Radiant Summer Ale | Ninkasi Brewing Company

Radiant Summer AleRadiant Summer Ale

Ninkasi Brewing Company
Oregon, United States
ninkasibrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Availability: Summer

6% alc./vol. 40 IBUs
Millenium, Galena, Northern Brewer, Liberty hops. Dry-hopped with Liberty.

Added by msubulldog25 on 06-04-2009

3.72/5  rDev +6.3%

Today I had dental work done. That sucked. But now I have beer, which doesn't suck.

Tonight I went with this beer because it was cheap and not too strong and I've liked Ninkasi's brews in the past.

APPEARANCE: Mostly clear golden orange...somewhere around SRM 9. There's some sediment floating around in the bottle that make me think I'm about to drink a Belgian Golden Ale or something. I can't recall seeing sediment in a pale ale.

NOSE: Straw, grass, mild lemon/lime that seems to get more pronounced with each smell. Yeast. Reminds me a little of a saison. I really love the aroma of this, though it's not what I was expecting.

TASTE: Not too much going on. Sweet malt, faint breadiness. There's that citrus zest from the nose. It says on the bottle the hops are earthy and floral - both are accurate but I'd say it's the latter that shines more. Perfume/fragrant. It's a little on the astringent side.

MOUTHFEEL: Light bodied and lots of carbonation.

FINISH: Very dry, with a citrusy/fragrant astringency. Not enough to be an immediate turnoff, but I don't really like the finish.

OVERALL: Radiant is okay. Nothing special, but not bad, either. I love the nose on this beer, and I really enjoy the mouthfeel. This would be a lovely summer-time beer, and if they sold it in smaller bottles (or even cans) I'd be inclined to pick it up from time to time. But I feel the floral/fragrant hops are just a bit too much. I'd recommend this beer, but it's not their best.

75/100

4.25/5  rDev +21.4%

3.44/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

650ml bottle.

A: cloudy gold/copper, with a big billowy head that slowly dissipates leaving lots of lacing around the glass.
S: some citrusy hop notes, a bit of grassiness, some floral notes.
T: This seems more like an IPA than a pale ale to me. In other words, I actually kind of like it.
F: medium/thin, crisp.
O: I wouldn't buy this again, but it's certainly not awful or anything. I just didn't love it.

3.68/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Enjoyed out of a brown 22 oz bottle with no discernible dating that I can find. Poured into a 50 cL glass stein with a textured exterior.

Appearance - Very beautiful, with a one-and-a-half finger head of frothy bubbles the color of linen. Retention is very durable and there is light lacing that dissipates pretty quickly. The body is a changing collection of shades of orange. Deep amber at its darkest and a golden peachy hue at its lightest.

Smell - Crisp and clean, with elements of buttered fresh biscuit, cracker and some orange zest and green-smelling grassy component. A bit less airy than what I might expect from a summer Pale, but very nice all the same.

Taste - Like the smell, the taste is simple and clean, with a nice caramel base complimented by bittering hops that give the impression of dandelions and lightly roasted brussels sprouts. The term "barley tea" really comes to mind as well.

Mouthfeel - A body that is on the light side of medium with moderate carbonation. A slightly bittersweet finish.

Overall, a very tasty APA, and one that is a little more earthy than what I would typically expect from a summer pale ale. Reminds me of some of my favorite year-round pale ales.

Radiant Summer Ale from Ninkasi Brewing Company