Sleigh'r Dark Doüble Alt Ale | Ninkasi Brewing Company

Ninkasi Brewing Company
Oregon, United States
ninkasibrewing.com

Style: Altbier

Called 'Dark Double Alt' on the label.

Seize the season with Sleigh'r. Layers of deeply toasted malt are balanced by just enough hop bitterness to make it deceivingly drinkable. Paired with a dry finish, Sleigh’r is anything but your typical winter brew.

An Alt ferments with Ale yeast at colder lagering temperatures. This effect gives Alts a more refined, crisp lager-like flavor than traditional ales. The Alt has been “Ninkasified” raising the ABV and IBUs. Sleigh'r has a deep, toasted malt flavor that finishes dry and balanced.

Added by msubulldog25 on 01-08-2009

22 oz. bottle from John's Marketplace PDX poured into Chimay chalice 12/30/09.

Dark brown body, a bit of chill haze, substantial off white head, slow dissipation, an impressive looking beer. The nose is quite malty, a bit more sweet than bready, not much hop presence to speak of. The taste is the same as nose, with a slight smokiness, and some caramel malts, pretty well balanced. The finish is a bit bitter, was wondering when the hops would appear, pretty viscuous. Mouthfeel features significant carbonation. Drinkable yes (though a bit boozy for the style,more of a sipper than a quaffer), memorable no. To be honest, the second best Christmas beer from Eugene I've had this year, after Oakshire's Ill Tempered Gnome.

3.98/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance - Pours a dark reddish brown with an off-white, finger width head. Good retention. Leaves a nice, sticky lacing on the glass.

Smell - Sweet aroma, consisting of caramel, toffee, fig, and slight toasted malts.

Taste - More hoppy on the tongue than in the nose. Toasted bread, with lesser notes of caramel and toffee. Fruity esters, hitting on fig, then a nice citrus hop comes through mid-taste and takes the reigns for the finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium body with a bit of stickiness. Fair carbonation. Finishes dry.

Overall - This is a solid winter seasonal, though I'm a bit perplexed at labeling this a "double alt" when I've had standard alts with just as much flavor and ABV. Still, I'm enjoying the brew, and may be a future purchase.

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber

A- I think this is a very pretty beer. Super dark but translucent red. Looked almost black but the red comes through when held up to the light. A thick off-white head dissipated rather slowly.

S- As the head dissipated, sweet malts come through with a bit of sprucey hop freshness.

T- Caramel, chocolate, and other sweet malts, with just a bit of smokiness. Surprisingly well balanced for such a malty beer. Fruity in a good way.

M- Pretty thick on the palate. Low carbonation and just a bit of stickiness. Just the right amount of warmth for a Christmas beer.

O- I love it. Tastes hoppier than I would expect from a dark double atlbier (though I've never had an ale described exactly like that before this), but less bitter than the IBU rating had me bracing for - this hoppiness works brilliantly for such a sweet beer.

3.98/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a deep dark brown with an auburn hair when held to the light. Very clear and has a nice sticky off white head. Smells of caramel and Munich malt, with a touch of dark, toasted bread and spicy herbal hops. Taste is much the same with a nice roasty bite, and a hint of winter spices finish the painting. Feel is a tad bitter, but welcomed to cut the sweetness down just enough. Surprisingly smooth, medium carbonation. Overall, this beer is much better than I remember, and a great winter warmer. Liked the old term "Dark Double Alt Ale", but "Winter Ale" seems a bit more appropriate. Cheers!

