Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Matt's Burning Rosids | Stone Brewing

firstprev| 1226-1250 | 1251-1275 | 1276-1300  | next → last
Ratings: 1,278 |  Reviews: 216
4.25/5  rDev +13%

4.08/5  rDev +8.5%

A: Light copper, nice off white head retained throughout most of drinking with lacing afterwards.

S: My old man walked in the room and asked if someone was cooking smoked sausage. I don't think it's that extreme, but you definitely pick up on the smoked wood. Floral notes and clove as well.

T: Grassy floral and slight lemon notes lead into clove and spice. Slightest banana with a smokey cherrywood finish. Don't taste much booze for the high ABV. When it warms up, alcohol becomes more prevalent--adds a nice warming finish.

M: One of the fuller bodied saisons I've tasted, but I'd still say it's medium. The more I drink it, the more dry I think it is.

Overall: Interesting take on the style--I've never had a smoked saison (or an imperial), and I'd say it plays in nicely with the typical belgian/yeasty flavors I expect. A tad dry for my taste, and the high alcohol kind of takes away from what this beer could fully be (IMO). Definitely worth trying and good value. Overall good job by Stone, and I'll definitely drink this one again if I come across it. RIP Matt.

4.25/5  rDev +13%