1. Introducing the Respect Beer® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to add-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Maiden The Shade | Ninkasi Brewing Company

ABV: 6.8

Reviews by beagle75:

4.14/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours golden yellow with a white head.Nose is citrusy, sweet and floral. Comes together on the palate like a spiked lemony sugar cookie blast with a strong bitter to finish it. Forceful and well made.

I paired this with two dishes. A light salad with apples and a lemon dressing and some home made breaded chicken with a sweet chili and liime dipping sauce.

3.8/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a nice standard one and a half finger head into my standard pint glass. The head is almost completely white, maybe a hair off white, the head is pretty consistent all around, mostly small bubbles, slightly creamy looking, slightly soapy and foamy looking as well. The head is leaving good lacing throughout the glass. The body has a pretty standard IPA look to it, bight orange, not as cloudy as I would like though. I like it when my IPA's are nice and cloudy, this one is dark enough so you can't see through in completely, but for the most part it's not very cloudy and the visibility is pretty high. The carbonation looks very high, but we will see on the taste. The head has died down and is pretty much gone, but it's left a very nice rim of lacing around the top of the body along with a fair amount of foam on top of the main part of the body. Overall a very nice looking beer here, my only complaint is the lack of cloudiness. The smell is really excellent, huge hops flavor, much more than in there Total Domination, very rough around the edges, which some people might not like, but it's an IPA, it should be rough! You can smell the alcohol in this one, hopefully it's not too bad on the taste. Nice small malt note in there to keep things reasonable. Overall it's a really excellent taste, and on some smells I'm considering giving this a 4.5 on smell, but it's just not quite there yet. The hops are very strange in this beer, not crisp like I like them to be, very bitter, tart and not much bite to them, just boring really. It's hard to explain because there is for sure carbonation, the hops are just...off. You get a bitterness and most of the carbonation up front and then in the end comes the standard hop flavor, they really shouldn't be split up that far in my opinion. Then in the very end comes that alcohol kick, which is pretty standard in beers to have that come in the end, but in this beer it's a little aggressive. Like I said in the beginning this beer is rough around the edges, but I thought I would like that more than I really am. It's just a little boring really, and a little "off" (at least with the hops). There is for sure enough flavor, and it's not watered down or anything, just a little boring and off. With all that being said, it's still a solid IPA, and I can't really complain too much here or there because it's a good beer. If I were to explain this beer the best way I could I would say that you take your average IPA's, your amazing IPA's and your terrible IPA's and this beer kinda falls in a gray area between average and...I dunno where, it's not bad, it's not amazing, it's just off. Still a great beer, and I actually really enjoy it, just off. I really don't want to give this beer a 3.5 on taste, because it's a solid craft brew, but it's just not really doing it for me right now. Mouthfeel is pretty standard for an IPA, not too big, maybe on the small side, but that's ok, the carbonation is exactly where it should be so that's good. Drinkability is a little low just because of the alcohol in the end, but overall it[s not too bad. Overall a very good beer, just not doing it for me in some areas.

As I continue to drink this beer at times I want to give it a 4, but now that I'm down to the last 2/3 of my pint glass (out of a 22) it's really watery. Now, considering that it was off originally, and now a lot of the taste is gone and it's tasting watery, I think 3.5 is pretty justified.

4.6/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Definitely my favorite beer from Ninkasi. Lighter than most IPAs, which makes it a perfect beer for Summertime, for those who still crave hops when it's hot.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%

3.89/5  rDev -1.3%

4.3/5  rDev +9.1%

22oz bottle. Served in a plastic cup due to circumstances beyond my control. Sigh.

Pours a hazy but bright gold with a big off-white sea foam head. Tons of lacing.

Aroma is mainly citrus and some piney hops. Caramel malt sits directly behind this.

Taste is more of a blend of floral, earthy, grassy, and citrus hops than the nose. Caramel malt sweetness sits at a pretty perfect level for this IPA. Very nice lingering bitterness in the finish.

Body and carbonation are both about medium, and work well for a summer beer.

This is a great tasting brew, and my kind of summer ale.

4.59/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.98/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

22oz bottle format – Imperial nonic glass
Last noted on 09/29/15

This one took me by surprise with its bold and fresh hoppiness.
Straw gold body with some well-defined clearness. A dense pillow top of bone white froth comes together, holding true for a few prolonged minutes. Lots of streaky lace decorates my glass as well. Citrus fruit abounds from the glass. A great melding of tangelo, grapefruit, and lemon. Dashy of leafy herbals and resinous greens there. Light malt backing with touch of sugary cracker. Zings on the palate with those zesty citric hops and an upper amount of bittering kettle additions. Lemony, with tangerine, pine, and grapefruit. Slightly herbal and grassy. Sugary malt cracker presents with some modest alcohol notes. Rather clean with a nice drying lift in the finish. A nice summer crusher right here.