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Fucking metal holiday artwork

copper color sparkling lacing around snifter

no smell really at all some maltyness

in the beginning sweet chocolate roasty taste with slight cherry hints and caramel malt hidden within and then a hoppy bitter finish

light syrupy mouth feel with light carbonation

defiantly a beer worthy of slayers name

3.97/5  rDev +5.6%

As far as I can remember, this is one of my favorite Ninkasi beers, but I haven't had it in a while, and the brewery has expanded a lot over the last couple of years. A interesting (and aggressive) pour yields a one and a half finger head into my standard pint glass. The head is about half creamy and fluffy looking and half somewhat soapy and bubbly, but that is probably due to the aggressive pour. The head is an extremely light brown, maybe even more off-white than light brown, that's how light it is. The lacing looks like it will be great, but we will have to see for sure as I get down the glass. The head retention was pretty good, it hung around for quite some time. Now, after about 5 minutes, I still have some bubbles on top of the body. The body is very dark, but for sure not black. It has some black in it, but also brown and ruby. Visibility is zero. I can't really see the carbonation due to the color. Overall it's a nice body, slightly unique for a winter beer - having red in it and all, but then again I'm not familiar with the style. Either way it's still a good look. We will see how the lacing goes, but this is a good looking beer so far. On the nose I get just a wonderful malt smell. Very full, rich, deep malt aroma. Roasty and chocolatey too. Perhaps a touch of coffee on the nose as well. Not a whole lot in the way of hops, and frankly not a whole lot other than the great malt smell. It's a solid 4, but a few other aromas could go a long way. With that being said, it still smells great. Yeah, this is a nice beer, pretty close to what I remember too. You get that nice, chocolatey malt flavor up front. Frankly it's not as dominating as I was expecting, which is a little disappointing, but it's not the end of the world. It's also extremely sweet, malty sweet. I like the sweetness, but it may be a hair too much. Not much going on in the way of hops at all. A little bit of spices perhaps, there seems to be something other than delicious malts going on here. Kind of like a cinnamon vibe. I doubt it's cinnamon that's in here, but something in that realm. This beer is more than just your average winter beer, but just by a little bit. I don't think it has enough to be a 4.5. It's a solid 4, but let it be known that it's a little more than just a nice malty beer. The mouthfeel isn't bad. It's slightly thinnger than I would like, but it's not bad. It for sure has some thickness to it, just not quite as thick as I want in a hearty winter beer. The carbonation is for sure low, but that works in a winter beer. It may be a hair lower than it should be, but overall it's good for the style. It has a slightly creamy feel to the mouth as well. Even though I really like the mouthfeel, it does have some areas it needs to improve on. It's really right in between a 3.5 and a 4. The lack of carbonation and body makes me want to give this beer a 3.5 for feel. However, the carbonation and body are both very close to being spot on, and I really like the slight creaminess, and really the overall feel, enough to give it a 4. For being 7.2% ABV, this beer is DAMN drinkable! I would have never guessed this beer was 7.2% if the bottle didn't say it. It really drinks like a 5.5% or a 6% beer, great drinkability. Overall it's a solid beer. Not the most amazing beer ever, but for sure one I will have again. There really isn't anything wrong with the flavor at all, it just doesn't have enough pizzazz to be more than a good beer. So, overall, it's a good beer.

The flavor really started to get sweet. The malts still played a big role, but I would say that the sweetness may have become more dominant.

The appearance turned out to be...eh, not bad. The lacing was there, but it wasn't that pretty. It was somewhat patchy and EXTREMELY soapy and bubbly. It didn't look like your average lacing at all, rather - worse than average. I'm not quite sure how to grade this because the head was nice. The body wasn't really amazing, but better than average I supposed, for sure unique regardless. The lacing wasn't bad, just...not my cup of tea. I'm going to give it a 3.5 for appearance. I could give it a 4 but...I wouldn't say I've cut this beer any breaks, but there have been a few grades that I gave a 4 to instead of a 3.5 already.

3.97/5  rDev +5.6%

This is a ruddy amber, a little like a darker, cloudy apple cider.

The cinder comparison is apt, as hints of it come across the flavor profile. (I’m thinking of Michigan cider, warmed with cinnamon, not hard cider.) There’s hints of cinnamon and cloves, as well as a hop profile that reminds me of pine sap and squeezed grapefruit.

It’s a unique one, and it’s tasty—not your typical holiday ale!

3.97/5  rDev +5.6%

Winter brew fun continues here! Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz bottle.

Color is reddish-brown, complete with a nicely placed 2 finger head when poured semi-aggressively. Carbonation seems to glide in droves to the top of the glass. Not much lacing overall, and the head dies down rather quickly. It is a seasonal looking beer for sure, but it's definitely an odd combo overall in presentation.

