Viking Strong Beer

Notes:
View: Beers
Reviews by NeroFiddled:
3.78/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Harboes Bryggeri A/S “Viking Strong Beer”
,5l can “Best before (D/M/Y): 08092020” and sampled on 02122019
€1,95 @ Supermercato Conrad, Colle di Val D’Elsa, IT

Notes via stream of consciousness: I don’t exactly recall, but I’m pretty sure this is the first time that I’ve seen Arabic on a beer label. It’s also got English, German, Spanish, a secondary form of Spanish (Portuguese?), and Italian so I guess there’s that. Oddly this is made in Denmark but there’s no Danish included. It’s a clear dark gold beneath a short head of white. The head retention is limited, and disappears almost immediately. As you might expect based on that, the lacing is almost non existent. I can give it a little bit of a pass though as alcohol tends to hurt head retention and this is a whopping 12%! It’s sweetish, cereal like, and perfumey with a clear note of alcohol. It’s not bad though; I’m expecting a little bit of alcohol in a beer of 12%, and what’s there is not “hot”. Haha, that makes the Arabic on the label even that much more funny - a 12% beer for people who generally cannot drink alcohol. OK, back to the beer, what you find in the nose is what you find in the flavor. The malt is rich but basic. It’s sweet but the alcohol cuts through it, and it never becomes cloying. A very firm bitterness helps to dry it in the finish as well. Hops? Well I’m not finding anything more than a background smear of a kind of generic herbal hoppiness. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is made with hop extract, and I’m positive it’s made with “glucose syrup” as that’s listed on the label. As for the hops it says “hops” but that doesn’t really mean anything, they can call hop extract “hops” if they’d like. And I should also note that I’m not against hop extract at all, I’m just pointing it out. In the mouth it’s medium-full in body and quite dextrinous. A moderate carbonation enhances that feel, but at the same time the alcohol gives it a bit of an edge. For what it is, which is a cheap, strong Euro lager it’s not bad. A beer like this could easily be a disaster without proper fermentation technique but this is done well. On a cold night I could absolutely see drinking one of these.
Review #6,830