Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Market Cross Excaliber Imperial Stout | Market Cross Pub & Brewery

marketcrosspub.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by Fish113d on 03-22-2006

Reviews by tgbljb:

Enjoyed on tap at the brewpub.
Served as a virtually black colored beer with moderate tannish puffy head,
Smell is remarkable for roasted malt, and a bit of bitter coffee.
Taste also presents that roasted malt, and a moderate bitterness slowly develops.
Austerely dry at the finish. Alcohol completely hidden (except for the first taste)
A very nice example of the style.

3.8/5  rDev +1.9%

An imperial pint served at the Carlisle brewpub.

A: The stout is pitch black, showing off deep red colors only at the edge of the glass. A finger and a half of tan-colored head coates the top of the glass and slowly dissapates, lacing all around the glass as it is consumed.

S: The nose is a big malty explosion, full of burnt toast and chocolate, lots of bready grains are present. Hops don't really stand out scent-wise.

T: The ale is a nice big sip, full of the roasted malts, chocolate, caramel, espresso. The flavors are big but they don't betray the 10%+ abv, which is a double-edged sword (good but dangerous). A bitterness emerges mid-sip that doesn't really strike me as hoppy, rather it is the burnt acrid malt body showing added dimension. This is a good sipper.

M: Nice big mouth, with a lot going on in one sip.

D: The abv is big, so it is a case of caveat emptor. If I had not had two boys under three with me, I would have gone for another pint.

3.98/5  rDev +6.7%

Excellent Imperial Stout. One of the best beers MCP makes. Dark and solid in taste and mouthfeel. Choc and some bready flavors. Dry finish. Very good. The high alcohol is hidden and you wont know its a 10.3% brew. Pretty amazing coming from a small 10bbl system that is basically the same a large homebrew set up. No automation at all!

2.93/5  rDev -21.4%

This was on tap at recently discovered local brewpub (Market Cross)

This was the first Imperial Stout I ever enjoyed so I didn't know what to expect outside the realm of typical stouts.

Apperance was black with minimal head.

Smell was strong and deep not much different than the average stout.

Taste wasn't horrible, a bit "metallic" is the only way to describe with hints of malt. This beer is very, very heavy.

Mouthfeel was full hardly any foam.

Drinkability at least for me gets a hit because of the heaviness.

As I said this was my first Imperial Stout ever and it took me over an hour to just drink one. I don't know if it was because of the heaviness, the conversation I involed with, but I don't think I will seeking it out any time soon.

3.91/5  rDev +4.8%

I tried this in an english ale glass on tap.

Pours black in color with a very thin, tan dense head that clings to the glass like bubbles to the side of a bathtub. Aroma is a lot of brown sugar!!! Holy Hannah!!! Not much else there that I can smell due to bar aromas and the brown sugar smell. I'm sure there's more. Sipping reveals a bit of honey flavor up front with lots of burnt brown sugar and a bit of oatmeal maybe. Toward the swallow, I taste a bit of oatmeal, chocolate, and maybe some plums there also. Very heavy body and a lot of alcohol in this one. Full-bodied (duh!). Heavy, but drinkable. I really enjoyed this one, and I wanted two, but I was driving ;)

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

Draft pint at the brewpub in Carlisle: Very dark black with a maroon tinge and a thin milky tan head. Very milky aroma; if my eyes were closed, I'd want to pour this on my cereal. The first gulp is pretty good; slightly acohol-tinged, roasty and yummy, a nice robust beer for this bitterly cold Pennsylvania afternoon. (#2722, 2/19/2007)

3.73/5  rDev 0%

This Imperial Stout was served on-tap from Market Cross in Carlisle, PA. Pours a dark black with a typical brownish head.

First taste reveals a smooth but slightly bitter twang with a kick of alcohol. The menu labels it as 8.5-10.5% but I assume this was on the high end of that scale. A representation of the RIS, but not the best. It was dark and smooth, alcohol was well hidden and the flavor was complex, but I felt that it was missing something. For a season beer from a small local brewpub though, it was wonderful.

Market Cross Excaliber Imperial Stout from Market Cross Pub & Brewery