Stone / Chris Banker / Insurgente Xocoveza | Stone Brewing

Stone / Chris Banker / Insurgente  XocovezaStone / Chris Banker / Insurgente  Xocoveza
4.34/5
Outstanding

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Formerly Stone Xocoveza For The Holidays & The New Year

Our chocolaty, winter-spiced mocha stout is back. This insanely delicious take on Mexican hot chocolate is crafted with cocoa, coffee, pasilla peppers, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. First brewed in 2014 with San Diego homebrewer Chris Banker after his recipe was named the winner of our annual homebrew competition, it quickly became a cross-country sensation as craft beer media and fans cheered for Stone Xocoveza…and clamored for more. We too loved this beer, so of course we caroled ¡Claro que sí!

Now gifted with a new name, Stone Xocoveza for the Holidays & the New Year has joined our eminent lineup of special releases. We’re releasing it just in time for that time of the year when the joyous spirit of giving is in the air and good behavior is generously rewarded.

Added by bccocx on 07-10-2014

#389

Ratings: 4,027 |  Reviews: 714
4.44/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.53/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle,into a snifter.

1 1/2 inch creamy light brown/khaki head,overflowing out of the glass.Head dissipated pretty quick,but maintains a thin ring,and beautiful lacing around the glass throughout.Dark black body with no light coming through the glass.Nice amount of carbonation.

The nose is mocha/coffee,with dark chocolate,and highlights of cocoa,cinnamon,and nutmeg,and a small hint of vanilla.Nice roasted malt smell,very toasty scent.

The palate pretty much follows the nose,with an added hint of pepper,to add a nice little snap.The body is thick and chewy,with nice carbonation,mixed with a small hint of peppers to add a nice finish.

This is an extremely complex beer,that is sessionable,and a great winter stout altogether.One that I have drank before this tasting,and will drink again.

2.5/5  rDev -42.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Beyond hideous

4.86/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

4.48/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.94/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Nice looking beer, very dark, pouring with a relatively small head.
A lot of smells, the coconut standing out.
Different blended tastes: coconut, lemon, orange, chocolate, coffee. Iti takes some time to define all these aromas.
Vanilla aftertaste, with the coffee hanging over for some time.
An interesting blend. I guess it's a must for stout lovers.

3.38/5  rDev -22.1%

Pours deathly dark with no little to no head. Sweet aroma and very sweet flavor of cinnamon and cake. Just like a beer version of a chocolate mocha drink. Unfortunately I despise sweet drinks and really don't like this beer. Never had a sweet stout before and I don't think I'll try one again.

3.94/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.77/5  rDev +9.9%

I'd never laid eyes on this beer until I walked in my bottle shop today and there were 5 cases (one of which went home with me) on the floor so I jumped at the chance to try this until now elusive beer. Bonus points for the fact that my wife loves spiced stouts and she is a cinnamon fanatic...

Chilies and cocoa dominate the nose and reminds me of a particular hot cocoa that my mom would make around the holidays... cinnamon and nutmeg with a touch of vanilla bean.... Roasted coffee beans join the party and bring a new dimension to the aroma...

While I could hope for a little more body to the beer, I'm ecstactic with the taste and flavors... The chilies are minor players here while the cinnamon and nutmeg and assorted spices drive the train... Black coffee with a splash of Grandmas homemade boiled custard... Not a hint of booze which is surprising but welcome... I'm splitting hairs on the body as well due to the fact that as the beer warms it seems to grow richer and smoother and everything really melds together perfectly.... Definitely lives up to the hype..

Very different and unique... I've never had a beer that brings these flavors to the forefront in such a manner as this one did... There are a lot out there that claim to but they have never fit the bill... this one does... I can taste all of the advertised components without the extensive ingedient list becoming muddled... In fact, they complement each other in such a compelling way as to set this apart from all others..

It screams Christmas to me.... With its sentimental nose and unique flavors most often found around the holiday season, I predict that this case will be hard pressed to last until Christmas Day... but it will...

I will be having one of these on Christmas morning next to the Christmas tree as the kiddies discover what Santa has brought while Nat King Cole croons about Jack Frost nipping at our nose...

I love the beer... I'm glad I finally had a chance to give it a go and will more than likely buy more of it as I know my local shop has 2 kegs waiting to be put on once December rolls around... I envision growlers and crowlers...

Kudos to the folks at Stone.... this is an awesome beer....

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

3.69/5  rDev -15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.28/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.77/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.12/5  rDev -5.1%

The smell is a hint of the flavors in this delicious pepper stout. The heat is perfectly balanced by the sweetness of the lactose and vanilla. The cinnamon and nutmeg just add a subtle touch to reality make the total flavor profile stand out.

4.94/5  rDev +13.8%

I have never tasted a beer like this before, nothing else on the market like it.
Absolutely expertly done here by Stone. Pours very smooth and almost dark black/brown.
Your palate gets a variety of flavors - malt, chocolate, pepper, spice, heat, spices and each one is delicious. I don't know how or why this beer works, but it does!

4.23/5  rDev -2.5%

4.79/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

3.79/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

I love Stone. It kills me to write this, but WTF is going on with the nose?!? I am usually pretty easy on beer reviews, and personally consider my palate to be rather broad and forgiving. But here's my take on Xocoveca. Attractive, sweet, malty, smooth...but smells like a candle store. WAY too many aromas happening at once. And the pepper backbone is really cutting through the air when I sip. It's not the worst beer I've ever had, not by a long shot. But it is one of the weirdest scents I've experienced in some time.

A-pours black with a tan head with good retention
S-roasted coffee, unsweetened cocoa, spicy peppers, cinnamon, nutmeg
T-unsweetned cocoa up front, followed by bitter coffee, more cocoa mixing with cinnamon and nutmeg, taste of peppers in the finish
M-medium bodied with average carbonation, smooth and slightly silky
O-great beer with a lot going on. Flavors get very bold as it warms

4.81/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look:
Pours a pitch black brown color with a three finger coffee colored head.

Aroma:
Astonishing. Gourmet chocolate and vanilla custard with notes of cinnamon, spicy chili peppers and coffee. It smells soo sexy.

Taste:
Very well balanced, especially for a milk stout. Upfront, notes of lactose and vanilla. Flavors of milk chocolate, bitter roasted malt, and dark bitter roasted coffee set in mid palate. Gradually over the corse of the finish hints of spicy peppers and more smoky chocolate malt develop. It ends on more notes of sweet chocolate, spicy peppers and vanilla.

Feel:
Body is silky and smooth, but light weight and only moderately carbonated. %Abv is very well hidden.

Overall Comments:
A unique and incredibly delicious beer. Everything here is in perfect balance.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured into ale glass. Seems like a good idea to let it warm a bit.

L: Dark color with 2F+ foamy tan head. Good retention, leaves lots of lacing and a cap and ring.

S: Mostly chocolate and vanilla, a little bit of cinnamon, maybe.

T: Cocoa, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg, and a little bit of chili kick (not much at all).

F: Light to medium bodied (lighter than I think is right for this), a little bit creamy. Not much carbonation. Balance not entirely there, but not bad.

O: Like it, but not bowled over. Certainly very good for the price point.

4.17/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Stone / Chris Banker / Insurgente Xocoveza from Stone Brewing