Elevator Dark Horse Lager | Elevator Brewery & Draught Haus

Availability: Fall

Added by Dogbrick on 12-19-2007

2.4/5  rDev -35%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Burnt amber edges to a dark brown center with a ridiculous tan head. This beer sat in the fridge for two weeks, and when gently opened it foamed over repeatedly. Pouring into a glass, it was all foam--needless to say, it is overly carbonated.

Smell is stale raisins, toast, toffee, wheat, and pumpernickel.

Taste is wheat toast, pumpernickel, dry raisin, and Brillo pad with rotten apple-like hops again (I've had this in another Elevator brew).

Moderate body and froth, finishing sticky and dry.

2.75/5  rDev -25.5%

2.76/5  rDev -25.2%

This not a fair review of this beer. I got this as a build your own six pack at an IGA. I think I got a bad bottle. When opened the bottle, the suds overflowed onto the counter, strange due to me not shaking the bottle, dropping the bottle or anything like that. I poured it into the pint glass and the head was very thick, it actually made up almost half the pour. I had to stop my pour. I waited five minutes and it did not go down.

This is where it gets interesting. I had to use a spoon to get some of the head out of the glass to pour the rest. The taste was okay, nothing special, but like I said, I think this was a bad bottle. I will find this again and give it a fair shot.

3.05/5  rDev -17.3%

I had this on-tap at the Huntington Field ball-park in Columbus. While I was pleased to find an alternative to Bud Light, I can't say this beer is anything to get too excited about. Dark-brown body, light frothy head. Minimal aroma. Flavor was Newcastle-ish; some light toffee roastiness accompanied by wateriness. Not bad, but hardly terrific.

3.2/5  rDev -13.3%

3.27/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle purchased just a few days ago near brewery.

Pours dark brown, clear, with a modest size head that has good retention and leaves a moderate amount of sticky lacing on the glass. The aroma is less attractive than hoped, with some earthy hop pellets and roasted grains. The flavor is similar in description but notably better and more complex.
Near medium body with medium carbonation.

O: not bad, but not up with, for example, better Czech versions.

3.3/5  rDev -10.6%

3.35/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

This is now called dark force It pours more head than liquid I had to drink the head down to pour the whole beer once it settles you get a reddish brown color with a big bread smell and taste with a medium malt finish

3.38/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: 12 oz bottle into a standard pint glass. Thanks to pop's garage refrigerator for passing this one into my stomach.

A- Dark coppery/brown. Pours with <1 finger of off white head, which settles quickly into an island of bubbles.

S- Toasty, with a light caramel malt sweetness.

T- Bready, slightly toasty malty sweetness dominates. Restrained hops and minimal bitterness.

M- Moderate carbonation. Medium-light feel.

O- Decent. Pleasant easy drinker....nothing to wow, but nothing offensive. A brew that you could kick a few of these back without much effort.

Future outlook: A pleasant easy drinking beer...but not really in line with my preferences, and not something I will likely seek out in the future.

Elevator Dark Horse Lager from Elevator Brewery & Draught Haus