Stone Imperial Russian Stout | Stone Brewing

Availability: Spring

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-21-2001

Reviews: 2,748 | Ratings: 8,352
4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

I bought two of these at CIty Wide in South Bend and im cellaring one for later. The other one we had last night at our South Bend Coalition of the Drinking club. This is the early summer 2005 release. Pours black, black, black. creamy caramel colored head with good lacing. fantastic overall appearance. Smells like roasted malts, chocolate, prunes. Taste was great. smoky roasted maltiness, coffee-also roasted, sourness like coffee grains, alcohol not totally hidden. Smooth in the mouth. smacks the roof of the mouth a bit for the first sip or two. Faaaantastic drinkability. i only give it a 4.5 though because im so optimistic about the one im cellaring that i want to leave room to give it a better score.

4.13/5  rDev -4.8%

Early summer 2005 release: This Rusky Imp emerged from the bottle a deep and dark brown. Getting a decent head took some work, but I managed to get nearly an inch of ruby tinted cocoa fluff. Some reverse cascading took effect and I was afraid that it was going to overflow my glass. The head split in a hurry leaving only a ring. Lace factor was minimal due to small sips and a slickness that caused the little bergs to go sliding back into the mix. Every now and then a small carbonation bubble could be seen struggling through the thickness, but it was fairly light on effervescence.

Chocolate and raisinesque dark fruit notes dominated the nose. Vague coffee bean impressions were notable although very mute. The alcohol presence left its vaporous sting amidst the mostly sweet scents. I was unable to notice any trademark hop character, and overall the nose was pretty light.

The taste was basically the nose as interpreted by the taste buds. Scent and smell were nearly identical. Heavy on chocolate with over ripe vinous qualities. There was scarcely any bitterness in play. The finish remained juicy and wet without any dryness. Lip smacking and luscious come to mind as adjectives. The dark fruit qualities lingered on in the aftertaste quite nicely.

The mouthfeel was pretty thick. It held the clean and refined Stone character though. Where some brews have a thickness that includes an almost palpable grainy chunkiness, and sugary granulated feeling, this one was smooth and clean. It was simply dense. I have never palated anything I can think of that was similar to this with such a clean thickness.

The drinkability factor could be considered as pretty darn drinkable. This brew wasn't really a mammoth by any stretch. Sure the abv is up there pretty good, but the cleanliness makes this thing dangerously drinkable. A very solid brew, but I have to say that it appears to be greatly overrated. I was expecting more based on the numbers, but this just proves how irrelevant all of our opinions are. To each his own as they say.

4.92/5  rDev +13.4%

Summer '05 Release. Finally got around to rating this one. Aroma was light bread, strong coffee, dark chocolate, and roasted. Moderate yeast and a bit of dough. This baby pours black with minimal head. Excellent lacing that fully diminishes. This is one full bodeid brew that's oily/syrupy with only a little carbonation. This is my favorite RIS. As I have a bunch of these, I'll be adding my reviews as they age.

4.65/5  rDev +7.1%

2005

This is clearly one of the darkest beers I’ve ever poured. No light comes through what so ever, not ever around the edges. The dark tan head is frothy and left only slight tracks of lace.

Smelled of dirty Hershey’s syrup, black liquorish, slight dark fruits and black roasted malts with a hint of alcohol.

Tasted of huge bitter black chocolate with a smokiness up against my palate. Finishes with the best roasted malt character I’ve ever encountered. The standard to which I here after hold all other imperial stouts. It doesn’t taste like bonfire, or coffee; just smooth roasted malt (and a lot of it, I might add). Marvelous balance!

The mouth feel was medium bodied with a surprisingly small amount of carbonation for an IS. Actually, the light mouth feel just helps the drinkability.

This is a marvelous beer and I highly recommend it.

Acquired in a beer trade.
Bottle states limited early summer 2005 release.
Poured from a bomber into snifter glass at almost room temperature.
Stone bombers are the coolest looking bottles I've seen, their gargoyle kicks ass!!!!

Appearance: O.K., here we go!!! First off, this beer is deep, dark black color, with a one inch thick creamy tan head. It has an inviting look about it. Some delicate tan lacing clings to my glass, but disappears after a few minutes.

Smell: Very balanced aromas of coffee, chocolate and dark fruits, like raisins or plums. Smells like what an Imperial stout should be.

