Stone Go To IPA | Stone Brewing

stonebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

A vibrant hop-bursted session IPA
First Release: March 2014

Since Day One, we've been abundantly forthright and fully transparent about our lust for hops. It's led us to craft many an IPA, most of them imperial—some intense for their time and all timeless in their intensity. For Stone Go To IPA, we embrace our hop obsession in a new way, funneling an abundance of lupulin-borne bitterness into a "session" IPA that delivers all the fruity, piney character of a much bigger IPA. To accomplish this, we employ "hop bursting," a new technique wherein an irrational amount of hops is added during the final phase of the brewing process to coax out extreme flavors and aromas while also imparting a burst of desirably pleasant bitterness. The result is an alpha-acid-rich beer that fans can enjoy more of without missing out on the assertive hop character you, like us, crave. So, sit back and go two with your new everyday go-to IPA and bask along with us in the glory of the almighty hop.

Added by dwagner003 on 02-03-2014

Ratings: 3,472 |  Reviews: 465

1.25/5  rDev -68.4%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

1.42/5  rDev -64.1%

Initially I thought this beer was Fantastik, but it turned out to be Formula 409.

1.8/5  rDev -54.4%

1.81/5  rDev -54.2%

Just another beer to add to the list

1.85/5  rDev -53.2%

Bought a single bottle from AJs Beer Warehouse, July 2015. Served at fridge temp in a Duvel Tulip.

L: Hazy apricot, thin white head, barely any lacing.

S: Simcoe Hops- cat pee
T: strong herbal bitterness, Vick's Vapo-rub
F: solid
O: Can't stand this beer

1.85/5  rDev -53.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

I've been on a sessionable IPA kick lately, and greatly enjoy Daytime IPA from Lagunitas, a beer that is low in ABV, hoppy, balanced, and very drinkable. I was looking forward to trying Stone's entry into the sessionable IPA arena. What a disappointment! This beer (or at least the batch I got) suffers from a serious case of isovaleric acid off flavor. Isovaleric acid compounds are usually due to using stale or poorly stored hops, and result in off flavors best described as "cheesy". Sadly this is the dominant flavor and aroma on offer here - nasty, stale cheese. Not pleasant in the least, and definitely not what I expected. Drain pour I'm afraid.

1.98/5  rDev -49.9%

A: Clear straw golden nice carbonation and head. pretty.

S: Citrusy and a bit tropical

T: WOW straight garlic onions. I thought i put 10 raw onions in my mouth. Just nasty. I've never understood people saying they taste onion in beer now I do. Just disgusting.

M: Light bodied as expected.

O: A uniquely horrible experience.

2.06/5  rDev -47.8%

Had a very citrus taste to the hops. Grapefruit? Not my style

2.31/5  rDev -41.5%

Poured from 12oz bottle to odell tulip
pours deep gold, thin white head retrrats to 1/8 in persistant tight white head.
Nose has a touch of citrus, and a ton of onion.
flavor follows. No malt to speak of, big onion presence.

2.4/5  rDev -39.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Attention beer companies: I am not going to consume your product if you don't have clear dates as to when they should be enjoyed by.

This is relevant because of another bottle date mishap today. I exchanged for this after returning my Lagunitas Hop Stoopid bomber which had a metallic taste to it. I had to call Lagunitas itself. Oh, so the bottle is dark, and there is dark etching somewhere at the neck, and the numbers mean what? "Can I put you on hold? Uh, no." The grocery store wasn't much help, either. No, Miss Cashier, the bottling expiration date was April 5th, and today is June 16th, so it isn't still good, despite the original concept behind the IPA.

So, I exchanged the Lagunitas for this. This is not Stone's best offering. It is very unbalanced, because they hop burst to keep the piney grapefruit notes, but there is very little backbone to balance it out by keeping the ABV down. The result is an unbalanced bottle of bitter grapefruit juice. I actually would not have hop bursted at the end with this, since it really throws things off.

While I applaud the concept of trying to make low ABV to accompany the big flavor you find in higher Stone ABV brews, it simply isn't well executed in the Go To IPA.

It's actually also pretty bad for the Stone IPA that this is actually a better beer, for all it's balance issues. My experience with Stone Brewery has been quite enigmatic. They either screw the prom queen, or screw the pooch, and there really isn't much in between.

2.48/5  rDev -37.2%