Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Stone Imperial Russian Stout | Stone Brewing

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-21-2001

#393

Ratings: 8,389 |  Reviews: 2,762

22oz. Bomber, 2012 Edition

A- Pours a dark black opaque black, average to slightly above average carbonation for a RIS, can see tiny fast rising carbonation bubbles rising to the top of the glass, thin layer of light mocha brown head.

S- Dark chocolate, mocha, milk chocolate, a little bit of licorice, malts, can smell a little bit of the alcohol, fairly sweet but not overly aromatic.

T- A nice light sweet creamy dark chocolate, a little bit of licorice, mocha, malty background with a slight bitterness, sweet creamy slightly bitter aftertaste.

M- Creamy, medium bodied to a little bit on the heavier side, a tiny bit lighter then I was expecting, well balanced, average carbonation, goes down smoothly. ABV very well hidden, very slight burn to let you know it's there but nothing overly noticeable. Exactly how I like a RIS- not too syrupy and not too much alcoholic burn, goes down very easy

O- This was a great Russian Imperial Stout from Stone. Most of the Stone beers I've had have been great, but nothing remarkable. This beer definitely fits that mold. This is one of the better RIS I've had, but definitely not the best one. I liked the nice creamy chocolate taste that hid the abv very well. It could have been a little bit sweeter to cancel out some of the bitterness, but overall it was a quality beer. For $8.95 per bomber you can't go wrong. I definitely recommend picking up a few.

4.87/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip glass.

This is the first time I've tasted this beer after a couple of years of hype ... hoping it lives up to it.

A - It is pitch black. Poured with a nice roughly inch thick dark tan creamy head.

S - Very complex with lots of coffee and roasty notes. Smells just like I'd think an imperial russian stout should.

T - Thick and delicious malt, coffee, dark chocolate flavors. It was a little bit cold coming out of the fridge at first, but as the temperature of the beer started to warm up, a lot of subtle qualities started popping out.

M - Thick, creamy goodness. It seems to coat my tongue and the inside of my mouth with every sip.

O - This is an amazing beer. Hype fully justified. Now ... if only it were available year round and wasn't $8.99/22oz bottle.

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

4.2/5  rDev -3%

A-Deep black one finger head brown/tan head

S-Coffee, chocolate, roasted malt, licorice.

T-Starts with lots of coffee, some chocolate and then some roasted/burnt malt.

M-Medium to heavy, creamy with good carbonation.

O-A lot of coffee for a RIS, seemed more like an American Imp Stout. Still a good beer. If age could calm down the coffee the beer has room for a lot of improvement.

4.05/5  rDev -6.5%

2012 Vintage serve in a Cigar City snifter. Sorry.... no Stone one available.

A: Poured black as night, with about a 1/2 finger bronze colored head that looked like metal shavings.

S: Lots of char that was very porter-like indeed. Also, I got sort of a breakfast cereal quality that reminded me of "Cocoa Puffs." Also, a tinge of Teriyaki sauce.

T: Deep, dark, strong, soy sauce-like flavor, with about of ton of molasses to boot. Strong cocoa notes and a bit of dark fruit on the finish. However, this sucker needs to seriously settle down for awhile.

M: Thick and snot-like, with a ridiculous amount of lacing and bitterness. Rough and boozy, but my experience with this beer is that that will work itself out in a couple years or so.

O: It's been a long time since I tried this one and all the memories came flooding back after my first sip. This one along with Old Rasputin were the ones that turned me onto the style in the first place.

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

its taken me 3 years vintage to fully appreciate the character, depth, and complexity of this beer. amazing this much flavor, no barrel aging.

beautiful darkest brown to black beer with a great looking chocolate cap. big aroma of chocolate, roasted malts, even some hops. tastes opens with big chocolate, superb roast, vinous notes of white wine, grapes, dark fruits. thick and so very rich, even a little vanilla and molasses presence. perfectly balanced, lots of puckering hoppy bitterness leading to that perfect dry finish. aftertaste lingers forever, leaving your palate to wonder what the hell just crushed it.

a true icon, and one of this years best.

2012 Release poured into tulip glass

A: This Stone offering pours like a typical Russian imperial stout. Black, rather thick and not much carbonation to speak of. It produced a real nice one and a half size chocolate milk colored head that dissipates quickly and leaves some nice lacing behind.

S: First off roasted chocolate with some smoke or charred scents followed by Roasted malts and some caramel sweetness and coffee. I also do pick up on the alcohol on this one.

T: I don't know what I was expecting but wow is this one complex in the taste. I get tons of chocolate, coffee, caramel and a toasted/roasted malt. This is a sweet, decadent chocolate covered espresso bean tasting stout. On the tail end the hop bite takes hold to balance out the sweetness just right. Well balanced between sweet and the bitterness from the hops.

M: I thought after pouring this bad boy it was going to be on the thin side but I'd say it is instead moderate. Not chewy but this does coat my mouth with a slickness that is rather enjoyable. The taste sticks around for a long, long time and is still evident as I reach for the next sip. Not much carbonation but rather just enough as the balance creates a wonderful silky mouthfeel.

O: I heard mostly good things about this offering but also some mediocre thoughts as well. I agree with the good things on this one. It was a pleasant surprise and I am really enjoying this. I love bourbon barell aged stouts but this too has its place. So glad I was able to pick up a few of these as I am eager to see how this matures. Good thing I have other beers in my cellar to grab because I would be tempted to drink all of these before the maturation process even started! This is a great Stone beer!

4.03/5  rDev -6.9%

bomber served in a st bernardus chalice.

pours very dark brown, almost black; medium head, some lacing.

strong roasted malt, chocolate, and booze come to mind right of the bat in the nose; secondary notes of coffee and molasses with a touch of vanilla.

taste follows the smell closely. complex and well balanced with a mouthfeel approaching full-bodied; average carbonation. wouldn't stray beyond the one bomber.

overall, very good but IMHO not world class. maybe my expectations were too high going in; i was expecting to LOVE it... def not on the level of a kbs or even bourbon county, in my opinion. guess i'm a sucker for the bourbon. :)

originally reviewed on: 06-13-2010

4.55/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bomber, 2012 version, poured into a snifter.

A- Pours pitch black, produces a finger of thick brown head that recedes to a ring, leaves spotty lacing.

S- Really awesome chocolate aroma, smells sweet and decadent, balanced really well by big roasty aroma of coffee and charred grain, some booze and caramel sweetness.

T- Big roasty flavors up front, lots of coffee and burnt malt, smoke, has a big delicious chocolatey center with some vanilla and boozy sweetness, the balance here is incredible, this is a really well-built beer.

M- Full-bodied, has a smooth, velvety but also thick feel. The drinkability is insane, seriously one of the most quaffable 10.5% ABV beers I've had.

O- One of the best stouts on the market, a real classic at this point. Not overly sweet, roasted flavors are outstanding, I forgot how much I had missed this beer since last year.

Stone Imperial Russian Stout from Stone Brewing