Stone / Chris Banker / Insurgente - Xocoveza | Stone Brewing

Stone / Chris Banker / Insurgente - XocovezaStone / Chris Banker / Insurgente - Xocoveza
4.34/5
Outstanding

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: English Sweet / Milk Stout

Formerly Stone Xocoveza For The Holidays & The New Year

Our chocolaty, winter-spiced mocha stout is back. This insanely delicious take on Mexican hot chocolate is crafted with cocoa, coffee, pasilla peppers, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. First brewed in 2014 with San Diego homebrewer Chris Banker after his recipe was named the winner of our annual homebrew competition, it quickly became a cross-country sensation as craft beer media and fans cheered for Stone Xocoveza…and clamored for more. We too loved this beer, so of course we caroled ¡Claro que sí!

Now gifted with a new name, Stone Xocoveza for the Holidays & the New Year has joined our eminent lineup of special releases. We’re releasing it just in time for that time of the year when the joyous spirit of giving is in the air and good behavior is generously rewarded.

Added by bccocx on 07-10-2014

#672

Ratings: 4,092 |  Reviews: 736
4.53/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

4.56/5  rDev +5.1%

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

Ole! Enjoyable beer, but needs pumpkin pie, chocolate cake or some other kind of food. Definitely better than some of the other Mexican spiced beers.

Yes, yes, I know. Not your typical Beer Advocate review, but I'm sure you have already read about the foam.

I think this is my favorite beer I've ever had from Stone. Pours a beautiful dark brownish black with a dark mocha head. Aromas and flavors are layers and layers of unfolding complexity: chocolates, spices, coffees, earthy qualities, caramel drizzle sweetness and chocolatey cakes. Basically the perfect brew representing so much complexity so well balanced into a symphony of flavors.

I recommend trying it mixed into egg nog for a Winter treat.

4.28/5  rDev -1.4%

4.56/5  rDev +5.1%

4.48/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.4/5  rDev +1.4%

A: Pours a very dark brown, almost black, viscous beer but thin creamy head (3/3)
S: Where to begin? Chocolate, nutmeg, cinnamon get me at first, but when I go back I get coffee too, and a healthy hot pepper spiciness (10/12)
T: I have never had anything like this beer. The chocolate dominates up front, and when I open my mouth I get a blend of all the non-spicy spices, and the aftertaste, like good Mexican chocolate is all in the heat of the peppers. Nothing is overpowering--it comes in waves whether I think it’s nutmeg, cinnamon, or chocolate that’s dominating. (18/20)
F: Very viscous, but there are just enough bubbles to back it up, and there’s a somewhat dry feeling to complement the spicy aftertaste. (4/5)
O: Wow. I’m still in awe of the balance. Having this many ingredients, and keeping all of them in control is fascinating. It is not a beer for all occasions--you’ve gotta want spicy Mexican chocolate. But when you’re in the mood, I can’t imagine anything better. (9/10)
(44/50)