Spring Reign | Ninkasi Brewing Company

Spring ReignSpring Reign

Ninkasi Brewing Company
Oregon, United States
ninkasibrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Availability: Spring

Ninkasi website:
"6% alc./vol. 38 ibus."

Added by ClockworkOrange on 02-13-2009

4.04/5  rDev +13.2%

A: Opaque golden copper color with a creamy tan head.

S: A little malt and some peach, orange and citrus peel in the nose.

T: Interesting. Starts out malty, followed by dull fruits, then citrus, which crescendos and becomes a bit tart and lemony in the finish.

M: Light bodied and smoothish, crisp and refreshing.

O: It was a bit light for my taste, and the taste was not what I was hoping for and a bit disappointing after the nose. Still worth a try.

3.13/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Look - medium golden color, with about two fingers' worth of foam that dissipates somewhat slowly.

Smell - slightly musky aroma, but with a hint of citrus. Definitely more malty than hoppy, at least in the aroma.

Taste - sweet sense of maltiness to begin with, but quickly turns bitter. I can't quite taste the hops, but you can certainly feel them in the taste, which seems a little strong for this style.

Mouthfeel - medium body, a little on the creamy side.

Overall - Not a bad brew, but seems a little off for this style. Not bad in general though.

3.58/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I had this in a big ol' bottle that was given to me as a gift. A Portland local said it was one of the more popular breweries at the time (Spring 2013) so I was a bit excited. Can't testify for said person's beer IQ though.

Just a quick review of this beer - I was in awe by the color. It was a deep beautiful orange- I was expecting it to be a much more pale beer. The smell was floral and hoppy without much else being present. That's how it drank as well. Pretty simple, basic pale ale. I could see myself drinking these pretty easily, but not a beer I'd go out of my way to find.

Spring Reign from Ninkasi Brewing Company