Stone Imperial Russian Stout | Stone Brewing

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

3.5/5  rDev -19.5%

3.5/5  rDev -19.5%

4.83/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

This is my celebration beer for receiving residency status here in Bolivia. One of the 5 beers I brought with me in my luggage. This is the 2012 iteration of Stone's IRS.

The head on this beer commands attention. Billowy, creamy head, at least half an inch. It climbs up the glass, as if yearning to be drank, savored, enjoyed.

I have to say the smell is slightly off the norm for my opinion of RIS's. I'm not saying that it's not good. But, it's definitely hop forward in the nose. This is no surprise coming from Stone. That being said, you can detect the firm malt base. Roasty, burnt nuts...which compliments the intensely hopped nature of the beer.

First sip verifies what the nose suggests. Hops wash across the palate, followed by deeply, well roasted malts. A kick of bakers chocolate, strongly bitter....also complimenting the hop additions. There is something deeper, more complex in this beer. I believe it is the yeast strain, manifesting itself together with the alcohol presence. The alcohol is not overpowering, as many RIS's are more than 10.5% these days. The lingering finish is...bitter, as expected. But a welcoming bitterness, craving another sip. I think I will. Ahh yes, as room temperature finds this brew, it exhibits a finely tuned coffee flavor. And it doesn't just suggest coffee, but makes it's presence known with spikes of espresso/whole bean chewiness. Very nice indeed.

The mouthfeel is hansomely creamy. Not overly heavy nor weak and thin. A perfect balance.

Overall, a very worthy beer for a celebration. The question is, am I worthy enough to fully appreciate how well crafted this beer is? Stone, thank you. Thank you for providing me with 2 of the 5 beers that I brought with me to live in the southern continent! Thankfully I have 5 more waiting for me when I return, patiently waiting to be savored over the next few years. I'm anxious to see how the hops hold up with age, and to see how the darker flavors come to the fore. As close to perfect as can be at the age of just under one year. Well done!

Stone Imperial Russian Stout from Stone Brewing