Stone Imperial Russian Stout | Stone Brewing

Availability: Spring

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-21-2001

Ratings: 8,375 |  Reviews: 2,759

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2012 vintage, about a year old right now

A - looks great. Inky black with a thick, dense, coffee colored head, pours about 2 inches. Looks just like a stout should.

S - vanilla and coffee, chocolate, maltiness, smells tasty.

T - I've had this fresh and now a year old, so some comparison is necessary here. The year old seems to be at an awkward stage. The chocolate and molasses flavors that I remember from the fresh have mellowed and blended very nicely. However, the hop edge has NOT. There is still a big kick of hops at the end that is now out of balance. Fresh, everything is big and, even if a bit messy, is balanced, I've got a few others to see how they do in a couple more years.

M - good. Maybe a bit high carbed, but far from bad.

O - everyone says that this one does well with age. At 1 year, I don't agree. The hops are still very prominent, while the other flavors have mellowed, leading to a big imbalance. I'll check again at 2 and 3 years, but right now I'm inclined to drink this one fresh.

(Ratings are a combo of fresh and aged impressions)

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

3.3/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Like the Abyss, I wasn't feeling this one. I'm quite partial to all Stone Beers (IPA, CaliBelgi, etc.) and this one didn't do it for me. I'm still not sold on Imperial Stouts. Yes, I am an arse and I tend to like DIPAs, Belgis and Koslch. Then again, it's all subjective, right? :-)

2.75/5  rDev -36.6%

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

4.67/5  rDev +7.6%

A: Dark motor oil, just what you would expect out of a classic Russian Imperial Stout
S: The nose had strong aroma of chocolate that was delightful
T: The taste is what shocked me most, incredibly smooth, there was not hint of booze in the taste, only the exceptional presence of chocolate and roasted malts that left you with a warming feeling.
M: Mouthfeel is superb and thick. It gives it the lingering sensation of being coated with chocolate milk.
O: Overall I am supremely ecstatic that I came across this excellent aged beer. Truly a masterpiece.
The 2007 was delicious as well, just had a bit more booze presence and carbonation was actually within the Russian Imperial as well. Another success from Stone.

Stone Imperial Russian Stout from Stone Brewing