Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Stone Imperial Russian Stout | Stone Brewing

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-21-2001

#392

Ratings: 8,389 |  Reviews: 2,762
4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours black with brown and red on the edges and the pour. A large deep mocha head forms and leaves some nice lacing.

Smell is bitter chocolate, coffee, roasted malt and booze. About what it should be, with plenty of strength.

Taste is of a classic RIS. Chocolate, coffee, dark roasted malt, very close to the aroma. Only difference is a hop tang.

Texture is nice and thick. Only the ample carbonation makes this feel thinner.

While this is pretty spot on for a RIS, it's not outstanding. And though I find it far better than the anise version, I have had better RIS's recently. The thing that makes this so good is the relatively cheep price. For that, I almost gave it a 5 overall. A great beer, and even better price.

DOA

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

2008 on draft at Dutch's. Looks good; black with a little head that quickly dissipates into lacing. Smells good too; deep and malty. Tastes great! One of the best RIS I've ever had. The age does wonders to an already great beer. Mouthfeel is great too, especially for such a big beer (11%). Overall, an excellent brew that I hope to have aged again.

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

3.6/5  rDev -16.9%

I bought a "2011 classic release" bomber bottle out of the cooler at da local Spec's. I poured it into a Victory pint glass.

A: Of course the bottle is Stone's awesome gargoyle theme. The beer looks very dark, of course, but when held up to the light, you can see light through the edges. The head is a lighter brown more than a tan. Very appealing appearance wise.

S: The aroma is very complex. Roasty as well as bready. A very nice smelling stout.

T: The taste is complex like the smell, but for me it is too much. It seems too much is going on. A very roasted flavor comes out, but it almost seems like my tongue can't keep up with all the flavor. Not much booze for the ten point five. A lingering after taste is kind of a put off as it is dry, but lasts way to long.

M: The feel is fine until you get to the after taste. It is so dry it is almost sour.

O: This is a obviously a very complex stout, but almost too complex. I can think of a couple Stouts I would go for before this one. It is not bad, but just not a real stand out as far as imperial stouts go. That being said, I do think you should give a try for yourself. I bet this beer ages interestingly, though, with how complex the aroma/flavors are.

3.57/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Very dark brown, can see a tiny bit through the edges, chocolate colored one finger head that fades quickly, can't get much head out of this one, no lacing.

S - Dark roasted malts, some chocolate and liqorice and quite a bit of tobacco that I don't enjoy but that many may love.

T - Lots of very dark roasted malt, chocolate/coffee and liqorice, all very nice flavor... but then I get some of that tobacco again and just don't enjoy it.

M - Great mouthfeel, full bodied and completely coats the mouth low to medium carbonation.

O - I will try this beer again but for me I just don't like the tobacco flavor, it doesn't ruin it for me but doesn't allow me to enjoy it as much.

4.57/5  rDev +5.5%

2007 Vintage on tap last night at City Beer SF

I'll note, I'm not at all a fan of this beer fresh, however 5 years has turned this beer into something truly beautiful.

The nose is straight port wine and dark fruits with a tiny hint of vanilla. Although there is no bourbon component to this beer, you'd swear in the nose that there is a mild bourbon barrel hint going on in there as well. The smell was absolutely sublime. I've never come across a better nose on a standard RIS.

The taste was much of the same minus the bourbon. Just shy of what the nose gave off. Not too heavy and not at all light. The mouthfeel was nice, however I prefer my stouts creamier, similair to The Abyss after a year of age or Velvetier, similair to a Parabola. That's just getting knit-picky though.

I feel very fortunate to have randomly stumbled across this vintage. Get it if you can!

Stone Imperial Russian Stout from Stone Brewing