Taste: Holy Crap!!! What an awesome taste!!! I already cannot wait to get more of this brew!!! So well balanced, it taste like it smells, coffee, chocolate and dark fruits. Roasted malts and hops are blended perfectly!! I wouldn't know this has an abv of 10.8%.

Mouthfeel: I must say this stout has the best mouthfeel of any beer I've tasted. Very creamy, not too heavy, not too thin, absolutely perfect!!!

Drinkablility: Even though this brew is 10.8% alcohol, it doesn't hit you too hard. It's hidden very well and the taste leaves you wanting more!!! Also, I've drank about half the bomber already, and I do not feel full at all!!!

Overall this beer lives up to its hipe!!!! This is the first beer that I can honestly say is worthy of a perfect score!! The only downfall is that Stone is not sold in MIchigan yet. So, I'll keep trading or make many trips to Toledo to pick my new favorite beer!

4.69/5  rDev +8.1%

(Served in a snifter)

A- This beer has a blackish black body with a thin wisp of dark chocolate colored head that fades to a thin film around the edge. Even held up to the sun there is no sign of light or carbonation in this beer.

S- Even during the pour the aroma was breathtaking. Dark roasted grains with notes of coffee and black strap molasses, chocolate and port with some nice alcohol aroma at the finish. Prunes and raisins with a hint of dark cherries come through as it warms. Perhaps even a note of hops in the alcohol at the finish. There are some lighter notes of caramel and bready notes also.

T- The dark rich roasted grains and malts have a nice sweetness to them with notes of currants (like the bottle says) and brown sugar. Then a more robust taste comes through of dark roasted coffee with some cigar earthiness in the background. The finish has some vinous taste with a balance of hop bitterness and some alcohol kick.

M- This beer has a medium-full mouthfeel with some silky texture and a nice alcohol warmth to balance the sweetness at the beginning.

D- Even though this is a big complex beer it has a lot of balance and smoothness in flavors. As it warmed in the snifter it really took on different flavors and smells. It wasn't heavy on the burnt flavors but had nice dark flavors of all sorts.

Thanks to karengarys for hunting the beast down for me.

4.79/5  rDev +10.4%

I am rather happy to report that this was my first time trying this brew.
and I knew from the moment my lips touched the bottle and I gently savored that warm sweet smell before sipping, that there was indeed something truely special at work here. It’s dark with huge coffee and chocolate flavors along with some rather imposing but welcomed fruit flavors .The mouthfeel is indeed fantastic experience as well. Overall a Great first tasting beer!

4.26/5  rDev -1.8%

After much anticipation, I finally popped this bottle of 05 RIS, and enjoyed. It pours an absolute black like I'vew never seen before, and a caramel colored head that dissapates rather quickly. In the glass, this looks just incredible. First thoughts when smelling it remind me of malt extract that I brew with, "Whoppers"(the malted candy), and dates.

The flavor of this beer goes along with the aroma, with huge malt flavors, slightly sweet without being cloying at all, a bit of roastiness on the finish, backed by a nice hop profile, as well a a subdued smokiness.

All in all, this is one of the best imperial stouts I've ever had, partially because it is SO much different than the standard old rasputin, heresy, or other imperial stout. I cannot wait for the 3 bottles that I have in the cellar. I think 3-4 years will do quite well.

Next time you see it in the stores (I think I bought mine in april or may) pick up a few bottles. This is one beer well worth every single penny!

4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

stone imperial stout. big bottle. big beer. 2005 release.

so right off the bat im thinking, "what is that? are you even trying to form a head? a pathetic attempt."
quickly, i bite my tongue. "ouch!!"
the blackness of the beer actually dims the room.
i reach for another light switch, but to no avail. looking through stone IS colored glasses makes everything appear dark.

and the smell?! agghh! no need for nose hair trimmers this month. gone in a flash. fig, dates, over-ripe plum to the point of producing their own alcohol. and alcohol. i swear this stuff will take off your nail polish. but still sweet, fruit, and mouth wateringly delicious.

hot damn. multiply the aroma a few times and get the taste. i swear there is ssome seriously good milk chocolate in there some where. it is that smooth.
of course the guys at stone cant show their sensitive side so they try to cover it with loads of roasted malt, bitterness out the you know what, coffee beans, and heat.
yeah, if i was a russian czar, i would still drink this. unimagineable smoothness when it approaches room temp.

mouthfeel is hard to describe. this stuff must numb the tongue cause i dont feel it past the front of my mouth. but on the front? goood.

and drinkability? well, ok, its 10+%abv makes it hard to session (ha!! thats an understatement). but after this, i doubt anything will taste the same. i've still got half a pint left and it has changed the way i think about beer. is it possible to cram too much of a good thing into one bottle? nah. just call it stone irs and leave it at that.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Thanks to DonOfBeer for bringing this to the house on New Years Eve !
I love Imperial Stouts, and we have recently had Dark Lord, Bells Expedition, and Smuttynose recently. This one is a great beer !

