampertLand

3.99/5  rDev +5%

Nose: Sweet. Vanilla and caramel and even some molasses. I can't find any of the hops in the nose, even though I know they're there.

Palate: Mouthfeel is quite thick. Vanilla and toffee sweetness to start, very malty, bready, and sweet. The hops come through shortly after and linger through the finish. Earthy and piney hops. No floral or citrus notes from what I can tell.

Finish: Ends bitter - 20 seconds in, you might as well have been drinking an IPA despite the hugely sweet malty start.

Conclusion: This is a pretty darn good red ale. I tend to forget about this style of beer because it's.. well, forgettable usually. However, it does fill an important segment, somewhere between the IPA and the CDA. This is 6.9% ABV and 60 IBU which makes it accessible but not boring. I think this beer strikes a pretty good balance. Colour me satisfied.

3.69/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance- dark red color, thick foamy head, very nice lacing

Smell- very malty, very slight amount of hops

Taste- very malty, more hops in the flavor than in the smell, well balanced, pretty good

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- I thought it was pretty good. I would probably have it again.

2.75/5  rDev -27.6%

3.4/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Believer from Ninkasi Brewing Company