Arbor Brewing Sacred Cow IPA | Arbor Brewing Company

arborbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Added by beernut7 on 07-30-2002

3.65/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: A solid looking amber color. I was working outside so I didn't pay much attention, but I did notice the massive head when I was pouring -- off-white, creamy. I had more head than beer when I first poured... don't be too aggressive with it. Not very much lacing despite the head.

Smell: Quite floral. Malty. Somewhat sweet. Nothing too memorable, but it definitely smells like an IPA.

Taste: Floral hops. Resinous. Somewhat dry. Mildly soapy. Drinks very easily. It's a pretty ordinary IPA, but it's a fair price, it's local, and there's nothing bad about it. It's pretty hoppy on the front, but balanced nicely, so it's not too assertive. I enjoy it.

A respectable beer. My first from Arbor, and it's good enough that I'd be more than willing to have another or try some of their other brews.

2.5/5  rDev -32.4%

3.56/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3

bottle into snifter

appearance: dark cloudy orange, huge white head, very bubbly

smell: hay, very earthy, not much tropical notes,

taste: earthy bitterness, apple, almost a pilsner like body, very minor

mouthfeel: high carbonation, thin body

overall: A bitter IPA that's alright, not a whole lot of flavor but not terrible either. I'd reccomend trying it, but don't seek it out.

3.07/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This beer was poured from the bottle to a clean pint glass. The appearance was fairly beautiful, with a nice think head and an interesting tan/copper color.

The smell was a little lackluster. I didn't smell much hops, which is something I think a good IPA should showcase. I did smell some nice fruity blend however.

The taste had a little more hops than the smell, which is good. I also tasted various citrus and floral-like flavors. But the drink lacked a taste of focus in it's taste, everything just sort of blended together without anything sticking out.

The mouthfeel was really interesting. It was pretty sparkling and fairly carbonated. Some people may not like it, but I loved the tiny shock I got every time I went to take a drink.

Overall it's a pretty good IPA. I'm not really a fan of IPA, but this one appeals to me. If you're not a huge IPA drinker this may be a good introduction into it. It may not appeal to big IPA drinkers, however, because of the lack of a hoppy focus.

2.76/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: a lightish yellow, almost strawy color. a tad too clear. white head that doesn't really stick around

Smell: citrusy hops all day. not bad but i really like a lot more dimensions in my beer

Taste: opens up more with both citrus and breadiness, but very unbalanced and just plan not very tasty to me

Mouthfeel: way too bitter. extremely sticky

Overall: I love Arbor Brewing. This beer just does not do it. It could use a unique dimension or just more balance rather than being a citrusy tangy bitter bomb.

Arbor Brewing Sacred Cow IPA from Arbor Brewing Company