Poured dark black with the faintest amber highlights at the edge, the rising bubbles from the pour result in what I call a reverse waterfall effect (flowing uphill) that I typically only notice in rich dark beers, this gives a thin brown head that faded quickly into the blackness.

The smell was delightfully roasty, malty with a hint of hops,

Taste was rich, malty, sweet chocolate, hoppy and well balanced.

Mouthfeel was full, viscous and solid.

Drinkable, if you can find it. It hits all the bases, and is one of the best.

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

Much thanks to egajdzis for this bottle...
Appears a dark, cloudy black with a dark tan head and spotty lace. The head slowly fades into a small film and leaves tons of lacing around the lass.
Smell is of fudge brownie, malty ovaltine, chocolate, along with citrusy hops coming through everything.
Taste is of chocolate fudge with a nice malted richness and mild vinous notes.
Mouthfeel is of smooth chocolate with hops that compliments the brew perfectly.
This is a phenomenal beer.

4.46/5  rDev +2.8%

Black-not just black but BLACK. Whisper of a head. Aroma of dark chocolate and black currants. Somewhat floral and hoppy. Big, thick roasted malt flavor. Very heavy hand has been used on the hops-decent balance between the hops and roasted malt. Licorice and anise really dominate. Has the perfect inky and oily slickness that I love in an Imperial Stout. Very, very drinkable beer. Who could criticize such a brew...

3.62/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Black color. Black. Scarce head, brownish.
Roasted, light smoked, roasted malts. Cinder. Slightly spiced.
The taste is roasted too, with again smoked and peppery/spicy. And all filled with malt roast chocolate cocoa sharpness.
Good, round, full. The alcohol is perceptible, anyway. Bitterness, rhubarb.
The body is fulla nd round, textured. Resolute, absolutely.
Resolute bitterness in the aftertaste, and roasted. Very bitter.
Maybe the bitterness may be a little boring after a while.

4.85/5  rDev +11.8%

First off I must say WOW, this one lives up to its hype.

Appearence - Poured motor oil black with a tiny head that went away in seconds.

Smell - Smell is that of coffee and alcohol, alcohol smell was quite powerful.

Taste - A very complex brew, taste starts as coffee and progresses to alcohol and raisin's. In the end I thought I tasted rum raisin which was interesting and quite delightful.

Mouthfeel - Very syrupy. This is one heavy beer, quite rich as well. Extrememly smooth to drink.

Drinkability - Quite exceptional, I dont see myself drinking more then 1 of these in an evening, but that 1 is savored till its last drop.

4.88/5  rDev +12.4%

my christmas eve beer. early summer 2004 release. From the bottle. poured black with a big bubbly brown head that left some lacing. aoma coco bitter sweet chocolate, molasses, a light touch of alcohol as it warm the coffe and dark fruits come out, roasted malts. flavor wooow I can see why this is rated number 2. the first thing that hit the taste buds was the coffee and alcohol than the roasted malts and the sweet berries than along came the chocolate nice mouth feel. would like to get a lot of this stuff

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

I think it's my fault - but I simply couldn't get a thick or lasting head in my Stone Imperial Stout glass (couldn't help buying it). What bit I did get was a dark tan that lasted about two seconds. the appearance of the beer otherwise is phenomenal, absolutely the darkest beer I've seen. Zero light gets through. Very sticky, a good swirl leaves a lasting brown sheen on the surface of the glass.

Smell is of nuts and baker's chocolate, with lots of spice zing and a whiff of fruit or citrus. Complex and hard to describe.

Taste is exceptional. So many things going on I can barely describe them. Oily, fruity, cloves, chocolate, coffee. There's a definite alcohol warmth but it's merely the nail in the coffin, sealing it all up. This stuff is GOOD. Taste buds I didn't know I had are standing to attention and rendering a proper salute.

Mouthfeel is similarly wonderful; Carbonation is thin, a few small and tight bubbles that are disinclined to rise, but the beer is so chewy and sticky it's like drinking a heavy wine. You know you're drinking an honest stout.

