Tricerahops Double IPA | Ninkasi Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by John_M on 07-30-2007

Reviews: 458 | Ratings: 1,768
3.44/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Cloudy appearance. Very Cloudy. Did I mention its cloudy? 1/4 inch head.

S - Pine and a little floral

T - Nothing distinct in the taste for me. Starts off sweet and finishes bitter. A balanced taste and not that bitter considering its a DIPA.

M - A little too gritty for my enjoyment.

D -A drinkable DIPA but not my first choice. For a double IPA, tasted a little bland. Had some similar qualities to the total domination IPA but it didn't make it up to that next level taste of a DIPA except for alcohol content.

4.25/5  rDev +6%

A fantastic beer all around, this company needs to market on a wider scale, everything i've had from them has been fantastic. This beer is clean and very floral on the nose. I love the smell of this beer, it's like sticking your nose right in the middle of a bouquet of flowers. The taste is tart, sweet and floral. It's crisp mouthfeel really cleans your palate and allows lots of flavors to ring out without dominanting the flavor.

3.23/5  rDev -19.5%

Bomber purchased from a Fred Meyer in Pocatello, Idaho on the way back from a trip to Yellowstone. In a cold case, come on Utah, are you going to let Pocatello show us up? Who am I kidding, the Utah legislature does not read beeradvocate reviews before they purchase beer. This beer was poured into my beer goblet.

Appearance: A slightly hazy golden with a long lasting one fingered sandy head. Looks fine. Leaves nice lacing.

Smell: Does not smell exactly like a fresh DIPA. Crystal malts and a touch of honey more than hop flavors. The hops smell like a pine forest with a touch of citrus grove thrown in.

Taste: The label says that this has 100 IBUs, I am searching for about 70 of them. without the label, I would not have guessed DIPA. I would have said IPA. The malts are a touch sweet up front with a good flavor. The sweetness gives way to a light lingering bitterness on the tongue. 8.8 ABV is well hidden. Hints of tangerine and grapefruit. With this bottle, I am underwhelmed. It is tasty, but seems way off for the style.

Mouthfeel: Slick and medium to full. Carbonation is medium low. Flavors spread easily over the mouth.

Overall: I am confused with this one. So little hops aroma or blatant hops taste. Maybe I have become jaded and cannot taste anything under 50 % cold pressed extra virgin hop extract, but I do not think so. An odd duck, which I do not think represents the style.

4.25/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- Pours a one finger white head with poor retention and moderate lacing. Beer is an orange amber with a slight haze.

Smell- Nothing but fresh pungent hoppiness. Fairly stings the nose.

Taste- Big hop presence, resinous up front, qualities of fresh cut vegetation. There's a decent amber maltiness, but it has a hard time making its case with all those hops around.

Mouthfeel- Below average carbonation, mouthcoating nearly oily hopiness.

Drinkability- Huge flavor, somewhat smooth, but high ABV and big flavor keep drinkability to a beer or two.

4.55/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured all cellar temperature-like into my tulip. About time, really.

The first thing you need to know is that this is a very pretty IPA. I mean seriously pretty. Radiant orange, rocky, long-lasting, just off-white head, and glamorous lacing. A real looker.

It smells of fragrant pine, hops of the dank, herbal variety I swear I get a little basil and oregano, but I WAS making pizza sauce a half-hour ago), and orange. Bit of honey. A zesty aroma. Yes, that's the word.

Oh, okay. so that's how it is. The flavor just somewhat exploded on my palate. I wasn't quite prepared for that. This tastes like the result of squeezing fresh oranges, lemons, and grapefruit, and then mixing that citrus juice with pure pine needle extract. It's the bread and butter of IPAs: citrus and pine, but turned up to an extravagant level. Not to mention the lovely bready finish with a lingering balance of astringency and malts.

Love the feel. It's got substance, and substantial carbonation, but at the same time a certain softness.

An wonderful example of an ale that proves you don't need a bunch of ridiculously nuanced complexities to be great (don't get me wrong - I like complexity, too). But this is just unabashed, unashamed, IPA deliverance. And it wooks pwerty. :B

4.56/5  rDev +13.7%

A: Hazy golden orange. Silky & sticky lacing

S: Grapefruit rind, orange blossoms, and a generous dose of crystal malt.

