Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Tricerahops Double IPA | Ninkasi Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by John_M on 07-30-2007

Ratings: 1,798 |  Reviews: 466
2.7/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

I bought a 22 oz bomber because I was in a small town without much selection. When I got to my room and read the bottle and saw "balance " and that it's only 84 ibu I had the feeling that it would be disappointing and it was. The nose has that sweet smell that means there isn't much hop flavor and is belgian like. Same for the taste. Not my style.

2.75/5  rDev -31.6%

2.81/5  rDev -30.1%

Imbibed on tap at Harry's Hofbrau on 2/19/12.

Poured a dark gold, clear, metallic and shiny. Great head retention, though not much lacing. Very citrusy hops dominate the nose and not much else. Some malt is discernible though it's very light. Light in mouthfeel, bitter but not too bitter. Very lemony and citrusy. Spritzy and carbonated. Although this is light in taste, the MF is full bodied. It's weird to describe, just trust me. It confuses the palate/mind.

I was confused about this beer, mainly because I wasn't sure if it was full bodied or light. The flavors were very strong, but still not very dominating over the palate. I feel like this should get off the fence and either be a West Coast hop bomb or not. That said, I'd like to try this again on its own. I feel like my palate and expectations were compromised before drinking this beer.

2.84/5  rDev -29.4%

Doopie broke this one open last week for random night. Cheers man!

From a bomber into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Pours a two finger, medium-thinner looking, off-white, fluffy head with good retention. Gamboge orange in color, slightly hazy, with no carbonation evident. Head slowly fades to a splotchy wisp leaving lace coating the sides of the glass. A wisp remains until the end and leaves some nice lacing all the way down.

SMELL: Pale malts, pine notes, and some soapy aromas. Lots of flowery hops are nice, but the soapy hop notes aren't really all that appealing.

TASTE: Pale malts, toffee notes, with lots of flowery hops and some citrus flavors as well. Much more citrus than the nose had suggested, and the soapy notes, while present, are not nearly as forthcoming. Better. A bolder and lingering aftertaste of bitter hops, flower notes, and mild citrus notes.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. Somewhat light on the palate, creamy smooth, goes down smooth and finishes slightly dry. Pretty solid here.

OVERALL: No better than alright. The nose was certainly not my cup of tea, as I’m not a huge fan of whatever hop produces that soapy quality, but luckily that hop was more mild in the flavor letting some enjoyable flower and citrus hop flavor come through. A decent brew, but not something that needs any special attention. Thanks again for sharing Doops.

2.92/5  rDev -27.4%

Appearance is a clear copper-goldish, light carbonation (a tad lighter than typical for the style), served with little to no head.

Not much head retention, near to no lacing.

Flavor is certainly not bad, but I did not rate high seeing as they market this as a "double IPA" and therefore I expect much; this came in at a normal IPA range for IBU's and gravity, at least taste and mouthfeel wise.

Aroma is certainly this guy's thing; much dry hopping for great complexity and inviting sniffs.

Not so drinkable, this is one that wares on you half way through and you are looking towards the next beer in a more favorable genre; could definitely use a better balance of malt.

2.95/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Incredibly disappointing DIPA. Sweetness suggest tropical and citrus notes that just never materialize. Weakest DIPA I've had in a long while.

2.96/5  rDev -26.4%

Medium head that launched floral hops fragrance into the stratosphere.

Nose of fragrant valley hops. The brew itself does not retain the sweet hoppiness, and blasts more of a bitter deep malty flavor. The aftertaste is on the bitter side of bitter.

A spike of the 8.8 abv pierces the the tongue. Complex flavor, but not a good IPA.
A bitters freak might enjoy this, but not me.

I will not purchase this brew again.

2.96/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

2.97/5  rDev -26.1%

Appearance

Burnt orange snow globe. I'm guessing yeast particulates float around the medium size bubbles.

Smell:

Grapefruit, peach, yeast when it warms. Under-ripe orange with rind on the back

Mouthfeel:

Thicker and more yeast on the back of my throat than is normal for an DIPA or I like from one.

Overall:

Not into it. Why so much yeast. Why boast hops when they aren't complex, well rounded, or that forward in the nose or flavor. Yet it isn't malty enough to imagine they are hiding.

2.99/5  rDev -25.6%

Big disappointment. I tried this beer on tap at this year's DIPA Festival at The Bistro and was surprised to find it wanting. Optimistically, I didn't review it, hoping that the sampler didn't do it justice. I have a fresh bottle, now, and can honestly say this does not live up to its reputation.

Tricerahops pours a bright amber, transparent, with a white head. The aroma is dominated by hops, though rather weak, and there are some pine/citrus notes in there, somewhere, but, unfortunately, it's more a body odor/gym socks hoppiness. The flavor also definitely lacks for hops (I'm aware of the limitations of IBU counts and don't put much stock in them, but I'm surprised at Ninkasi's claim that this clocked in 100+). It isn't nearly bitter enough. However, I'll give it some credit for not being sweet, either. The mouthfeel is a tad thin, and the finish is bland with those same mediocre, body odor hop flavors.

I appreciate that Ninkasi is trying to make relatively affordable craft beer, but this is a poor effort. Lagunitas absolutely blows them out of the water, in this respect. I hate to be harsh, but I just don't get this beer and have not been a fan of their other offerings thus far.

Tricerahops Double IPA from Ninkasi Brewing Company