Tricerahops Double IPA | Ninkasi Brewing Company

Ratings: 1,796 |  Reviews: 466

3.02/5  rDev -24.9%

Ok but not that hoppy

3.02/5  rDev -24.9%

Poured a clear golden amber that left nice lacing on the glass.

The aroma is barely present. I got hint of citrus and cooked oats.

The first few sips were very bitter. I love bitter ales but there was something not very balanced about this beer. Perhaps I got an old bottle because the bittering hops are very dominant and I don't taste any flavoring or aromatic hops. It is also a little too tart for the style. After a few sips the maltiness was more apparent and I could taste ripe bananas. Very dry and earthy finish.

Mouthfeel is a little light for a DIPA but it is very smooth.

3.04/5  rDev -24.4%

I'm not making ANY pretenses, I'm not a beer snob. I don't have a sophisticated palate that can detect the subtle hues and nuances. I don't have a lot of fancy, appropriate words to describe the drink. I like what I like and that's it. The color on this is nice, the smell is OK. But this stuff is just too damn bitter for may liking.

3.04/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Beer taste was average at best. No aroma

3.07/5  rDev -23.6%

3.08/5  rDev -23.4%

I only thought of it as average.

3.1/5  rDev -22.9%

Finally got a replacement to take home and review. I dropped my 3 bottles of Tricerahops in my driveway after getting home from Portland via airplane. I taught the neighbors some pretty neat words and the wife may have doubted our relationship. I was mad, real mad.
But a recent trip to Denver relieved me of this pain, they sell it, yay!

Poured out an unfiltered copper, white head that sits a while. Good amount of clumpy adhering lace.
Aroma was kinda soapy, smelled like someone just took a shower (the Irish never quit). A bit of pine and fermented honey, but man so much soap.
Flavors follow aroma, pine ramps up and delivers. Slick mouth feel, pine maintaining in flavor, not what I remembered but the bottle says fresh. I'm going to pretend it was exposed to much sunlight even though it was in a windowless shop. Maybe we will try it again sometime... If I don't break more of them.

3.14/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

wasnt as good as i had hoped for

3.14/5  rDev -21.9%

Clear light copper, moderate off-white head with good retention and okay lacing. Resinous light floral hop aroma. Floral and light grapefruit bitterness gives away quickly to heavy sweet caramel malts. Light hop linger and alcohol warming. Creamy and slightly sticky feel.

I remember this being one of the beers that was responsible for my interest in Ninkasi. However, that was a long time ago and I have since become quite disappointed with a lot of their beers. Having the opprtunity to try this one again unfortunately affirmed that position. Don't get me wrong, they make a good beer however there is little to differentiate them from other breweries. They seem to do just above the bare minimum for their beers. This is a nicely balanced and drinkable Imperial IPA.

3.16/5  rDev -21.4%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass and a tulip; served immediately from fridge. Sampled cold, and let it warm up to see if the taste and aromas changed.

Appearance: Orangey-golden hue. Very little carbonation with tiny bubbles with little to no head, and no remnants of lacing. Suspect that this might be a dud of a bottle.

Smell and aromas: Subtle notes of sour lemon, and sauerkraut. Since this is a DIPA style and is advertised on the bottle to have double hops, malt, and alcohol, I had assumed that this would have a strong and rich floral aroma with citrus notes. Plus with a name that evokes massive size of dinosaurs, I assumed this would be a hop head beer. I was surprised because the aromas were flat, and seemed to waft up slowly when giving the glass a whirl.

Taste: Bitter, with very subtle hop, slightly sour, and a spicy finish on the swallow. While there is little carbonation in the glass, the beer gave a bitter bite which was improved with the carbonation in the mouth. The beer had an astringent quality, with less notable “big hops” but had a slightly sour finish. If you are looking for a bright, hoppy DIPA with floral and citrus notes, this is not the beer. However, as it warmed, the carbonation seemed to give the beer some bite. I am not seeing how this is a DIPA, it seemed like a regular IPA.

Mouthfeel: Little to no coating, bitter on the finish which leaves a dry mouth, and gets you ready for that next sip. The body of the beer is watery and thin. I think this would complement slightly spicy food (such as Indian or Thai).

Overall: I really wanted to like this beer because I love DIPA’s. Although it was not what I expected (to be clear, I was looking for a big floral nose of lychee and citrus - but I am not holding this beer to my expectation) I stuck with it to see how the flavor may change. This is where I picked up spice, and thought about how the beer may be an excellent choice with ethnic foods. To me, beer styles should be creative and flexible, so if you are a DIPA lover, or getting into them, I would recommend a quaff.

3.18/5  rDev -20.9%

Thanks to sirdrinknp. 22oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a slightly hazy copper color with a half finger off white head. Decent foamy lacing sticks to the glass.

The nose is made up of some light citrus aromas, some piny hops and a bit of malt sweetness. The citrusy hops come across first before a bite of pine and some resiny hops that can be a bit skunky at times. There is a bit of a malt sweetness that balances the hops fairly nicely.

The taste follows the nose, perhaps the malt is a bit more present and the piny hops a touch stronger. Starts with the same light citrusy and fruity hops along with a malt sweetness that stays in the background. In the middle a round of dank, resinous hops provide a bitter kick but seem to pull back a bit and let the sweet malt come back out at the finish. What I find odd is that the malt is strong in the finish, with little hop presence, yet a few second after each sip there are bitter, sticky hops left on the tongue. As teh beer warms the alcohol becomes more evident and there is a slight burn as it goes down.

A medium body with low/medium carbonation makes the beer feel slick and oily. Bitter hops do linger on the tongue for a bit.

Drinkability is ok. It's gets tougher to drink as the beer warms and the 8.8% ABV peeks its head out. The strong bitterness that lingers makes it a one and done. Overall, it's an ok beer. There's nothing about it that stands out nor is there anything that is all that bad.

Tricerahops Double IPA from Ninkasi Brewing Company