Stone Imperial Russian Stout | Stone Brewing

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-21-2001

Ratings: 8,375 |  Reviews: 2,759

3.57/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Very dark brown, can see a tiny bit through the edges, chocolate colored one finger head that fades quickly, can't get much head out of this one, no lacing.

S - Dark roasted malts, some chocolate and liqorice and quite a bit of tobacco that I don't enjoy but that many may love.

T - Lots of very dark roasted malt, chocolate/coffee and liqorice, all very nice flavor... but then I get some of that tobacco again and just don't enjoy it.

M - Great mouthfeel, full bodied and completely coats the mouth low to medium carbonation.

O - I will try this beer again but for me I just don't like the tobacco flavor, it doesn't ruin it for me but doesn't allow me to enjoy it as much.

4.57/5  rDev +5.3%

2007 Vintage on tap last night at City Beer SF

I'll note, I'm not at all a fan of this beer fresh, however 5 years has turned this beer into something truly beautiful.

The nose is straight port wine and dark fruits with a tiny hint of vanilla. Although there is no bourbon component to this beer, you'd swear in the nose that there is a mild bourbon barrel hint going on in there as well. The smell was absolutely sublime. I've never come across a better nose on a standard RIS.

The taste was much of the same minus the bourbon. Just shy of what the nose gave off. Not too heavy and not at all light. The mouthfeel was nice, however I prefer my stouts creamier, similair to The Abyss after a year of age or Velvetier, similair to a Parabola. That's just getting knit-picky though.

I feel very fortunate to have randomly stumbled across this vintage. Get it if you can!

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

We were at a tasting at the Molen, organized by Fiona de Lange (the Dutch Beer lady). I forgot who shared this beer with us, sorry for that.

A - A pitch black beer.

S - A strong chocolate smell from burned malts.

T - Chocolade & chocolate

M - A soft carbonation is pleasing my tongue.

O - Very nice and delicious.

3.5/5  rDev -19.4%

3.5/5  rDev -19.4%

4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

A - Poured from a 2011 bottled bomber into my Stone RIS glass. The beer poured near pitch black with a very nice, creamy, mocha colored head that was a full finger high. The head receded very quickly, with little lacing.

S - The smell is not overly strong. Lots of roasty aromas, malty, coffee, and maybe a little chocolate.

T - Strong roasty flavors at the start of the sip, the coffee flavors are very prevalent and results in a very nice dry bitterness. As the sip finishes, the taste is on the spicy side, both from the hops and from the alcohol content. Speaking of the 10.5% abv, while it is noticeable, it is not too much, as there really is not any heat from it. There is also a very good aftertaste that lingers in the back of the mouth for quite some time. I really love this taste of this stout.

M - The mouthfeel of this brew is awesome. Not too thick, definately not thin. Just the right amount of carbonation.

O - This is a great RIS. I really wish this was available year round. I also wish I picked up a few bottles to age (that is, if I could keep my hands off of it).

Stone Imperial Russian Stout from Stone Brewing