Chris Banker / Insurgente / Stone Xocoveza | Stone Brewing

Chris Banker / Insurgente / Stone XocovezaChris Banker / Insurgente / Stone Xocoveza
4.34/5
Outstanding

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Formerly Stone Xocoveza For The Holidays & The New Year

Our chocolaty, winter-spiced mocha stout is back. This insanely delicious take on Mexican hot chocolate is crafted with cocoa, coffee, pasilla peppers, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. First brewed in 2014 with San Diego homebrewer Chris Banker after his recipe was named the winner of our annual homebrew competition, it quickly became a cross-country sensation as craft beer media and fans cheered for Stone Xocoveza…and clamored for more. We too loved this beer, so of course we caroled ¡Claro que sí!

Now gifted with a new name, Stone Xocoveza for the Holidays & the New Year has joined our eminent lineup of special releases. We’re releasing it just in time for that time of the year when the joyous spirit of giving is in the air and good behavior is generously rewarded.

Added by bccocx on 07-10-2014

#379

Ratings: 3,920 |  Reviews: 682

1.16/5  rDev -73.3%

1.16/5  rDev -73.3%

1.5/5  rDev -65.4%

Way too much pepper flavor and the mouthfeel was very thin

1.62/5  rDev -62.7%

This is classified as a Milk Stout/Sweet Stout so I am rating it as a Milk/Stout Sweet Stout.

Holy crud was this beer bad. I love stone, I love stouts. Spiced stouts? Not so much.

This beer was a cinnamony mess of a stout

1.75/5  rDev -59.7%

There was just something really wrong with this beer. Something tastes off to me. Like medicine. Maybe I got a bad batch, or maybe my class had soap or something in it, but I can't imagine this is the same beer everyone else has been raving over. Could it all be hype?

1.84/5  rDev -57.6%

1.97/5  rDev -54.6%

Pitch black pour with a tan head. Very opaque. Unfortunately, the head never forms with the pour, only with a swirl. It's a beautiful head and it does retain well, but I shouldn't have to swirl it. Almost no lacing.

My beer might be too cold, but I'm getting almost nothing in the nose. After a few minutes in the snifter, I'm starting to pick up coffee grounds, but that's it. No roast, no malt, no hops, no spices.

Nothing in the taste either. No vanilla, no nutmeg, no chocolate. It tastes like watered down coffee.

The only thing I can pick up is bitterness. There's not a hint of sweet, not a hint of spice. Just bitterness. It lingers in the back of your mouth until the next awful sip.

Overall, this is the worst Stone beer I've ever had, and I've had my share. It's also as bad a stout as I can remember, particularly a mocha stout...particularly a milk stout, of which this clearly isn't. Other than look, this was terrible. Borderline drain pour.

2.11/5  rDev -51.4%

Just opened a bottle excited to try it. Has zero flavor of what the description and others here are saying. Bad batch?

2.25/5  rDev -48.2%

Geez...I wonder if i am drinking a different beer than everyone else who submitted a review. The dominate flavor here is some off-putting flavor that does not even taste like food stuff. There are hints of milk, peppers and chocolate, but mostly this tastes like Johnson and Johnson Baby Lotion with peppers. Cannot recommend this and will think twice before buying another "adventurous Stone beer".
I am pretty sure this beer is rated so highly because it is near the top of most peoples budget for a single beer and for a $8-$10 beer it is unique.

2.28/5  rDev -47.5%

2.32/5  rDev -46.5%

Was mot doing it for me. Nose was "dirty". I had higher hopes.

Beyond hideous

2.58/5  rDev -40.6%

"Tastes like someone made a cake out of beer." It says mocha but I'm getting like… cinnamon? mint? Peppers, too?

LOOK: Very dark; basically black. Never got much head; what bubbles do form come together as a thin little cap (very light tan).

SMELL: Coffee notes lead into something peppery. Aromatic, but pleasant only if you want that spicy tail.

TASTE: Chocolate and coffee to start, going into spices: cinnamon and pepper with some subtle mint. On the dessert side of things.

FEEL: Fits the profile for a stout. Full-bodied; heavy and a little oily.

2.68/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured a 22oz bottle chilled.

A: Dark not super viscous but pretty good sight for a stout but with a brown mocha head. Light carbonation. Kind of looks like a porter/stout merge.

S: Slight cinnamon, burnt sugar, peppers although not assertive. Coffee although not pleasant coffee with some real light vanilla tones.

T: Right up front there is a lot of things going. Malty porter flavors mixed with unrefined coffee, slight heat from the peppers, some cloves, and then good chocolate in that order. The finish is a nice mexican chocolate but that's the best part about this.

M: Sweet and quite thin for a stout. The pepper is subtle but I'd like more balance. Kind of a mess and the biggest redemption is that after taste.

O: What I was really hoping for was a mimic of Port Brewing's Mexicutioner. There are just way too many flavors battling here and while it's a better effort than a lot of these collaboration beers ultimately kind of a miss. That aftertaste is real pleasant and kudos for not making the peppers too harsh but I was hoping for something thick with balance but this leans more towards a better version of the last milk stout that was put out.

2.72/5  rDev -37.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Definite bitter chocolate taste. oddly enough it also reminded me of when someone drops a cigarette into an otherwise good stout.

2.75/5  rDev -36.6%