Stone Go To IPA | Stone Brewing

stonebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

A vibrant hop-bursted session IPA
First Release: March 2014

Since Day One, we've been abundantly forthright and fully transparent about our lust for hops. It's led us to craft many an IPA, most of them imperial—some intense for their time and all timeless in their intensity. For Stone Go To IPA, we embrace our hop obsession in a new way, funneling an abundance of lupulin-borne bitterness into a "session" IPA that delivers all the fruity, piney character of a much bigger IPA. To accomplish this, we employ "hop bursting," a new technique wherein an irrational amount of hops is added during the final phase of the brewing process to coax out extreme flavors and aromas while also imparting a burst of desirably pleasant bitterness. The result is an alpha-acid-rich beer that fans can enjoy more of without missing out on the assertive hop character you, like us, crave. So, sit back and go two with your new everyday go-to IPA and bask along with us in the glory of the almighty hop.

Added by dwagner003 on 02-03-2014

Ratings: 3,483 |  Reviews: 469

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

3.25/5  rDev -17.7%

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

2.56/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Serving: Poured into a tulip from the bottle because I wasn't wasting my chalice on this beer.

Appearance: Best attribute of this beer, orange-gold-yellowish hues, half inch head with great retention (I hate a lot of foam) with nice resilient lacing.

Smell: Hoppy, piney, citral, and floral. How some of these people can detect all sorts of malts is beyond me.

Taste: Just like it smells, hoppy, bitter, piney, citral, and floral. It tastes like a bitter grapefruit juice. I don't detect any malts in my mouth either.

Mouthfeel: Mild carbonation, drinks easy like a light beer, but has strong flavors.

Overall: Whereas I like Stone and have come to find their signature taste pleasing I do not like this beer and wouldn't purchase it again. I think some people develop loyal followings and rate high because of that. I can't see how this beer deserves such high marks. It's way more citral, floral, bitter, and hoppy than a beer with this low ABV should be. Think Ruination but with an off-putting pledge after taste.

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%