Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Tricerahops Double IPA | Ninkasi Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by John_M on 07-30-2007

Ratings: 1,798 |  Reviews: 466

22oz bomber split into tulip

A. Glowing golden Orange with good clarity. 2 finger head in the form of thousands of perfectly round tiny bubbles of carbonation bonded in tight cohesion.

S. Citrus, pine, grapefruit and grassy freshness, a lot of aroma hops have been used in this one.

T. Great dry citrus hops hit first, mild malt subdue slightly, but the hops sure stand on their own and take center stage. 8.8% abv is amazingly hidden in this wonderful earthy and refreshing Dipa.

M. Crisp, clean, but hop munchyness and flavors coat the mouth and leave a remarkably nice flavor on the palate.

O. Awesome DIPA, I can't really find one bad thing to say about it. This would be one of my go to dipa's if it was available in my area.

Of course, my current favourite beer of all time - a double IPA - is only sold in select places 50km from my house, so I can't enjoy it as much as I'd like. Sigh.

Tricerahops is truly a wonder to behold. A glorious ornage/golden cloudy colour, enough hops to make your head spin, but with subtle fruity undertones (but not too fruity) makes this an exception hop-bomb you can enjoy. I first tried this beer on tap at the Great Canadian Beer Festival in Victoria, BC - and ever since, I've loved this beer and nearly anything I've tried from Ninkasi Brewing.

I simply must find a way to get more of this one. At 8.8% ABV and a ridiculous amount of IBUs, you may initially pay a premium for the beer's deliciosity but it's a slow drinker so it will last a while - but it's really easy to down as well, despite its alcohol content, so be forwarned.

I have one sitting in my fridge waiting for a special occasion (Christmas or New Years, at this point) but I am desperately looking for more of this one.

I don't have a problem...I just absolutely adore this beer. This is the first beer I've ever given a 5.0 rating to across the board, and I stand by it 100%.

4.99/5  rDev +24.1%

Poured from bottle into chilled pint glass. Lacing outstanding, extremely smooth with an excellent hop bitter finish. Really outstanding brew that's worth looking for and buying.

4.97/5  rDev +23.6%

Extremely good. Not too hoppy. Very flavorful. Reminds me of Stone Ruination.

4.95/5  rDev +23.1%

Really tasty beer

4.92/5  rDev +22.4%

I don't even know what to say, this is so good. I can't get this anywhere close to where I am, but my friend Mike brought a bomber back just recently. If I had to design an IPA, this would be exactly as it would be. Pours like they all do, but who cares, it's dark orange inviting, and more yellow that rust and tannic. Head, who cares! Smells yummy piney, floral and citrus hops, really makes me want to shove my head in the glass, good. If I could only 'jam on' my olfactory centers to continually perceive the hops: That good! Taste is clean malt, then citrus rind and more pine, and a hop echo that really can't be beat. This stuff has terrific after effects and outstanding balance. Mouthfeel is really good for a DIPA, and the alcohol lower, which I like, and the carbonation is moderate-low and fine and not overly syrupy in the delivery. If I were stinking wealthy, I'd hire a courier to bring this to my door. I'd have one every day. Astonishing.

4.87/5  rDev +21.1%

Recommend ,extraordinary IPA

4.85/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.83/5  rDev +20.1%

Very smooth and mellow for an Imperial IPA.

4.83/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Amazing beer, pours amber, hazy with a very mild white foam head, excellent retention. Aroma is hops all over the place, citric and resinous, very appealing. Taste is extremely good, very good balance between malt swetness and hops. Great beer, too bad It´s impossible to get in Mexico. Cheers

4.82/5  rDev +19.9%

Poured from a 22-oz bottle into a chilled mug on 6/30/10.

Coppery-orange & slightly clouded, with a generous, creamy head with staying power, leaving substantial lacing & no doubt it was there.

As soon as the cap was popped, the bouquet jumped out! This is the first beer I can really say smelled "floral". Grapefruit, too, in nice measure. Massive hops, just like you'd expect in a DIPA, with a nice bite. Just like it says on the bottle: "Fiercely flavorful."

Chewy in the mouth, with a decent tingle-factor. Great carbonation. Fairly begs to be paired with something spicy.

All around great beer!

4.82/5  rDev +19.9%

Being from Washington, this is one of the first double IPA's I had because it's brewed in the pacific north west. I was blown away by how in your face hoppy it is and it makes me sad that I can only get it in a seasonal variety pack in my area because I can never find it in a 6 pack. It's definitely one if my favorites from Ninkasi.

4.8/5  rDev +19.4%