Go To IPA | Stone Brewing

stonebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

A vibrant hop-bursted session IPA
First Release: March 2014

Since Day One, we've been abundantly forthright and fully transparent about our lust for hops. It's led us to craft many an IPA, most of them imperial—some intense for their time and all timeless in their intensity. For Stone Go To IPA, we embrace our hop obsession in a new way, funneling an abundance of lupulin-borne bitterness into a "session" IPA that delivers all the fruity, piney character of a much bigger IPA. To accomplish this, we employ "hop bursting," a new technique wherein an irrational amount of hops is added during the final phase of the brewing process to coax out extreme flavors and aromas while also imparting a burst of desirably pleasant bitterness. The result is an alpha-acid-rich beer that fans can enjoy more of without missing out on the assertive hop character you, like us, crave. So, sit back and go two with your new everyday go-to IPA and bask along with us in the glory of the almighty hop.

Added by StoutSnob40 on 02-03-2014

Ratings: 3,556 |  Reviews: 489

2.75/5  rDev -30.4%

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

3.47/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

When I heard Stone was releasing a light IPA, my reaction was "What's wrong with Levitation Ale?" Perhaps my knee jerked too quickly, for I have a bottle of Go To that's going under my judgement. From a 12 ounce bottle, on to the beer:

That's a small head sitting on top a muddy looking goldenrod liquid. Even with a few spots of lacing, it's not much of a looker. However, the aroma hits it home with a magnificent bouquet of cantaloupe, kiwi, passionfruit, and a light maltiness backbone.

Hops indeed are tasted. And more hops. I like hops. I also like a malt base for those hops to springboard off of. It's more one-sided than I prefer, and the delicate fruits than I smelled are replaced with bitter citrus notes in the taste and a long lingering bitterness. Each sip it seems to lose a little more appeal; it gets more bitter and soapy tasting. In fact, it starts to taste like Stone IPA (which I like a lot) with the malt removed (like getting the rug pulled under you).

It's funny how quality beer after quality beer raises your standard of a certain brewery. Stone has a number of beer which I love, so having an otherwise decent beer comes out as a disappointment. I love Easy Jack, but not Go To.

3.25/5  rDev -17.7%