T: Juicy, fresh squeezed oranges, an uplifting amount of bitterness, and a healthy dollop of toffeeish caramel malt

M: Velvety smooth. It really keeps the 100+ IBU's in check and creates a nice experience.

D: A very nice offering.

4.58/5  rDev +14.2%

Serving type- 22 ounce bomber poured into a pint glass.

A- Pours a dark straw yellow with a nice eggshell white medium head. Good cling and nice head retention. There is some carbonation activity after the poor.

S- Nice big hop aroma,pine and citrus notes present.

T- Nice hoppy flavor that is balanced perfectly. Good flavor combination of sweet malt and the citrus from the hops. Smooth start that finishes somewhat dry.

I orginally had this in Eugene while there for a Ducks game and thought it was kickass. So much so that I finally broke down and ordered a few bottles from Bottletrek. Beautiful flavor combinations that mask its strength. If this were available here this could definately be in my regular rotation. I have been throughly impressed with everything that Ninkasi has put out. In my dreams/future I am living in Oregon and buying and drinking this on a regular basis. My only regret is that I didn't take advantage of my visit to Eugene more and buy way more of this than I did. I got caught up in trying as many beers as possible instead of sticking with what I liked the best. Can't wait to have this again. Excellent beer, great representative of an Imperial IPA. "If you have the means I highly recommend picking it up."

4.32/5  rDev +7.7%

On tap at the Concordia Ale House, served in a pint glass. Holy cats, this is a nice beer. Nice combination of malt and hops in the nose. This follows into the taste too. Great balance for a double IPA. Alcohol doesn't come out and hit you, it's nicely incorporated.

Can't wait to have this in a bottle soon.

4.17/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A very nice Double IPA,pours a dark amber with a thin off white head that lasts and one of the best lacing i have seen on a IPA.Wonderful pine and a woody taste. Perfect balance malt to hops.

3.39/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pretty average ipa across the board. Pourz a nice clean amber. Smells super hoppy, pine and citrus. Flavor is a little unbalanced and slightly bitter. Resiny hops coat your mouth. Nothing spectacular but a solid ipa. However, out of all the "hop" pun beer names, Tricerahops is probably my favorite.

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

This is my.. 4th Ninkasi beer? So far nothing has been able to top their oatmeal stout.

Pours a slightly hazy copper that turns golden towards the edges.

Rocky white foam recedes and leaves some nice lacing.

Faintly smells of that simcoe cat urine smell, but it's not as bad as Stone beers. Floral, hoppy, cat piss.

Taste is pretty killer. Smooth, nice bitterness, great malt backbone to support this beast of a beer. Alcohol is faint, but present. Hops are piney, but incredible bready and biscuity malts are the star of this beer.

This beer lingers like an 8% ABV beer. What do you expect? I think this category is useless. Carbonation levels seem spot on.

Overall this is right up there with Ninkasi's best offerings. Not the hop bomb that most IIPAs tend to be, but the balance this beer exhibits really makes it shine. Great beer, will be seeking more out in the future.

3.91/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours a deep amber with a one finger tan head that fades slowly to a thin cap leaving a thick sheet of lace in its wake. A steady column of carbonation rises up. This one looks great!

Smell is rather muted, but there are some floral hops, orange peel and grapefruit rind on top of a bready malt background.

Taste begins with some caramel and bready malts before some bitter hops kick in. Grapefruit rind and pine resins lead to a dry, bitter finish.

Medium-bodied, smooth mouthfeel.

Quite drinkable and a very tasty beer.

Serving type - 22 oz bomber into pint glass

A - pours a deep, orange-ish amber. A smooth pour results in minimal head and lacing. Somewhat clear.

S - Holy hop-bomb batman! This one has a strong hop bite in the smell, but along with it is pine, grapefruit, orange, and biscuit like malts lingering about.

T - Yum! Big bold, pine and grapefruity hoppiness is very well balanced with a big, biscuity malt backbone. Now this is what DIPA should be, An emphasis on hops without being a complete bitter assault on the tastebuds. This is gooood.

M - Surprisingly light for the style, but by no means too thin. It makes this beer deceivingly sessionable.

D - Nearly 9% ABV, really? Yikes! Caution is advised.

Overall - Highly worth seeking out for IPA/DIPA fans.