4.11/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle. No visible bottling date info
(my wife's son manages a bar in Seattle and brings home samples that the distributor gives him. This is one of those samples. Thank you to Schuyler!)

Pours a body that's almost clear with a white head. Lots of retention and thin lacing

Smell is somewhat prominent overall. I'm getting a lot of tropical fruits mostly pineapple. Also getting a slight whiff of malt, but it's a little different then the common "bready malt" scent.

Taste follows with a wonderful bitterness. (I like my beers bitter, like Brittany Spear's divorce!)

Feel is a fairly even but more velvety then most IPA's. A bit unusual but good. True to the style? maybe not but I like it a lot! Almost gave the feel a 5...

Wow, I might have to actually pay for another six pack of this beer . As I read the label it says they use "flaked barley" to malt this beer. That's probably what made the feel so unique. I can taste the work that somebody put into brewing this beer...Bravo !

3.67/5  rDev -6.9%

Beer sent to me by my sister in Oregon, then forwarded to my brother Klym, for a family share package that arrived earlier this week.

Poured into a generic tulip.

A: Copper orange with a real clear orange jolly rancher look. Some yellows flash temporarily with movement, and the slightly yellowed white foams crawl down the glass for a weaker than expected lacing. The head was about 2 fingers, and disappeared a bit faster than I would have liked. Interesting color, but the other characteristics were underwhelming.

S: Tropical fruits that leaned heavily to pineapple and mangos with some greeness/skin still attached. A bit of Mandarin orange juiciness in the nose with some slightly green clementines. Only citrus comes off in the spectrum of small oranges. Mostly tropical fruit with just a slight bit of alcohol that's unexpected given that its a single American IPA, but it's not overwhelming, just like a splash of triple sec. Not bad here, just a bit mellow.

T: This beer really does just taste mellow. Some nice flavors of pineapple, but little else besides a light grassiness of a fading hop. A mellow flavor of bamboo chutes that I like, but it all comes off to light and watery. It's like drinking an IPA that had ice in it, and the ice melted. Once again, some nice light flavor, but it just seems disproportionate in its lightness.

M: Really nice mouth, very buttery with some silky smoothness. The mouth really doesn't come off so watery, it just seems light and silky. A slight peanut oil like thickness that gives it a bit of a medium feel. Definitely a bigger more complex mouth than I would have ever expected for a beer that tastes like this. Really light bubble presence, but it's not lost as the slight oiliness fills in the gaps very well.

O: I think this would be really worth trying plucked off the line straight from the brewery. If this was super fresh I'd be very anxious to compare this bottle with that. The flavors were simple but good; but I found myself really frustrated with its lightness. I'm all for drinkable IPAs, but this really had a melted ice factor to the flavor that I didn't dig. I'm torn as the mouth feel was really very solid, and I am not certain of the age or condition of this beer. I'd definitely revisit, but honestly there wasn't so much in the flavor that makes me want to buy another bottle. Then again maybe I would if I was positive about its freshness. This is at least worth a try.

3.79/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle poured into a Pint glass.

A - Pours a pale, dull cloudy orange with a creamy-yellow colored head that has good retention.

S - Very mild citrus and sweet malts.

T - Again very mild, more grassy, floral, some more malts, and citrus.

D - Lots of carbonation here, dare I say, almost too much.

O - Very easy drinking. Mild, so nothing really stood out.

3.84/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From notes taken 07/07/16:

First pour is moderately clear, not what I’d call hazy, but some measure of opacity. Added the rest, unsurprisingly much more hazy. Orange amber capped by fluffy, light biscuity tan head of superior retention. By the way, there was a fermented critter of some sort in this, looked...well-preserved very small. I guess that happens in the industry, didn’t really bother me. Smells of resin, raisin, booze, stone fruit, citrus oil, grain aromas. Malty-tart and caramel base but definitely hop-forward: light perfume, a lot of stone fruit character, almost mango, small parts resin/pine, more so rind/soap. Light pepper in the finish, but more so just perfumey and bitter. Overall tastes IIPA-like. Medium to full in body, velvety but tingly suds throughout. Not terribly warming. Which is good, I assume as a “Summer Style” IPA, it is supposed to be refreshing, and it is somewhat is (albeit heavy on the flavor).

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

4.19/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This one pours straw colored with a large but frail head. Aroma is light and flowery, even with the slight dankness from the hops. It's apt, as this is labeled as a summer-style beer. Flavor wise it's a nice, sweet bread malt balanced out by a bitter pine that never feels disruptive. It's also a wonderfully chewy and creamy...I wish they'd make this brew one of their full-time flagships, so the price would come down a bit...

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

3.93/5  rDev -0.3%

3.21/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%