Elevator Barrel Aged Espresso Stout | Elevator Brewery & Draught Haus

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by Spider889 on 09-17-2011

Reviews by MbpBugeye:
3.99/5  rDev -6.6%

On cask at the Columbus Microbrew Fest 2011. This turned out to be one of the best at the fest, and way up there for best Elevator beer I've gotten to taste.

Appearance
It's not that much to look at. Its just a glass of black liquid pretty much. A minor head is gone by the time you get the beer back to your seat.

Aroma
This aroma is bang on. The espresso has given this a potent coffee aroma, but its a very quality smell of coffee. None of that soggy coffee filter or day old pot of oily instant nonsense. This is rich, creamy, roasty and chocolaty coffee. Bourbon barrels are really taking the responsibility of smoothing things out, rather than giving this a boozy whack. There's a little bit of vanilla, most mostly cocoa and coffee run the show.

Taste
Not as stellar as the aroma, but not disappointing at all. The coffee is very fresh, clean, roasty and chocolatey. One could easily not realize that this beer is supposedly aged in bourbon barrels because that's not the main focus. Vanilla and coconut from the barrels take the edge off of the strong espresso bean flavor. Chocolate is interwoven. Nicely done.

Mouthfeel
Everyone's biggest gripe about this beer. Its too thin. Perhaps the lower gravity is what is allowing this beer to be so filled with that great coffee flavor and aroma, but the body needs to be pushed.

Overall
I hope they tweak this and make it fuller in body. I'd get down on a growler fill of this easily. Perhaps I should start paying attention to Elevator so I don't miss another chance to give this beer a go.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

On cask at the Columbus Microbrew Festival, this was possibly my favorite sampling of the day.

My glass is filled with a very black beer with a thick tan foamy head. Aroma is intense espresso roast, dark roasted malts, slightly sweet. Taste is similar to the nose. Espresso is powerful, but awesome to me, sweet and roasted malts balance out the bitterness from the espresso. Chocolate malts mingle in. Woody and earthy tones accompany the barrage of coffee flavors. The barrel aging doesn't come out too much. Bourbon is very subtle, which I prefer. This was a big beer, but offered little carbonation. Goes down extremely smooth for it's 9.5% ABV and is fairly clean drinking for what it is. Hell, I'm not even a big fan of coffee, but this beer was stellar... The only beer in which I went back for 2nds and definitely a beer worth trying if it is ever offered again. Dare I say that I'd put it up there with FBS?? It's close...

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%