This beer is quite drinkable for its style; The alcohol content is high but masked by so many other good qualities no faults can be given (as if I'd fault high alcohol content).

This was the last bottle in the store and I'm glad I got it, and its matching glass too. If you see a bottle, snatch it up.

Poured from the bottle into a oversized wine goblet. Vintage 2005

Appearance: The beer pours almost a perfect black. The head was a fantastic creamed coffee coloration. Great head retention noted on the beer. The lacing is heavy tan webs down the glass.

Smell: This beer is almost perfect. The smell has loads of darkly roasted coffee and chocolates. Fruity smells float throughout the beer. There is the smell of curants, raisins soaked in rum. There is a very nice spicyness floating in the back of the smell.

Taste: This beer is true to smell. There is massive amounts of chocolatey sweetness. This sweetness is offset by loads and loads of dark char roasted coffee. Dam this is great stuff. There is a nice assortment of fruity goodness floating on all the other great stuff.

Mouthfeel: This beer is very chewy. There is just layer upon layer of great tasting stuff here. This beer is very full bodied. Thanks Stones this is a Imperial Stout that does not fuck the drinker around. I could not ask for anything else in a stout.

Drinkability: Dam this is a good beer. This is a very full bodied, very big balanced treat. Gods of Beer I love this brew!

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

A HUGE thanks to BA "smchnsgy" for getting me the 05 and 04 version of this beer. This particular rating will be for the 05 version. I may revise it for the 04 version when I crack it open...which speaking of crack....this beer *must* be about as addictive.

Translucent black bottle with the Stone Gargoyle, 2005 limited edition on the bottom, with all sorts of cute references to Czarist Russia hidden in spots around the bottle. Makes for interesting reading while enjoying this beer.

Then the taste. I drank. It was hard not to swallow tears at the same time. The taste was so complex, and literally seemed to change as the beer grew warmer. Some hops to it, mostly

It poured into the glass with the consistency, speed and appearance of motor oil (no kidding). Thick and viscous, with a thin red-brown head that dissipated quickly. The beer did, however, leave a decent lacing around the glass.

I smelled it. I wept a little. I smelled dried fruit, but on the heavier side like dried cranberrys or raisins. Huge toasted malts, like dark rye toast.

As I tasted it, it was hard not to drink tears at the same time. Beautiful. Sweet hops up front, dark chocolate bitterness, a bit of anise seed. As it warmed, some of the dried fruit character became more apparent, as did the bitter dark chocolate become enhanced. So huge and complex.

This is definitely a full bodied beer, about as thick and chewy as I can remember in a long time. Exquisitely drinkable, but really only one at a time. Amazing beer.

Can't wait to see how the "bottle konditioned (nice touch with the 'k,' Stone!)" 2004 version tastes. I may pass out.

4.85/5  rDev +11.8%

Stone Imperial Stout (2005 version)

Stone Imperial Stout poured opaque black with a short tan head. Aroma contained notes of chocolate, fruit, and liquorish. I tasted cocoa, fruit, ripe olives and a hint of smoke. The body was viscous and thick with low carbonation.

Deliscious. Rich, thick, flavorful. This stout is worth seeking.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

This beer pours a dark black with brown tones and has a thick tan head that lingers with the entire pour. The smell is of dark chocolate, plums, raisins, black cherries and no alcohal to be smelt. As I tasted this beer the bitterness from the hops kicks to the fore-front as well the malty chocolate essence and finishes sweet caramel and nutty. This beer is so smooth I could drink it all day.

4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

22 ounce bottle. Stone Imperial Stout chugs out a thick, black color into my Duvel glass. It is topped with a small, dark brown head. The aroma is roasted coffee, licorice, chocolate, and raisins. Huge roasted malt flavor. Sweet, but not overly so. Hoppy in the finish. Perhaps the thickest mouthfeel I've experienced in a beer, but the truly amazing thing is that the drinkability does not suffer for this at all. This beer is very drinkable, and at almost 11% abv. A great beer that lives up to the hype.

4.52/5  rDev +4.1%

Spring 2005 edition

Winter is kicking in full force, time to start drinking the stuff being "saved until winter"

appearance: very dark, motor oil-esque, thin chocolate brown rim, light and creamy lacing. Appearance is pretty good all around but not awe inspiring

smell: rich and full....sweet chocolate, creamy aromas, some dark fruits...a touch of coffee on the nose...very nice

taste: soooo creamy, sweet and rich chocolate, light coffee, roasted malts, some sweet hops in the background, some licorice floating around...alcohol present but not offensive, kind of a brown sugar sweetness

mouthfeel: silky smooth, creamy, light alcohol

drinkability: very drinkable, especially compared to expedition stout or rogue imp

4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

I've been holding on to several bottles for special occassions, and since I just finished my last final of the fall semester of MBA school, I figure what better time to pop the top.

