Sleigh'r Dark Doüble Alt Ale | Ninkasi Brewing Company

Ninkasi Brewing Company
Oregon, United States
ninkasibrewing.com

Style: Altbier

Called 'Dark Double Alt' on the label.

Seize the season with Sleigh'r. Layers of deeply toasted malt are balanced by just enough hop bitterness to make it deceivingly drinkable. Paired with a dry finish, Sleigh’r is anything but your typical winter brew.

An Alt ferments with Ale yeast at colder lagering temperatures. This effect gives Alts a more refined, crisp lager-like flavor than traditional ales. The Alt has been “Ninkasified” raising the ABV and IBUs. Sleigh'r has a deep, toasted malt flavor that finishes dry and balanced.

Added by msubulldog25 on 01-08-2009

4.75/5  rDev +26.3%

4.69/5  rDev +24.7%

4.63/5  rDev +23.1%

If you like Malty winter beers this is for you. It is a wonderful departure from the typical over hopped holiday ales. It's simply not overdone making it a joy to have and have and have. Although I usually say away from cold winter brews, I find this one enjoyable served at a typical fridge temp. Buy as much as you can...

4.62/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally had a chance to open my growler of Sleigh'r which had apparently done 30 days in bourbon casks before I had gotten it. Very, very nice. It had been in the growler aging for about a month on a road trip to Albuquerque. Waiting for the right moment to open tonight in rainy Oregon. It poured with a lovely brown head, with the aroma of bourbon. Great mouth feel lots of maltiness from the bourbon and simple hopping and generous use of Munich and Vienna malts , a true double alt. I'd missed the regular Sleigh'r last year, but still remember the 2008. The added aging in whisky casks made this a truly wonderful surprise. A bit better than my keg of the great 2010.

4.52/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

had this on tap in a pint glass
pours amber to brown with a thick tan head that lasted
smells boozy fruity and nutty reminded me of sam smiths winter welcome
taste nutty chocolate fruity and boozy
feel warming somewhat viscous
overall very enjoyable

4.48/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.44/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Perfect Christmas beer: thick, black, hint of sweetness but not too sweet.

4.44/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I first tried this beer while in Idaho on a search for a new home. I had never heard of it and gave it a try, and I enjoyed it immensely. If I could drink this all the time, for the price, well I think I'll get it whenever I can when its available. Its that good.

Pours a deep red, almost black but can see some light through it. Decent size head that falls to a ring with some bubbles. Heavy lacing on the side of glass throughout drinking it.

Smell is roasted barley and specialty malts. Some rye bread, some coffee, and bittering hops.

Taste is very good with good amount of bitter from malt, which I am a fan of. Big roasty flavor with a bready, malty, caramel like flavor in the middle, with a short finish of bittering hops. Also a tad bit of cherry flavor as well if you dig in. 7.2 abv hits the spot as I like beer that gives me a buzz for the price. Very clean taste overall, and I can't find any off flavors.

It's got medium carbonation, with a kind of light mouthfeel. Little can be said about the style as I've only had a few alt ales, most of which were very good. This is just a great winter warmer beer that is readily available on the west coast.

Over all I have to recommend this to anyone that likes darker sessionable beers. It's almost in the realm of a stout or porter, but not quite there.

4.43/5  rDev +17.8%

A: Dark red, almost black, with a foamy cream-colored head.

S: Caramel, nuts, some sort of flowery hops. Definitely not used to smelling a combination like this. This is a new style to me, but so far I like this.

T: Sweet roasted malts, a little bit of nuttiness. There's a nice floral hop bitterness underneath it.

M: The carbonation might be a bit much on any other beer, but it's good here. Helps everything down and feels good on the tongue.

D: I'm farther down this beer than I realized between when I started this review and now. It's really delicious.

4.38/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.37/5  rDev +16.2%

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

-clear dark brown bottle pour, little discernible foam atop, but plenty of fizz within. Aroma includes allspice and toasted malt. This is a richly flavored brew. It has a deep malt base, but bright, sweet notes too, a touch of coffee and hop bitterness. I have enjoyed and shared this during the past two winters. I hope to find it again next season.

Sleigh'r Dark Doüble Alt Ale from Ninkasi Brewing Company