Ghost Scorpion Lager | Elevator Brewery & Draught Haus

elevatorbrewing.com

Style: Chile Beer

Added by CFHMagnet on 03-22-2012

3.81/5  rDev +44.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I brought this to IL to let my neighbor try....it's hot. It poured a hazy copper with white head that is not leaving any lace. The scent had hints of sweet green chili. The taste is pepper hot....definitely the hottest beer I've ever had. The mouthfeel is medium in body with subtle carbonation. Overall it's HOT!

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This is hands down the nastiest beer I’ve ever had. That does not mean I regret drinking it. It was fun to try something with ghost pepper and scorpion pepper, the hottest peppers in the world. It was a personal challenge to finish it, my face became partially numb and I got a stomach ache for a brief time.

Look: cloudy copper hue with a thin white head.

Aroma: Mostly pepper and some malty sweetness and lemon

Taste: You could taste the two different kinds of pepper coming through, the smoky black pepper flavor from the scorpion pepper and the hot more regular chili or perhaps jalapeno-style flavor from the ghost pepper. The beer had other flavors, and the alleged IBU was 23, but you wouldn’t know it because almost all I could taste were the pepper flavors.

Feel: It had a fairly light body, typical lager, but it also had a juicy feel to it. If it weren’t for the pepper it would probably have been easy thirst quenching drinking and not a bad lager.

review from the other niggt thay didnt post...an extra from a trade from some point in time...not sure how old or fresh this is. I know I have had this for a WHILE. decided to pop alongside a ghost face killah, cause I was bored. from a sniff I knew this wasn't for me but when it touched my lips...what a mistake. YIKES. this 's a joke right?

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2

Well shit thanks to lard-o-deer for bringing this to one of the FiftyFifty parties, I think this was the summer solstice one.

Looked like a normal lager with maybe a little more orange going for it. Then the nose came and it smelled of spicy peppers and nothing else.

Taste, holy hell, that's all you can taste. It tastes like burning. Is there something else going on? No, maybe citrus/grapefruit that just brings out the heat more. That's all this beer is, burning.

Cool, you can brag you made the hottest beer, but it is still a shitty beer. I like a chile beer more than the next guy, but this is just chest thumping braggadocio.

3.4/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1.05/5  rDev -60.2%

4.22/5  rDev +59.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

1.47/5  rDev -44.3%

Looks like a lager. Smells like hot citrus fruit. Taste like linking Satan's anus . Feel: pain.

No thanks.

2.49/5  rDev -5.7%

3.12/5  rDev +18.2%

Oh yes....thanks for the bottle Rob. I've always been a fan of ultra hot foods and sauces, having had Blairs sixteen million reserve, barely taking it alive though still enjoying the ride. I've only had a few chile beers but they weren't anything memorable. Let's see how this one goes.

Look - Body is a very murky, almost swamp level orange with about a quarter finger of fizzly bone white head that trickles down to nothingness in the blink of an eye. Carbonation appears dead flat and the beer has some floaties. Lacing does not remain after the drink is finished.

Smell - I'm picking up a lot of the typical lager character and adjuncty ness with a very apparent heat. Smells more like jalapenos than a scorpion pepper to be quite honest, only the heat reminds you of what it truly is.

Taste - Hot. Hot. Hot. Hot. Hot. Indistinguishable adjuncts come through with a touch of lemon zest all quickly stomped with a venomous level of heat that builds and builds and builds then explodes leaving your mouth feeling as though it were covered in blisters. Midway through the drink the heat dies down a bit as your pain receptors are getting a nice cellular repair.

Feel - Basically sits how it drinks. Body is rather thin and watery with zero carbonation. Hot.

Overall - It was everything I had anticipated. The people rating it painfully low must have not understood what exactly a scorpion pepper is. These guys planning on brewing one with the new worlds hottest, the reaper pepper anytime soon? Really like to give that one a whirl. Anyway, if you don't like extreme heat, avoid.

4.91/5  rDev +86%

I gave this beer high marks for one reason: it did what it was supposed to. I have tried "spicy beer" and it was all terrible. Rogue Chipotle is good with a little spice, and Cave Creek Chili Beer is terrible with a lot of spice. Billy's Chilies was the best middle of the road example. This Ghost Scorpion is the true Leviathan of Chili Beer. Basic lager upon sipping with pepper feel that builds to an apocalypse of pain and suffering. 5/5 if you're tough enough and have milk and celery with bleu cheese ready. No one cares to examine this ale any further. Drink and cry or die, bitch.

2.38/5  rDev -9.8%

Bought cold at the brewery release July 25, 2015 and poured in to a pint glass. Enjoyed with a side glass of milk.

John "CaJohn" Hard was onsite to sign hot sauce bottles and beer bottles. He is the mastermind behind this beer. For the inaugural Hot Sauce Hall of Fame inductions this year, he was second behind the guy who made Tobasco. I bought three bottles of this and will be looking to age the other two in hopes they will mellow a little. When I review a beer, I try to give it 50% style points and 50% personal points. With that said, I am not sure this is a "style" of beer. Sure there are chili pepper beers, but this is crazy. I am not sure beer geek is the target audience for this beer. I am rating this as a standard chili beer with my personal preferences.

Look - The pour was odd. I started a hard, upright pour about 1/5 of the way in to the bottle and it developed a finger head. That fizzled down to nothing in one second (like acid swallowing something). The beer hasn't stopped fizzing since but no head at all. When the head was there it was dirty white. Murky orange body. I am going to rate this high for uniqueness.

Smell - The aroma clears my sinuses. There is a split second of lager initially. If you handle this heat, it is good. Because the smell is tolerable and does indeed smell like chili peppers with some beer characteristics, well done

Taste - Hot. When I say hot, I mean hot. Other reviews say it takes time for the heat to take hold, not with this year's fresh bottle. There is a plastic taste as well. I am trying to get a good taste of it, but not going to happen. Even a drop stings all the way down.

Feel - There is no alcohol burn that I can pick up. The peppers completely hide that. Very heavy for a lager.

Overall - I overheard my local bottle shop last year say one can only drink a shot glass of this. I don't know if I got that much down. I am aging the other two for a long, long time.

2.3/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1 | overall: 2.25

1.48/5  rDev -43.9%

Interesting appearance and smell, but very hot

2.76/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This is a quality beer, however...

If you cannot eat raw ghost/scorpion peppers without enjoying them, you will not enjoy this beer.

You can feel it going down your intestines.

1.5/5  rDev -43.2%

Gimic beer... only worth a sip, if that

3.25/5  rDev +23.1%

I don't even know how to rate this. Reminds me of home infused habanero vodka. Which I think is what they were going for.

3.5/5  rDev +32.6%

If i could give less than 1 star, I would. Excessively hot. I like spicy things. But, I could barely get down a sip before a wave of heat completely coated my mouth. Akin to having your throat raped by Satan's flaming penis. I understand trying this for a novelty, but other than that, avoid this at all costs. Your intestines will never forgive you otherwise.

4.25/5  rDev +61%