E.S.B. | Broad Ripple Brew Pub

Broad Ripple Brew Pub
Indiana, United States
broadripplebrewpub.com

Style: Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB)

Added by zerk on 10-24-2002

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.04/5  rDev -2.9%

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I style of beer I always have loved over the last 21 years and in a format that I would drink first in most places if it was available. Of the currently available beers of this style in my area, Sawtooth Ale (not the nitro one) and Fullers ESB are clearly it's only peers. When visiting other areas I buy ESB when I see it around. Still Broad Ripple has been doing this well for a long time and has kept it around because they do ESB good.

4.12/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.94/5  rDev -5.3%

3.79/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.27/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.29/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Need more substance in an esb

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

3.8/5  rDev -8.7%

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

4.74/5  rDev +13.9%

A - It pours in an exceptionally picturesque manner. Never have I seen a cask beer look so good. The brown body proudly boasts a generous crown of off-white frothy head. I am astounded.

S - Amazing, fantastic, beyond superlative. Delectable notes of cocoa and vanilla mingle with a rich maltiness and a bright grassy-leafy hop bitterness.

T - This beer is loaded with complexity and subtlety; it is also the picture of balance. The earthy, leafy, grassy and resiny hop is very forward in the mix, but the malt is ample and sturdy. Notes of rich malt meld into nuances of vanilla and cocoa, and the hop segues from bitter to more herbal as the glass empties.

M - Velvety and luxurious, with ample brightness and effervescence. The best cask I've ever had.

D - I would drink many a pint of this if I lived in Indianapolis.

4.32/5  rDev +3.8%

This was the best beer I had at Broad Ripple when I was recently there. This is a great example of a Bitter: hazy golden color, moderate lacing, great smell (biting hops) and the taste is amazing. Perfectly balanced malt and hops; not too bitter and just the right amount of fruity sweetness. This and their double IPA go great with fish'n'chips.

3.78/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

another beer for me. another reason to get divorced.

the esb is a radiant red with absolutely no head. what is it with me not getting any head?

bitter, sour aroma of grain and cabbage. I didn't say it was great.

the flavor is very good. it is a nice spicy hop flavor right up front which maintains its body until a bitter flavor kicks in. slightly fruity quality in this one as well, as well as a little grassy aftertaste.

thick, undercarbonated mouthfeel.

very decent brew here. more carbonation please, but that is my personal preference. great flavor on this.

3.48/5  rDev -16.3%

Copper colored and slightly hazy. Not much head to speak of. Aroma is malty sweetness. Big hop flavor and aftertaste, but it does not overpower the malt backbone. Hop flavor is a bit woody. Medium bodied.

The menu says this beer won a gold at the GABF. It is a good beer, but I have to say of all those I sampled I liked the Replic Ale (Cask-conditioned Scottish-80) better than the rest.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast