18th Anniversary IPA

3.93 | pDev: 11.2%
From:
Stone Brewing

Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Very Good
18th Anniversary IPA18th Anniversary IPA
Notes: As we compose the text for this celebratory beer—a golden-brown India pale ale dry-hopped exclusively and abundantly with El Dorado hops—we stand ready to leap from the precipice of all we know into a new era for our company, our beers and, most importantly, our fans. It’s one that will see us exploring new territory, both geographically and creatively, as we evolve from pacesetters for the American craft brewing movement to cross-planetary champions of the worldwide cause of craft, hoisting our banner to proclaim artisanal beers’ vast superiority over stripped-down, business-driven, industrialized, fizzy, yellow mediocrity. We thank you for shadowing us for the first 18 years of our journey, and welcome you to join us for next leg and all that follows.
Reviews: 185 | Ratings: 1,355 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

Bring out your dead! Yeah, yeah. Greg Koch would undoubtedly be unhappy with me for this one (& several others to follow), but he & his distributor & my purveyor all got their bank ($$$) at some point, so who's to lay shame on the end user? Only me & maybe yinz. Nobody else has skinz in this game.

From the Bottle (!): "The hoppiest golden-brown IPA on Earth": "The 18-year milestone is a significant one, affording us a brilliant apex from which to employ crystal clear hindsight. Looking back to who we were when we embarked on this humble yet noble journey to craft the finest of ales, we see a company that, while much, much smaller, was every bit the sincere, bullish, determined entity it remains today. Since Day One, we've fostered grand-scale aspirations while stalwartly maintaining long-sightedness firmly fixed on a bevy of goals. From brews extending the idea and definition of what beer can be through their intensity, outlandishness, decadence and refinement; to venues and facilities harnessing and celebrating Earth's elemental resources; to helping awaken collective consciousness to the great worth of authentically, consciously well-crafted artisanal items; to playing a major role in bringing together and cementing the bonds of peers within our industry; we have accomplished a great many objectives. But we're far from done!"; " As we compose the text for this celebratory beer—a golden-brown India pale ale dry-hopped exclusively and abundantly with El Dorado hops—we stand ready to leap from the precipice of all we know into a new era for our company, our beers and, most importantly, our fans. It’s one that will see us exploring new territory, both geographically and creatively, as we evolve from pacesetters for the American craft brewing movement to cross-planetary champions of the worldwide cause of craft, hoisting our banner to proclaim artisanal beers’ vast superiority over stripped-down, business-driven, industrialized, fizzy, yellow mediocrity. We thank you for shadowing us for the first 18 years of our journey, and welcome you to join us for next leg and all that follows. [undersigned] Greg Koch CEO & Co-founder[,] Steve Wagner President & Co-founder".

I Pop!ped the cap & once more mustered up the slowest, gentlest C-Line pour that I could conjure. It really did not take much for it to begin foaming, to the point that I simply had to back down & stop altogether. I was faced with two-plus fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, tawny/light-tan head with wonderous retention. Color was a beauteous Copper-Brown (SRM = > 17, < 22) with NE-quality clarity. 8=O OMFG! Nose was very malty at this point, but not in a sweet way. Instead, it had taken on a very earthy tone, like something freshly-picked from the garden. I have had wet-hopped beers in the past that were quite evocative of this. Mouthfeel was dense, thick, full & creamy, like a dollop had been scooped into my mouth & onto my tongue! The taste was lightly bitter, but intensely earthy!

I felt like I had been outdoors with my next-door neighbor, watching her toil in the soil. She's been at it the past few days & I so want to go out & kibbitz, but isolation is king.

Yeah, I kid you not! This had an unrelenting earthiness of the malt mill in full swing. Man, you get down in the malt room on a brew day when the augur is cranking & this is it!

In CHI, you have to sign a waiver & be suited up. No s**t - one spark & that dust could ignite like a M-Fer! All rooms have non-explosive dust covers over their lamps, but in CHI, they are really uptight about it! I felt like I was going into a magazine at one place (no names), being asked to remove any & all metal & other spark-producing devices as well as getting into a static-free HazMat suit! Yeah, I used to have that cachet at one point.

Back to the beer - Age had rendered it super-smooooothh! 8.5%? It was like beautifully smooth! It was like butter melting in my mouth & on my tongue. Bob, this was sooo good! I would have liked to have shared it with an acquaintance, but another acquaintance aced me out & so he got shortshrifted by extension.

Finish was on the cusp of semi-dry to dry. It evinced a light bitterness, but the way that the malt had evolved still left it in the dry range. Phew! I have several more Stone bombers to get through now. This is going to get interesting! YMMV.

Mar 31, 2020
rodbeermunch from Nevada

3.47/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another installment of the series of banging out beers that haven't been reviewed on Christmas. Annual tradition almost at this point. Here was have one of the less enthusiastic Stone anniversary beers. What was that commercial tugjob shit about golden brown hoppy ale, gtfo here with that shit. I mean, i guess its a good descriptor but not really a good idea. Classic could/should paradigm.

Anyways, looked like a maltier ipa you might not be into from a step dad new balance tier brewery in a tourist kind of city. That earthy mix of dark green and brown that ends up making this grey brown kind of thing almost. But don't let that make you think the clarity is for shit, its good, Stone makes professional looking beers, even if they pick a weird up mashup style. Aroma is a bit of bitter malt and roasted hops. What? But yeah, noble hops with a singe almost.

Taste is bitter, they kind of go for that. That high alpha acid grapefruit rind meets a heftier brown and golden promise package probably. Alcohol = present. Didn't do anything wrong, but you can only mix up so many 'new' ideas to try and have something each anniversary year.

Dec 25, 2018
stevoj from Idaho

3.84/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dark amber with substantial creamy head. Aroma is equal parts malt and hops. Taste leans more towards the hops. Lingering bitter finish. Nice seasonal.

May 18, 2016
bylerteck from Ontario (Canada)

3.83/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A - Amberish bright pour with two fingers of beige head. Good carbonation, spotty lace and a film of retention.

S - Nice pine and resin, caramel, candy. Good balance. Boozy pineapple. Almost a barleywine-esque dark fruit note.

T - Big and piney with resinous notes again. Caramel, bread. Balanced and aggressive.

M - Proper carbonation, full body, rich fruity finish with a low-medium bitterness.

O/D - Nice stuff. More of a American Strong Ale b/c of the maltiness, but a nice one nonetheless.

Feb 27, 2016
Karibourgeois from Texas

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

Clear red amber pour with an off-white one-finger head. Nice floral and pine aroma. Taste has a strong bitterness as expected from a Stone beer with flavors of pine, orange, resin and grass are the most predominant. Also has quite a bit of caramel malt present in the taste and a bit of warmth. Finishes with a lingering bitterness that has both pine and citrus flavors.

Jan 09, 2016
Hop_God from California

3.24/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I'm late with my review, however had notes on this. Was very disappointed. Stone is usually solid with the Anniversary releases but this was a miss. Hope the 19th is an improvement.

Jun 21, 2015
generallee from Virginia

4.1/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 1 pint 6 oz bottle into a tulip glass. The label lists the abv at 8.5%.

Appearance: The body has a dark tarnished copper color. It is cloudy and topped off with a thick light tan head. The holds on well and makes some nice lacing on the glass.

Smell: I the aroma I get a full nose of fresh baked bread, doughy yeast and orange rind like citrus hops.

Taste / Palate: The flavor is balanced between sweet maltiness and citrusy hops. It’s a big full bodied hit of fresh baked bread, brown sugar up front and bitter orange peel and pith in the finish.

May 04, 2015
WunderLlama from Massachusetts

4.19/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bomber poured into chalice

Deep copper , translucent with two finger taupe head . Good lacings.

Aroma of sweet malt

Malt on the tip and middle of the tongue, slight bitterness at the back of the tongue.

Gentle sudsing, nice weight, quaffable.

Very enjoyable beer

Apr 22, 2015
Jadjunk from Georgia

3.68/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

"As we compose the text for this celebratory beer- a golden-brown India pale ale dry-hopped exclusively and abundantly with El Dorado hops- we stand ready to leap from the precipice of all we know into a new era for our company, our beers and, most importantly, our fans." Brewed in the style of an American Double IPA. Available as a one-off release in 22 oz. bottles and on limited draft.

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle to a tulip glass. Served above 52 degrees Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a frothy cream head of a buttery white complexion over a densely hazy deep amber body with moderate sediment and light, lively carbonation. Retention is very good and lacing is light and spotty. 4

(Smell) Aromas of lemony, grassy and floral hops with a moderate bitterness, somewhat dank. Malt notes of candied malts, pale syrups, crystal grains, some moderate sweetness. Potency is moderate. 3.5

(Taste) Big hop flavors up front of citrusy and lemony hops, some mild grass, dank and citrus flavors, moderate bitterness. Malt notes of caramel grain and light syrups, some soft biscuit and a pinch of earthy bread malts. Finishes moderately dry with a spicy hop bitterness. 3.75

(Mouthfeel) Texture is slick, residual oily, lightly chewy and moderately dry. Carbonation is full generating a moderate frothiness and a fully crisp finish. Body is medium+ for the style, medium+ overall. Balance is slightly bitter over sweet. Alcohol presence is mild and there are no off characters. 3.5

(Overall) I missed getting to this one in a timely manner but was still quite impressed with the hop flavors going in, the El Dorado hop flavor is quite lemony on the citrus front and very dank as well. Paired with the filling malt profile, this is a filling but satisfying American IPA with consistent, clean and enjoyable malt and hop flavor throughout, reminiscent of the diversity of the malt and hop profile found in the Enjoy By IPA. 18th Anniversary is one of Stone's better Anniversary ales that I have had in recent years. 3.75

Stone Brewing Co.'s
18th Anniversary IPA
3.68/5.00

Apr 18, 2015
bschinelli from Illinois

Underrated beer. Deep, burnished copper color, huge conifer nose, a light beige head that leaves great lacing on the sides of the glass, big oily pine resin on the tongue, pleasant almost caramel malt middle, dry resin finish. This has alcohol in it? We'll see.

Feb 24, 2015
Boto from Connecticut

4.18/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22oz. bomber: this one pours a murky dark amber color. There was about a finger of an light tan head on it that didn’t linger long, but left some lacing. It has a nice nose. Grapefruit and pineapple hops are predominate, but there are some others hiding in there. Some caramel malts trying to peak thru. The taste is very good. Bitter, but nicely balance with a lot of malts. Grapefruit, pine and pineapple hop flavors are predominate. Some malts also trying to come thru, but not adding any sweetness. Really well balanced and easy drinking. I definitely want another!

Feb 22, 2015
Sam-VW from United Kingdom (England)

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

When you pour this beer, it pours a Ruby colour with Golden sides and a medium white head. It really does look nice in the glass. It leaves dotty lacing on the glass as the head dissipates to a Thin Foam on the top of the beer. On the nose there's loads of Lemon, a little Liquorice, Pine and some slight Cocoa. The way this beer looks and smells makes you want to drink it straight away, I haven't written about a beer that looks this good in the glass for a little while! On the palate, the first thing you get is Toffee and Liquorice, followed by a big Lemony Citrus kick, ending with some bitter Orange peel and Pine. The Lemon flavour carries through the entire time, tied in with some complex coffee and toffee undertone. This beer feels quite light in the mouth, is medium carbonated and ends quite dry. What a fantastic beer, one that I wish Stone would brew again! I'd recommend it if you can get hold of one now, but in a few months it may be worth passing up.

Jan 15, 2015
Beer-Revelry from Texas

4.4/5  rDev +12%

A - Pours a ridiculously dark burnt caramel and amber orange color. Forms a nice finger and a half of slightly tan foamy yet creamy head which persists through the drink. Whispy lacing left behind.
S - Crazy bouquet of aromas here. Hops, grapefruit, apples, pears, peaches, apricots, mangos, lemon, lime and a good amount of caramel and event brown sugar in the background. Extremely pleasant.
T - Medium sweet hops upfront which lend way, interestingly enough, to touches of lemon and lemon grass. Never tasted an IPA quite like this before.
O - A very good IPA. Definitely one of a kind in it's taste and a must try experience for fans of the style if you're able to get your hands on this offering.
V - Medium value, available in a 22oz bomber.

Jan 11, 2015
Barnoloid from Illinois

4.17/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Deep brown to caramel in color, this comes across as a heavily hopped brown ale with an IPA profile. Truly ramped up hops meet the solid malt backbone. Lots to enjoy here.

Jan 05, 2015
cmbeddoe7997 from Texas

4.71/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L: Dark Cloudy Good head retention

S: Heavy hop scent

T: Good hoppiness without overpowering it

F: Good amount of carbonation on the tongue. Thicker than most.

Jan 05, 2015
Falcon91Wolvrn03 from California

4.12/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Appearance – Pours a dark, but clear brownish amber color with a very nice head and good lacing.

Smell – Pine, malt, toffee, and a hint of lemon.

Taste – Malt, toffee, piney bitter hops and a hint of tea.

Mouthfeel – Bitter, but sweet, with no lingering bitter aftertaste. Full bodied, and nicely carbonated.

Drinkability – A like that this IPA is not over-hopped, but it still has a bitterness that Stone seems to like.

Jan 03, 2015
GPHarris from Alabama

4.04/5  rDev +2.8%

a - poured a two-fingers thick tan head into a snifter that left great lacing throughout. the body was brown but brighter than most browns would be.
s - fruity hops are the big thing here. the aroma is like melons and grapefruit.
t - fruity hops come through again with a little more toasty and chocolate aromas to balance it out.
m - smooth and creamy.
o - leave it to stone to do a wholly original anniversary beer. i liked it a lot.

Dec 19, 2014
NeroFiddled from Pennsylvania

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

Stone 18th Anniversary IPA
22 oz. brown glass bottle, Bottled on date is illegible (partially smeared off)

My first thought was that this is a "Brown IPA", a style that hasn't particularly appealed to me in the past.Then I feared that as a Stone beer it might be a little too much. I was pleasantly surprised, however, to find that it's quite smooth and rounded, which is something that Stone seems to be moving towards these days. Good for them!

Back to the "Brown IPA". This is what they've labeled a "Golden-Brown IPA", and that comes through. It's certainly brown in color, appearing a dark russet with orange and golden highlights beneath a frothy head of khaki foam, but it doesn't have all of the chocolate or softly roast flavors that a brown ale might have.

Stepping back, the aroma is quite wonderful, clearly due to the El Dorado hops. It displays a combination of fruit that's really hard to pinpoint at first. I felt I was smelling one fruit, but I eventually I found papaya, grapefruit, and watermelon (!?). It's a touch sweetish and floral as well. These all carry over into the flavor, and I'm quite sure that the restrained "brown" character of the malt is restrained so that the hops are able to shine.

The hops are much fuller in the flavor than they are in the aroma, and even more complex - all the while not stepping forward so that the beer seems very streamlined and focused (although there is much more citrus). If you weren't looking specifically for hop flavors they'd pass right by you. The malt then does more than just support the hop flavors, it blends with and balances them. It's toasty, and subtly chocolatey, but mainly caramelish; displaying mainly golden caramel, but a bit of darker caramel as well. In my opinion the caramel flavors help to accentuate the tropical melon and citrus flavors that the hops offer. With all of that said, it's a fairly focus flavor overall, remaining the same from start to finish with the exception of a little bit more pine and citrus appearing in the drying finish. The bitterness is restrained, particularly for a Stone beer, but that's also most likely been done to allow the hop flavors to shine. There's more than enough to balance it, but not so much that it becomes harsh.