First off... the pour. This beer is darker than any beer I have ever seen. Pours thick, like the motor oil the bottle speaks to. the head, while fairly small, is a reddish brown that I have never seen before. Gorgeous beer.

As soon as I poured this beer into the glass, the fragrance hit my nose. What a complex aroma! From chocolate to berries and fruit, to a noticeable alcohol aroma, with a bit of toffee thrown in the back end. Wow... amazing odor.

The flavour is just as the smell would have me believe. Extraordinarily complex, and beautifully balanced. Huge toffee notes in the back end of this one. This is preceded by chocolate, vinous berries, and big chunky malt tastes.... simply incredible.... flawless.

As the beer warms, it becomes thicker... extremely thick. OK... not Guinness thick, but then again, that would limit the drinkability wouldn't it. As it is, the mouthfeel is perfectly thick.... you can notice the moderate carbonation and hoppiness on the tongue, but nothing the weight of the beer doesn't overcome.

For a 10.8% beer, I challenge anyone to say this isn't drinkable. Barely perceptable alcohol, perfect weight, wonderful taste. All in all, I have a hard time not giving this one all 5's.... after drinking this beer, I want to go back to all the other Impy Stouts I've tasted (maybe save Storm King) and dock them for producing, in comparison, a mediocre beer.

Wow.... glad I have two more of these in the cellar.... absolutely phenomenal.

3.5/5  rDev -19.4%

A: Pours like used motor oil (that's AWESOME). Black, slight redish tinge, tan head... a little retention, lace.

S: Burnt, fruity, bready.

T: Bitter, roasted, tar, molases, black currents. Certainly some depth to the flavour. Bold hop bitterness, initially slightly sweet, with a dry, sherry-like finish that's quite bitter. Did I mention it's bitter?

M: Thick, syrupy.

D: I find it a little harsh.

An interesting brew. Currently rated #2... but I think it'll start to fall as the hop heads come off their Bitter Blitz.

Thanks Len!

3.9/5  rDev -10.1%

I kept on plugging away at the Stone lineup, hoping I'd eventually find one that I actually liked, and appear to have found it. The IRS is, hands down, the best Stone beer I've ever had. Contrary to my other experiences with Stone beers, this one almost achieves a very real balance between alcohol presence, malt sweetness and insane hoppiness, and I feel like I've finally found one of their beers that would improve with age.

Appearance: I like to shop at Uwajimaya, the Asian supermarket here in Seattle. It's a great place to find things like Asian produce, inexpensive soba and all the other crap my wife sends me in for that I can't seem to recall at the moment (I do love me some daikon radish). They also have the single largest soy sauce section I've ever encountered in any store. I like soy sauce just fine, but I'm not sure I like it that much. If I had ever found a bottle of carbonated soy sauce and poured it into a pint glass, it would look exactly like the IRS does. Actually, it also looks just like a ninja wearing coonskin cap (completely impenetrable blackness, with a dark brown head).

Smell: A massive blast of malt and alcohol that is chased out of your nose by this insane soy sauce follow up. I poured it, took a deep sniff and thought i was insane. I handed it to my wife, she did the same and said, "Smells like soy sauce." Nice to know I'm not completely smell-deficient.

Taste: I was a little dubious, and didn't really expect to like it, but I did. Massive alcohol in the front that is balanced by the malty, brown sugary sweetness in the middle, and then that weird salty, soy saucy finish. The hops are there (I get them only when I burp), but they are completely masked by all of the other characteristics of the beer.

Mouthfeel: I like thick, chewy beers, and this is one. I'm only rating it a four, however, because I don't like thick, chewy beers that have a massive alcohol front to them. Makes them seem thicker and more onerous than I like them to be.

Drinkability: I originally had this at a 4, but I'm actually moving it down to a 3.5. The reason for this is that alcohol presence. I was able to finish the bomber, but it took me the better part of two hours. I'm very tempted to buy a bottle of this and toss it in the cellar for a year or so. I bet that it would age very, very well (and would probably change this number score quite a bit).

Stone Imperial Russian Stout from Stone Brewing