Matt's Burning Rosids | Stone Brewing

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by DerrickW on 01-03-2014

Ratings: 1,276 |  Reviews: 216
3.93/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a 20 oz. bottle to a pint glass. Pours an amber gold with good light penetration. Clearly filtered. Minimal head and lacing, but decent carbonation. I get citra notes and yes - roses. I found the taste amazing. It is a great balance of the sweetness of a saison, but this strong charred flavor, almost like a Rauch. I can't say I can tell you what wood was used (despite what is claimed on the label), but this is definitely a unique flavor. With that said, I could see how it would not be for everyone, but personally I loved it. A true one of a kind for a good cause, from an even better brewery! Definitely glad I snagged a case!

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

3.82/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Cheers to Matt!

Pours a clear golden amber color, with less than a finger of head, little retention and no lacing.

Smell is nice- lovely yeast scent and a little bit of smoked wood. Nothing crazy but very nice.

Taste is a little more complex- there's certainly a grain sweetness, along with a yeasty funk and a little of the smoky wood taste. Finishes slightly sweet with a lingering woody taste.

Mouthfeel is nice- medium body, modest carbonation probably because of the high abv. This is a very nice beer- I think it's a great memorial to their friend and colleague. It's interesting but nothing unbelievable. I like it.

Update: this is unlike any other beer I've had from stone. It's by no means perfect, but I would encourage them to do more beer like this and branch out from the big bold IPAs and stouts. I think they have some talented brewers there and the results of such experiments might surprise us all.

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

3.73/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

What a great way to honor a brewer, Stone. To Matt!

Bottled in December 2013, about two months before the date of this tasting.

A: Pours a beautifully clear copper-gold, a body that’s inundated with fizzy carbonation. A thin white head rises and falls fast, leaving miniscule retention and a strand or two of lacing. Appears lighter than I expected for a beer over 10% ABV.

S: For a beer marked “imperial,” this certainly has a light, delicate nose. The majority of the aromas give this an air of something more traditional than experimental: white bread dough, flint (i.e., mineral water), and light, peppery hops are all wrapped up in overarching scent of clove-banana yeast. There’s a touch of smoked meat to it, though, that adds a nice touch toward the end.

T: Wow, forget the quiet nose – this beer packs a punch. Each sip starts by welling up with a filling banana and vanilla tone, not unlike shortcake. It’s a sweetness that’s strong enough to linger for the remainder of the brew, though it doesn’t ever get cloying. In quick response, though, there’s a crackle of unique dryness, quickly tightening the palate with oily yet surprisingly fruit-forward hops (think massive orange rind, so big it almost tastes syrupy), juniper, and mildly astringent straw. The hops, like the sweetness in front, just don’t stop: they keep going and going until they hit the aftertaste, then they simply fade out of existence. Because of the hops’ uncompromising intensity, the smoked flavor is somewhat lost behind them; but still, there’s a noticeable amount of wood and meat to the palate, especially in the aftertaste. Finishes with a cracker-like crispness that’s partnered with a flowery flavor due to the aforementioned potpourri of hop oils.

M: Thick, oily beer that provides drinkability at first, mainly because of the astringent hops. But as the bottle keeps emptying, the oils begin to add up; in the end, I’m sitting here with almost a third of the beer left and no desire to drink it anymore. Unfortunately, it’s too much.

O: Sometimes less is more – get a half-pint and you’ll be in heaven. 12 oz. is even pushing it for a beer this monstrous. Nothing about these ingredients screams “imperial,” but I can respect Stone attempting to make a big beer for someone who appears to have had a big personality. Much love to these guys, and to any of Matt’s other friends and family – cheers.

2.5/5  rDev -34.4%

2.68/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Golden orange body with a white head.

Wood on the nose is not hidden, still nothing I can pick out as cherry.

I wouldn't call this a saison if I tasted it blind. Not earthy, not floral nor spicy. Fairly hot but the cherry does start to surface. The finish is a little astringent, pretty medicinal. Though the style's misplaced, it's not in anyway muted.

Carbonation seems right.

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

This beer was amazing, and more than worth the $7 or so paid for it. 22oz bottle poured in a Belgian tulip glass in two parts. Nice, full, white head on a perfectly orange-tinted golden brew with reasonable carbonation at the 55 degrees or so at which it is supposed to be served. Strong nose typical of, even epitomizing, Belgian Saisons. Enticing. Rich notes of cherry and lemongrass balanced with hops to make a strong, flavorful brew. Clearly 10+ percent, although no alcohol burn distracts from the taste. Nice story behind the brew, too. Overall, an incredible paragon of saisons for the lover of saisons. I know I sound like a Stone representative right now, but I just really love this beer. It will undoubtedly be a repeat buy.

2.25/5  rDev -40.9%

3.03/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

I openly admit, I didn't get this beer. I think it has two parts to it that don't work for me. They might (and given rating, do) work for others, but the point is, in my opinion, this isn't a straightforward beer, so I think it will hit and miss with people.

A: the appearance is a very clear gold-colored beer, with nicely sustaining head
S: floral - with a bit of meadow-like background, citrus - kinda sour (lemony). I do get the smoke notes as well, but the almost seem to interfere than enhance the smell. Regardless, in my opinion, it's a complex nose, but maybe not all to the good.
T/M: The beginning taste start towards a lighter beer, with a bit more dry bitterness than a normal "light" beer. The sour notes from the smell come it subtly from there. There is a funkiness that I have noticed in the few sours I have had, but it is fleeting.

The smokiness comes in to take over, and this is where, in my opinion, the beer falls apart. If it had continued on the path towards sour, I think I would've enjoyed it more. The smokey flavor is actually decent, but paired with the opening flavors of this beer, it's akin to orange and toothpaste, to me (but not THAT bad).

O: to me, a bad match of two independently decent flavor profiles.

Matt's Burning Rosids from Stone Brewing