Stone Go To IPA | Stone Brewing

stonebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

A vibrant hop-bursted session IPA
First Release: March 2014

Since Day One, we've been abundantly forthright and fully transparent about our lust for hops. It's led us to craft many an IPA, most of them imperial—some intense for their time and all timeless in their intensity. For Stone Go To IPA, we embrace our hop obsession in a new way, funneling an abundance of lupulin-borne bitterness into a "session" IPA that delivers all the fruity, piney character of a much bigger IPA. To accomplish this, we employ "hop bursting," a new technique wherein an irrational amount of hops is added during the final phase of the brewing process to coax out extreme flavors and aromas while also imparting a burst of desirably pleasant bitterness. The result is an alpha-acid-rich beer that fans can enjoy more of without missing out on the assertive hop character you, like us, crave. So, sit back and go two with your new everyday go-to IPA and bask along with us in the glory of the almighty hop.

Added by StoutSnob40 on 02-03-2014

Ratings: 3,525 |  Reviews: 481

1.25/5  rDev -68.4%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

1.42/5  rDev -64.1%

Initially I thought this beer was Fantastik, but it turned out to be Formula 409.

1.8/5  rDev -54.4%

1.81/5  rDev -54.2%

Just another beer to add to the list

1.85/5  rDev -53.2%

Bought a single bottle from AJs Beer Warehouse, July 2015. Served at fridge temp in a Duvel Tulip.

L: Hazy apricot, thin white head, barely any lacing.

S: Simcoe Hops- cat pee
T: strong herbal bitterness, Vick's Vapo-rub
F: solid
O: Can't stand this beer

1.85/5  rDev -53.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

I've been on a sessionable IPA kick lately, and greatly enjoy Daytime IPA from Lagunitas, a beer that is low in ABV, hoppy, balanced, and very drinkable. I was looking forward to trying Stone's entry into the sessionable IPA arena. What a disappointment! This beer (or at least the batch I got) suffers from a serious case of isovaleric acid off flavor. Isovaleric acid compounds are usually due to using stale or poorly stored hops, and result in off flavors best described as "cheesy". Sadly this is the dominant flavor and aroma on offer here - nasty, stale cheese. Not pleasant in the least, and definitely not what I expected. Drain pour I'm afraid.

1.98/5  rDev -49.9%

A: Clear straw golden nice carbonation and head. pretty.

S: Citrusy and a bit tropical

T: WOW straight garlic onions. I thought i put 10 raw onions in my mouth. Just nasty. I've never understood people saying they taste onion in beer now I do. Just disgusting.

M: Light bodied as expected.

O: A uniquely horrible experience.

2.06/5  rDev -47.8%

Had a very citrus taste to the hops. Grapefruit? Not my style

2.16/5  rDev -45.3%
look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

The only redeeming quality about this beer was how it looked in the glass. Tasted like wet celery and green peppers. A light lemon in the finish saved it from being a drain pour. Enjoy by date of 12/28/17. And that's when I sampled it. But I don't think it could go bad in three months. Canned date of 9/21.

2.27/5  rDev -42.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

2.31/5  rDev -41.5%

Poured from 12oz bottle to odell tulip
pours deep gold, thin white head retrrats to 1/8 in persistant tight white head.
Nose has a touch of citrus, and a ton of onion.
flavor follows. No malt to speak of, big onion presence.

Stone Go To IPA from Stone Brewing