4.25/5  rDev +6%

poured from a 22oz bomber.

hazy amber, big fluffy head, nice lacing.

smell - big mix of sweet malts and hops, hops and more hops. taste - a quick hint of the caramel up front and then a citrus/pine/pepper assualt. this is one aggressive beer and always delicious.

3.92/5  rDev -2.2%

got this from pdxhops. I have been waiting to open this up for a while.

pours golden orange with a layer of white head. nice lacing.

smells good and hoppy. piney. reminds me of a sculpin a bit. I like it...I like it a lot.

taste is good. nice hop presence. leaves a great citrusy flavor.

I would drink this again. a rather nice double ipa. a short review but im on my phone and the battery is dieing

3.95/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours a cloudy orange with a 1-finger white head that laces moderately.

Aroma is immediately of big northwest hops - very citrus with a bit of an herbal undertone.

The hops are quite prevalent, and start out with grapefruit, tart pear and green grape. The malt backbone becomes a bit more pronounced as the ale warms, but this one is about the hops. Some pepper and herbal notes appear above the toasted white bread character of the malts.

Well carbonated though somewhat oily on the back of the tongue. An average NW "Double IPA", pretty drinkable for it's 8.8%.

3.9/5  rDev -2.7%

22oz bottle into a perfect pint glass.

A. A slightly hazy orange-copper colour with some vigorous carbonation and a persistent white head.

S. The aroma is strongly bready at first, giving way to some citrus notes.

T. An immediate hit of grapefruit. It's not overpowering so there must be some balancing malt sweetness in there but I have to concentrate to taste it, and when I do it comes with strong hints of toffee. This is a citrus hop bomb for sure.

M. Medium-bodied, slightly bitter finish, and the carbonation that looked so lively at first pour is thankfully unobtrusive.

O. Nice, but a shade one-dimensional. It's just all about grapefruit. It could definitely be more rounded.

4.08/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours very bright copper orange color with beautiful white fluffy head about two fingers thick. Retention is great. Pretty looking beer.
Smell - very citrusy with some pine flavor, bitter hoppiness all the way through. Typical IPA flavor pretty good one though.
Taste - sweet orange upfront, followed by bitter lemon/lime and hops of course. Some grapefruit notes are there as well. Very well balanced, alcohol hidden well. Smooth and rich, moderate hops. I would have more than one definitely.

Great brew!

4.44/5  rDev +10.7%

When at the Concordia Ale House, found out that this beer was the best Double IPA out of 10 competitors in the Concordia Cup. I had to try one for myself.

The Tricerahops came out hazy, golden orange with a white moderate head that left a decent amount of lacing as I drank it.

Despite not much of a head, the aromas wafted powerfully out of the glass the whole time I drank it. You know how it's hard to smell some beers when you get all the way down and have just a little bit a the bottom? Not so with this one. Pine, citrus and floral hops all mingle and assault my nostrils. Very complex. Sweet smelling, as well. I'm not sure if it's a little of the malts coming through, or just the nectar citrus/floral hop smells.

I was a little surprised with how cold it came out. I was expecting it to be served a little warmer. Even so, the taste was also excellent. A huge surprise was the difference of taste from the nose. Taste was much more earthy than I expected. The citrus and pine hops were still stong, but definitely got a bit of a dust/earth taste that I'd expect from the hops used in a porter or stout. Very interesting. The malts are mild, not as sweet as some other DIPAs I've tried. I didn't notice much alcohol flavor, or smell, but it also doesn't seem like it should be too hard to hide with the overpowering hops.

Mouthfeel was about medium body, not as thick as some DIPAs, with a long finish. I also noted the dry finish, which complimented the earthy flavors.

Overall, an excellent, very interesting beer. I hope I make it back soon enough to try this beer again.

4.33/5  rDev +8%

A: Pours a huge orange and copper golden hue. There are hazy tangerine and amber undertones. Overall this one just glows in the glass. Amazing retention and a full halo of draped frosty lacing that coats from top to bottom all the way through. So much lacing that if I look closely I begin to decipher an ancient Mayan code.

S: Nice pine resin and citrus hop aroma balanced against delicate earthy undertones. A perfect blend of citrus acidic grapefruit and sweet floral aromas. Very subtle yet fruity, full, and rounded.

T: While hoppy, as expected, this is mildly refreshing. Like crisp pine soaked pineapple. Subtle honey limed and floral taste with a well balanced tart tinge. No malts present here. Very smooth and absolutely perfect finish without the slightest nod that this is a double.

