Tricerahops Double IPA | Ninkasi Brewing Company

4.02/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,796 |  Reviews: 466
3.2/5  rDev -20.4%

This poured a malty orange amber in color with a thick layer of foam.

There’s a delectable aroma of orange and orange marmalade.

Every time I try this beer I keep thinking of it as being overly boozy, a malty-sweet booziness, that contrasts with the orange-citrus of the hops. At first I enjoyed it, then I didn’t mind, but now I find its finish and flavor profile to be off-putting in a way that makes me not reach for it anymore. Boo.

3.21/5  rDev -20.1%

On tap at Gourmet Haus Staudt.

Amber colored with a hazy, unfiltered body. The head is lasting and sticky, slightly off-white.

The nose is signature Pacific Northwest IPA, an even mix of bready, slightly caramelized malt and citrusy, grapefruit and orange hoppiness. There's a touch of tropical fruit as well.

It's bready and bitter on the tongue, medium bodied, quite flavorful. Grapefruit and pine hop flavors are prominent, but there's an undertone of tropical fruit. The finish is resiny, grapefruit-like, mildly astringent. Pretty solid stuff, but by no means great.

3.23/5  rDev -19.7%

Bomber purchased from a Fred Meyer in Pocatello, Idaho on the way back from a trip to Yellowstone. In a cold case, come on Utah, are you going to let Pocatello show us up? Who am I kidding, the Utah legislature does not read beeradvocate reviews before they purchase beer. This beer was poured into my beer goblet.

Appearance: A slightly hazy golden with a long lasting one fingered sandy head. Looks fine. Leaves nice lacing.

Smell: Does not smell exactly like a fresh DIPA. Crystal malts and a touch of honey more than hop flavors. The hops smell like a pine forest with a touch of citrus grove thrown in.

Taste: The label says that this has 100 IBUs, I am searching for about 70 of them. without the label, I would not have guessed DIPA. I would have said IPA. The malts are a touch sweet up front with a good flavor. The sweetness gives way to a light lingering bitterness on the tongue. 8.8 ABV is well hidden. Hints of tangerine and grapefruit. With this bottle, I am underwhelmed. It is tasty, but seems way off for the style.

Mouthfeel: Slick and medium to full. Carbonation is medium low. Flavors spread easily over the mouth.

Overall: I am confused with this one. So little hops aroma or blatant hops taste. Maybe I have become jaded and cannot taste anything under 50 % cold pressed extra virgin hop extract, but I do not think so. An odd duck, which I do not think represents the style.

3.23/5  rDev -19.7%

22oz bottle, unknown date. Served at around 40-45F.

Pours lightly hazy orange/amber with a good off-white head that leaves lots of sticky lacing and maintains a small cap.

Aroma is some orange citrus, apricot, good bit of floral hops, a touch of pine, decent bit of caramel malt. Good strength.

Flavor is apricot, orange/grapefruit citrus, some resin, noticeable caramel malt backbone, decent bit of sweetness in the middle, moderate bitterness on the finish and just a little mild alcohol.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied, creamy, oily, moderate carbonation.

Apricot and caramel would be the best way for me to sum this one up, and unfortunately those are not my two favorite flavors in an IPA/DIPA. I could see fans of something like Dogfish Head’s 90 Minute really diggin’ this one though...

3.24/5  rDev -19.4%

3.24/5  rDev -19.4%

A: Poured a dark orange color with good carbonation and a nice white head.

S: Nose is faint, very faint hints of caramel, pine needles, earth. Disappointing.

T: Rather lackluster. Minor notes of pine sap, orange peel. Caramel and a bread. Some yeast as well.

M: Not much bitterness, medium body, good booze feel

O: Overrated IIPA

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev -19.2%

I remember enjoying this one a lot more so I have a feeling I may have just gotten an old bottle. Having said that, not much going on here. Floral, citrus, grapefruit aroma with a bit of pine, I thought it was more malty than hoppy. Poured a deep golden color with a white head. Taste was mostly what I got from the aroma, mainly citrus fruit, grapefruit, and some caramel malt. In a word: boring. I was surprised but I'm willing to give this one another chance.

3.25/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.26/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.26/5  rDev -18.9%

3.27/5  rDev -18.7%

Just a little yeasty for my taste. Decent price at a high end beer store. Worth a try, but I wouldn't get it again.

3.27/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Tricerahops Double IPA from Ninkasi Brewing Company