Matt's Burning Rosids | Stone Brewing

Alströms:

Ratings: 1,277 |  Reviews: 216
Reviews by cxr1037:
4.38/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Just picked this up from Trader Joe's. I was familiar with the tragic backstory and had been wanting to try this since I first heard about it. I love saisons and I'm just starting to try more smoked beers. Here we go!

APPEARANCE: Golden dark amber, capped with about 3mm of white head.

AROMA: The traditional saison aromas break through - pepper, earth, yeast, bread - then the cherrywood smoked malt really pops out. But it's not like someone dumped a rauchbier into a saison. It's a smokey, rubbery scent (kind of like new tires). I think the fine balance here has been struck. At the end of it all is some floral/citrus zest.

TASTE: The aroma follows through almost perfectly, though. The saison elements shine - pepper, earth, yeast, bread - and then, the cherrywood smoked malt pops through, bringing a subtle sweet smokiness. I also get reminiscent of a dish my girlfriend made once - liquid smoke, pecans, and sweet potatoes, drizzled in maple syrup.

MOUTHFEEL: Well carbonated, medium body that lightly coats the mouth. The alcohol in this one is fairly well hidden.

FINISH: Minimal alcohol presence near the back of the throat. Low-key, but lingering sweetness that lasts for a good 30 seconds.

OVERALL: If I wanted a saison, I would not reach for this beer. While it exhibits elements of traditional saisons, it's too strong and the cherrywood smoked malt adds a unique set of flavors. That being said, I think this is a fantastic beer, and great for cold (disclosure: I'm in San Diego and it's 61F right now at 10PM) nights. Where I would definitely recommend this beer is for a) people who want to get into smoked beers, and b) people who like rauchbiers.

I will gladly buy this again.

RIP Matt Courtright! I didn't know you, but I wish you were still around to make more beers like this.

90/100

4.07/5  rDev +8.2%

A cool story on the bottle,pours into a large tulip glass a clear medium golden with a amber tinge,man I love the color and the thick creamy shite head.After a few good swirls I pick up some overipe juicy citrus fruits along with some medicinal and spiced yeast notes.Yeasty and mildly phenolic with some clove spice standing out upfront on the palate,the some comes thru providing some meatiness and rich fruitiness,viney hops linger in the finish.This is a pretty complex and damn fine beer,RIP Matt.

Bottled 1/3/14.
In a snifter the beer was a perfectly clear gold color with just a tiny white head.

Aroma was smoky, fruity, and spicy. A little alcohol was noticeable.

Cherries in the taste. Smoke. A little peppery. A little funky. Still some alcohol.

Things combined well in this beer. Very pleasant.

A nice tribute.

3.76/5  rDev 0%

3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

3.93/5  rDev +4.5%

Bomber bottle, bottled 12-20-13.

Pours pretty clear, orangy amber, off white moderate cap, leaves a tiny bubble sheen, thin collar and fine scattered lacing.

On the nose I'm getting some citrus, lite smoke, and some alcohol burn.

Full flavor, robust, complex,brash n bold. Not for newbies or the faint hearted. More lime and pineapple all over the palate. I get most of the smoke in the finish, buts its pretty faint. Mostly its more and more heavy citric fruit, phenols and a sort of burnt band aids under note.

A lot going on and I like it

3.69/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: low carbonation, minimal head, clear, caramel in color

Smell: cedar, hay, and pepper

Taste: apple, lemon, tangerine, hay, light cedar and smoke towards the end

Mouthfeel: sweet and funky, light body, moderate carbonation

Overall: Very clean, complex, and fruity tasting. A nice sipper. I wish the cherry wood smoke was a bit more prominent, but this is still very tasty. I would get this again.

Matt's Burning Rosids from Stone Brewing