Go To IPA | Stone Brewing

stonebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

A vibrant hop-bursted session IPA
First Release: March 2014

Since Day One, we've been abundantly forthright and fully transparent about our lust for hops. It's led us to craft many an IPA, most of them imperial—some intense for their time and all timeless in their intensity. For Stone Go To IPA, we embrace our hop obsession in a new way, funneling an abundance of lupulin-borne bitterness into a "session" IPA that delivers all the fruity, piney character of a much bigger IPA. To accomplish this, we employ "hop bursting," a new technique wherein an irrational amount of hops is added during the final phase of the brewing process to coax out extreme flavors and aromas while also imparting a burst of desirably pleasant bitterness. The result is an alpha-acid-rich beer that fans can enjoy more of without missing out on the assertive hop character you, like us, crave. So, sit back and go two with your new everyday go-to IPA and bask along with us in the glory of the almighty hop.

Added by StoutSnob40 on 02-03-2014

Ratings: 3,573 |  Reviews: 491

2.75/5  rDev -30.4%

4.89/5  rDev +23.8%

Picked up a 6 pack from Chuck's hop shop downtown Seattle. Bottled less than 2 weeks ago.

A: Fantastic, like enjoy by, very clear very light, poured into a Dogfish Heaed IPA glass, decent carbonation. 1 finger thick creamy white head. Looks beautiful.

S: WOW, FRESH HOPS, similar to enjoy by, fruity, citrusy, grapefruit. Smells great, just a very fresh clean grapefruit hoppy nose.

T: This is a fantastic IPA, and ONLY 4.5% my god the only thing that is holding me back from consuming a 6 pack of this daily this summer is the price....$13 for a sixer..?? The taste is fantastic, there's a breadiness off the bat followed by hops/grapefruit/orange, taste similar to enjoy by.

M: Perfect, just the right amount of carbonation. Not to heavy and not too light. I am a golfer and usually I will bring out a sixer of torpedo or even Stone's IPA, and after 2-3 they just get so bitter and as they warm up its just almost uncomfortable to drink. But these babies are so smooth and light yet so flavorful it's amazing. I am definitely getting that onion/garlic breadiness that enjoy by has. This is a great beer Stone I am wowed.

10/10, best session IPA out there. Bring it on Easy Jack.

3.84/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

What came first, the chicken or the egg? While I enjoyed this beer, I can't say that I loved it. Stone Brewing Co. is a pioneer in the craft beer industry, but this effort, while good, fell short of expectations. As I stated in another session IPA review, I don't put a lot of stock in appearances. Golden yellow; opaque; patches of lace. The nose is interesting to say the least. There are faint hints of grapefruit, lemon and clementine, as well as mint leaf and movie theater popcorn butter. Don't get me wrong, it tastes really good, but eerily similar to another session IPA that was released earlier. In fact, if I were doing a blind taste test, the only way I could tell the two apart would be in the mouthfeel. This one goes down smooth and not quite as prickly as the aforementioned comparison offering. I would be interested to read what others are thinking, but this is almost an exact replica of Founders All Day IPA. Not entirely disappointing, this attempt is like Demi Moore pre-Indecent Proposal. As for me, I prefer something a bit more ro"bust".

Worth a try.

3.63/5  rDev -8.1%

Pours gold with stunning clarity, quickly builds a one finger, stark white head. Lacing left on the glass is attractive and this one has good head retention.

Bright and floral, immediate tropical notes of lychee, grapefruit pith and dried mango. As the beer is allowed to warm more orange citrus and light pine come out. Very lacking in malt aroma or sweetness, soda crackers and maybe some fine cereal grain.

Odd, no malt character, it's dry like cardboard and adds grain husk flavors in the finish. Hop flavors are dominant but also not powerful, leading in floral and grassy. Hay, grapefruit pith and dried tropical fruit. Very mild bitterness.

Good carbonation and a medium-light body lead to one very drinkable beer. Dries well enough and alcohol is a non-factor.

So what we have here is essentially a light lager beer base and floral/tropical hops. Tastes decent, drinkable but also completely unbalanced. Without the malt presence it seems Stone was unable to go to their typical hard hitting flavor and bittering hop varieties leaving this one feeling out of place in their extensive lineup. With the session IPA trend just building up I think there will be plenty of opportunities to not, go back to this beer in the future.

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%