The aroma consists of strong malted aromas combined with dark fruits (often resembling blackberries), honey, brown sugar (and LOTS of it), as well as a hoppy backdrop that is reminiscent of English bitters but still contains the West Coast zest. The doubled malt recipe is pretty obvious even here, but it definitely has a more malty flavor than bready. I realize this beer is also heavily spiced, but I can't find very many spices here except for maybe peppers and medicinal herbs of sorts. It's far better cold, but definitely not too bad even when it warms up!

As expected, the extreme maltiness of this beer seems to only come around as it warms up gradually. I do like the initial hoppy flavor that attacks the palate, as it reminds me of an extremely dry, orange peel concoction. The finish becomes exponentially malty as it is affected by temperature, but on the other hand, the yeasty aromas I liked seem to disappear as well. The caramelized honey flavors jump at you pretty strongly, and this goes well with its syrupy body. There's no overpowering spices to speak of here, and for a winter release, this is surprisingly drinkable and works better than most spice-infused winter releases I've had so far.

This may be too malty for me (and not yeasty enough, which is what I enjoy most in "dubbel" styled beers), but it isn't bad at all, especially when consumed chilled. Warmed up is a different story altogether, but I'll probably have another for the holidays. Worth a try, as it's quite experimental in some ways.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A: Beyond brilliant clarity, but very weak head-so it's a push there. Dark amber/copper.

S: Alluringly rich aroma. Chocolate and caramel with light fruity esters that I'd have to identify as fig and grape. They work in combination and seem very festive.

M: Medium body. A little harsher than smooth, but not unpleasant. Moderately high carbonation. Rising astringency.

T: High malt character. Some dark fruit flavors and perfume from hops. Kola nut flavor really reminds me of Christmas, but just because of those Coca-Cola cans. Still, this beer works psychologically. Probably not as good as the rating suggests. Earthy flavors and very nut-like finish. Slight metallics really linger in the aftertaste.

3.95/5  rDev +5.1%

Review from 11/2010 notes. Poured into a Nostradamus flute glass. Pours a dark brown with red highlights; light head and lacing. Aroma of fruit, bread and malt. Medium body. Malty flavor with a peppery bite in the middle. Roasty and dark malt, light fruit, a bit of nut, some cocoa, mild hops. Dry spicy finish. A nice revisitable seasonal ale. This really grew on me as I finished the glass.

3.95/5  rDev +5.1%

22oz bottle poured out into a big stein. Straight from Portland sent by homeboy GD via Jeff and Phyllis.

A: Dark chocolate brown with an eggshell white head that settles into a thick film.

S; Very malty as expected - pumpernickel or spiced raisin cake. Some earthy European hops are also slightly noticeable.

T: This is substantially more bitter than most alts I've had previously. Along with the sharp hops, there's chocolate and smoked malts, coffee, and some alcohol spice. Has some slight fruit characters, especially raisin, but they take a back seat to the hops and are most apparent in the finish.

M: Light to medium body, slightly sticky with full carbonation.

A little bitter, but overall, a well made beer that's easy to appreciate. Would love to have another bottle of this stuff.

3.95/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

16oz pub glass
Pours dark, almost like a red ale, but thicker. Smells of malt and a hint of hopped bitterness. Tasted malt-driven, a little hoppy mid.. and light bitter back-bite. Smooth, light carbonation.

I bought a single of this beer, Feb 2016, but they were all gone when I went back to buy a sixer. I finally was able to get a sixer this past December and I'm glad I did. Pleasantly surprised at how this beer tasted overall.

3.95/5  rDev +5.1%

appearance - dark but slightly transparent, medium head

smell - malts and dark fruit

taste - malt, sugar, fruit hints (date, fig type thing going on)

mouthfeel - medium body due to high carbonation but light mouthfeel

overall - tasty malty beverage from ninkasi, not their best, not their worst

Sleigh'r Dark Doüble Alt Ale from Ninkasi Brewing Company