Sleigh'r Dark Doüble Alt Ale | Ninkasi Brewing Company

Ninkasi Brewing Company
Oregon, United States
ninkasibrewing.com

Style: Altbier

Called 'Dark Double Alt' on the label.

Seize the season with Sleigh'r. Layers of deeply toasted malt are balanced by just enough hop bitterness to make it deceivingly drinkable. Paired with a dry finish, Sleigh’r is anything but your typical winter brew.

An Alt ferments with Ale yeast at colder lagering temperatures. This effect gives Alts a more refined, crisp lager-like flavor than traditional ales. The Alt has been “Ninkasified” raising the ABV and IBUs. Sleigh'r has a deep, toasted malt flavor that finishes dry and balanced.

Added by msubulldog25 on 01-08-2009

4.25/5  rDev +13%

Great beer has got to be the #1 reason to live in the Northwest. Ninkasi is producing some remarkable contributions to the craft beer legend here. The dark couble alt, Sleighr, is a worthy offering. Beautiful mahogany color, nice enduring lacing, malty without tasting like my mom's drop bisquits. Smoth mouthfeel and perfect carbonation. Makes my day.

4.25/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.23/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.75

Being a slayer fan I was super excited about this one.

A: pours an extremely dark brown with a very thin quickly disapating white head.

S: Not much going on in the nose. A bit of nuttiness, caramel malts, and a bit of cocoa Smells a bit festive would be a good way to describe this. Nothing overpowering.

T: nutty, a bit malty with slight coffee notes. with a very pronounced hop bitterness at the end that surprised me because I couldn't detect any hops in he nose. I like it a lot.

M: thin carbonation wish it was a bit more viscous. It left my lips a bit sticky.

Overall: I had high hopes for a beer that bared the name of the almighty thrash lords known as slayer. It did not let me down. I need to blast some altar of sacrifice while I enjoy this. I'd recommend this beer to any metal or hop head.

4.23/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bomber purchased in Dec been ageing. Loved it in Dec hopefully it works even better now. Poured into standard pint.

A: dark red/brown like a the child of a red ale and a porter. Not much head from this 7.5 month old bottle and a sparse cap. Leaving adequate lacing.

S: Ethanol and dark malt. Big chocolate on the nose too. Reminds me of a 16% stout I once loved.

T: lots of chocolate taste, a little roasty, and a bit like slightly burned biscuits. The hops have setteled down a bit from what I remember but still there. A slight bitter note at the end then ethanol warming.

M: thicker side of medium with just enough chew. Smooth with just a bit of carbonation.

O: Good stuff at this age, the alcohol seems to be stronger and the hops a little less. Might have let it sit a little too long but it is still one of my favorites.

Sleigh'r Dark Doüble Alt Ale from Ninkasi Brewing Company