M: Medium body with a long perfect finish and minimal carbonation.

D: Easily drinkable and delicious. Besides that the name is just flat out cool. I plan to put this one in regular rotation. Note to self, try as many other offerings I can from this brewery.

4.26/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured out with an amber appearance and a soapy bone colored head. This one had some sediment floating about and also left some nice lacing down the glass.

The smell was a strong punch of hops, citrus, grapefruit and pine blasting out.

The taste is a big punch of grapefruit followed by a bittersweet citrus than comes some pine with a hint of a malt backbone. A very powerful and fully loaded flavor profile.

Mouth feel borders on the medium with a bitter hops finish.

This one is listed at 100 IBU's and I really do not get that. The hops punch is strong but not overly bitter. I do believe this one sits right on that fence though. If there was more hops punch it may tip it over to a point where it would be overly bitter for me. Also of note is the ABV is tucked very nicely into the beer and does not jump out. There was a bit of hops oil coating my lips upon finishing this refreshing beer.

4.37/5  rDev +9%

Beautiful dark honey with a generous, just off-white head which settles quickly but never fully disappears. Very standard appearance for the style, but it might be my favorite color of beer hence the high score. The smell is really intense! Huge aroma here even before letting it warm up a bit. Obviously a double IPA with double hops. Really hoppy but a great balance of fruitiness without overdoing it. Tropical fruitiness, pineapple and citrus right up front. Dig a little deeper and there's a delicious, almost cinnamon toast maltiness.

Oh yeah it's bitter. While the smell was absolutely perfect, my first reaction to the taste is that it's a bit one-dimensional. Super hoppy. While probably not as bitter as 90-minute, Tricerahops is certainly NOT for the beer newbie. After just 10 minutes of warming I would say the flavors have opened up and become more pleasant. Hard to believe it's nearly 9% ... until you start to feel it.

My first taste of Ninkasi, and a very well-made beer. I'll definitely try their other offerings if I get a chance.

4.64/5  rDev +15.7%

This beer was not kidding. Its poor graphic design and relatively unknown brewery lead me to believe that i was buying a dud, but something in my heart said push on. to buy... two... Now that i think about it that was probably my childhood (and continuing) love of the triceratops.

Definitely the most bad ass of plant eating dinos, I gave this beer blind hope and was rewarded with a delicious DIPA.

The nose was citrus, grassy pine, fresh bread and a hint of dinosaur blood (probably extracted from an amber bound mosquito. The taste was sweeter/creamier than any west coast IPA i have had since Bear Republic's Apex. Reminded me of a less over the top version of FFF's apocalypse cow. It was extremely balanced and very very delicious.

4.35/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Presentation: Very cool label and color scheme with the Ninkasi seal as the centerpiece. Give a small description and small background about the beer on the side of the label.

Appearance: Poured out of a 22oz bomber into a 13oz tulip glass. Pours out a slightly hazy copper orange hue with an airy 2 finger white foam head of light density. Head initially fades quickly but slow considerably with head retention at 3min 30sec before finally settling to a thin foam coating and ring.

Smell/Aroma: Smells of very sweet citrus hops with grapefruit and orange being the prominent aromas. Hints of pineapple sweetness and a slightly floral hop scent can be detected as well. Smell is delicious and intoxicating!!!

Flavor/Taste: Tastes of citrus sweetness mixed with pine and floral hop bitterness all atop a bready malt backbone!!!! Extremely bitter on the back-end and aftertaste. Excellent!!

MouthFeel/Drinkability: Medium bodied with a medium carbonation but not overly filling. Very drinkable.

Overall/Comments: A very very good double IPA with a great smell and flavor profile. Above average to excellent across the board. Classified as a Double/Imperial IPA at 8.8% ABV. Consumed 12-4-12.

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a hazy golden color with a slight head. Slight lacing. Nice hop aroma, although somewhat subdued for the style imo. Still, a nice bouquet. Taste is weighted in the hop direction with plenty of juicy citrus notes. Nice bready malt backing that doesn't intrude on the hop's territory. Oily hop goodness is the story here, though. Not at all brash, actually pretty easy drinking for 8.8%. This drinks like a plain-jane IPA. A finely crafted brew. Hats off.

Tricerahops Double IPA from Ninkasi Brewing Company