Ghost Scorpion Lager | Elevator Brewery & Draught Haus

Reviews by TheBeerologist:
1.18/5  rDev -53.4%

Tasting notes from 8/18/12

12oz bottle poured into a Jackie O's Munich glass

I bought this for my Dad, the one man I know who lets no heat bother him, but I had to give it a try while it was open.

Alright - this was a very difficult beer to review, partially due to its uniqueness and partly because I could drink VERY little of it. I rated this based on my pleasure drinking it - not its novelty

Poured a beautiful hazy orange/amber with a moderate head, though this was not the focus

Whoa! there is nothing but heat on the nose. This beer made my nostrils tingle.

Again, Whoa! This was not a beer that I can even handle. It was soooo hot. It burned my lips and tongue as soon as it touched them and that lingered for quite some time and slowly made its way to my belly. Damn thats hot! Not much else in there for me though

Overall - This was a great novelty and a terrible beer. It could not be finished and if it were solely up to me I would have poured 11 of the 12 ounces. I can't recommend this to anyone seriously, but if you know someone who can't get enough heat this may be right up their alley. This was the hottest thing I have ever consumed - food or drink.

1.02/5  rDev -59.7%

Poured into a snifter on 6/1/12

Much appreciation to MbpBugeye for burning the hell out of every palate at the tasting.

A) Murky gold with flakes. No head or lace.

S) Chili peppers. So hot. That's it.

T) Holy shit.

M) Pain. Scathing, enduring pain.

O) Fuck that.

If i could give less than 1 star, I would. Excessively hot. I like spicy things. But, I could barely get down a sip before a wave of heat completely coated my mouth. Akin to having your throat raped by Satan's flaming penis. I understand trying this for a novelty, but other than that, avoid this at all costs. Your intestines will never forgive you otherwise.

1.61/5  rDev -36.4%

Ghost Scorpion pours a darker straw color. It’s very hazy. Wasn’t expecting that. Backlighting gives it a slight copper or orange look. A white head covers it and stands over a finger in height. Nevertheless, it was very quick to dissipate. Lacing is hardly worth mentioning – very light and spotty. Eh. Not bad. Interesting color.

The nose is sort of interesting. It really doesn’t possess many qualities that are reminiscent of beer. The impact of the chiles is definitely noticeable. There’s no questioning its heat. One whiff is all it takes to know it’s on its way. There are some earthy and grainy notes. There’s really not a lot otherwise though. Definitely not a lot that resembles beer. Alcohol isn’t noticeable. It’s not good, but it’s interesting. After you smell it…you’ll get it.

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD! This beer is HOT! Wow! There simply cannot be another beer on the planet that rivals its heat. I’m stunned. There isn’t much else to discuss about the flavor. The strong spicy flavor and the heat mask anything else that could possibly come through. I can’t imagine who could possibly be into this beer. It’s way too hot to enjoy. I’m not fanatical about hot, spicy things, but I’m not averse to them. This one is bad. Just bad. Wow.

The body is light. It’s really tough to tell how the carbonation is. The heat is so intense that you simply can’t focus on anything else. Drinkable? Uhhh….no way! I’d love to see someone polish off an entire 12 oz. bottle of this. That would be a huge challenge!

Ghost Scorpion is brewed with supposedly the two hottest chiles in the world (Ghost and Scorpion). From where I’m sitting, I’ll buy that. It makes for awful beer, but it’s damn hot! I guess if that’s your thing, knock yourself out. I’d suggest steering clear of this one though. Seriously….heed those words!

4.91/5  rDev +94.1%

I gave this beer high marks for one reason: it did what it was supposed to. I have tried "spicy beer" and it was all terrible. Rogue Chipotle is good with a little spice, and Cave Creek Chili Beer is terrible with a lot of spice. Billy's Chilies was the best middle of the road example. This Ghost Scorpion is the true Leviathan of Chili Beer. Basic lager upon sipping with pepper feel that builds to an apocalypse of pain and suffering. 5/5 if you're tough enough and have milk and celery with bleu cheese ready. No one cares to examine this ale any further. Drink and cry or die, bitch.

1.75/5  rDev -30.8%

2.3/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1 | overall: 2.25

1.5/5  rDev -40.7%

1.27/5  rDev -49.8%

Shared at a recent tasting as a finale beer. But this isn't really a beer... You get no hop, malt, yeast qualities from this liquid it is just pure fire. Poured vigorously it yields no head. Smell is sweet-ish tons of cayenne not to hot from the smell. Taste isn't really a factor with this beer, if I could I'd give it a 0, this beer has no taste, just burn. The mouth feel is just burn. I only got 2 sips into it.

Really this beer should be a 0-1 since it has no beer quality sans a few bubbles and its golden amber color.

1.48/5  rDev -41.5%

Interesting appearance and smell, but very hot

2.5/5  rDev -1.2%

3.91/5  rDev +54.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Many thanks to inebriatedjoker for hooking me up with a couple of these long-anticipated beauties! Taking the first 12oz straight to my dome piece.

Pours just like any other of the more extreme chile beers - think Wildfire or Ghost Face. Murky red/copper with a tinge of green hue around the edge of the glass. A half finger of fizzing white head subsides to a thin collar before vanishing completely, leaving me with a scary looking glass of fire.

Extremely aromatic. I don't get any of that bland green veggie thing... there's an intense barbeque spice from the Bhut Jolokia and curry-like contribution from the Scorpion (at least I assume it is, I'm not that familiar with the Trinidad Scorpion). So far, this is living up to my every expectation.

That is one spicy beer. Clean on the front of the palate before it swells up to a massive crescendo of dry pepper heat. It's interesting how different these two strains are, being that they share a seat at the top of the scoville scale. The ghost chile offers that black pepper, smoky BBQ flavor while the Trinidad provides a Indian or Caribbean flavor... like a jerk rub or something. The flavors are much less muddy here than in any food I've had which incorporates the ghost chile.

Very intense beer and I look forward to the other bottle. If you are a true chile fanatic, this beer is an absolute must-try. It delivers precisely what it is I'm looking for. It's not even remotely as over-the-top as some have said... it's exactly what it claims to be.

2.85/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a perfect pint glass

A - As soon as I broke the seal beige foam gushed out of the bottle. I poured it into a glass to violent effervescence. The foam settled down to nothing within a minute. The vile liquid that remained was orange with sunset highlights. I could see yeast suspended in this concoction.

S - It smells like hot sauce.

T - At first nothing . . . then the back of my throat starts to get warm. As I take a couple sips, my tongue begins to feel the effects. It starts at the back of my tongue, and it creeps forward. Meanwhile the warmth at the back of my throat slides down my esophagus. My chest tightens and gets warm. Finally, the heat lands in my stomach. This is going to be bad.

M - Thin and watery.

O - What the hell was I thinking? I tried this at a bar last year. I thought I could drink a bottle. If I do it will take all day. It may just end up in the chili I am making. This is a bottle to share and punish your friends. It is not as hot as last year's version. It was made with pepper purée. This batch was just steeped with peppers, so I was told. I like spicy food, but I think I am done with this beer.

4.22/5  rDev +66.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

4.15/5  rDev +64%

I bought 2 bottles and opened one to drink. This is not a beer, this is an event. The hottest thing in the world. I agree with the numbing effect on the lips. Two sips in, I had to do a shot of milk to get to the third sip. Poured the rest down the drain and two days later made chili with the second bottle. 2 quarts of chili with one bottle of this beer and my coworkers thought I was Texas Red. This beer is a pretty good idea, but a better ingredient. Maybe even better as a party toughman contest...need another bottle.

3.25/5  rDev +28.5%