Finally, the carbonation is restrained as well, leaving it smooth and creamy across the palate, accentuating the maltiness and allowing the hops to come through without interference of carbonic acid or increased perceived bitterness.

Overall this is a really remarkable beer that shows a deft hand in brewing. Whoever formulated this should be congratulated as I'm sure they won't receive accolades from the public - it'll just fall blindly into the cracks of ignorance.

Dec 16, 2014
fps_dean from Massachusetts

2.62/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a solid brown color with a little head that mostly dissipates rather quickly and leaves solid lacing on my glass.

Smells of indistinct, fruity hop and malts.

Tastes of very strong fruity and citrusy hops and very strong malts. Grapefruit is a rather distinct flavor, as is caramel and molasses. Rather poor mix of hops an malts and poor use of malts in this. Does not taste very well.

It is quite thick, but does go down fairly smoothly, especially considering how thick it is.

Overall, it's worth a shot as a limited edition Stone brew but I did not like this one. Both a poor balance of hops and malts, and terrible use of each. This would be the first beer from Stone that I straight up did not like and had a hard time finishing, and I've had quite a few too.

Dec 16, 2014
wolverine0712 from Missouri

4.77/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorite beers from the brewery; it appears to be something they perfected over the last 18 years. The combination of smell and taste set up a good finish. I recommend tracking down this beer. Full review: http://www.examiner.com/review/beer-review-stone-18th-anniversary-ipa

andrewjraab from Michigan

Overall, a very solid DIPA / brown IPA. Burn orange / brown color with Stone signature lacing. Big citrus flavor, hop forward, malty. Hits all the marks for a really solid DIPA with some malt back bone.

Fatehunter from Oregon

3.7/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours two fingers of head on a light brown body.
The aroma is caramel, pine, lemon and candy. Wonderful blend.
The taste is a lot of things at once and not always in step. Slightly nutty and sweet at first, big pine bitter in the middle and finishes with a mild sweet and bitter note.
The texture is quite smooth.
It smells amazing and looks great, the taste is not quite to my liking though.

SPLITGRIN from Kentucky

3.76/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Ok, Let me just say that I have been a fan of stone for nearly 15 years. They were one of the first breweries that made me really fall in love with craft beer. I do feel however that in recent years they have pushed some beers onto the shelf that were a little to experimental or out there. In this case a golden brown IPA is not that weird but doesn't sound quite right either. So lets see.

Body is as expected, Golden to copper brown in color. It hosts a full and thick two finger rocky head. Head is a warm tan in color and sticks around for a good while. Swiss cheese like lace is left behind.

Nose is very nice with some spicy tones. Definitely grassy and noticeable green tea like feel to the smell. A hint of sassafras plays as well.

Enters the mouth oddly sharp with distinct dry bitter bite. This dryness battles a prominent fresh tea leaf feel on the palate. The mixture almost comes off like a raw odd vegetable like taste that sticks around on the back of the tongue. This is not what I am really looking for in an IPA.

I strongly think the best things this brew has going for it is the look and smell.

Dec 03, 2014
SHODriver from North Carolina

A: poured into a tulip to a medium shade of brown with a two finger dense off white head tha retains well and leaves good lacing. The beer is a little cloudy and light struggles to make it through
S: smells is resinous hops with some citrus, tropical fruit and pine with just a touch of toasted malt and some sweetness
T: taste is somewhat muted at first but comes on hard after a little with some bitter pine, citrus rind, and hints of tropical fruit. slight toasted malt and a little caramel sweetness are trying to come through and provide some balance. swallow is a little roasty with a long oily and resinous pine oil and tropical fruit
M: surprisingly heavy on the palate but it isn't excessive. carbonation is adequate and slightly prickly. this beer has a nice smoothness to it and the finish is oily hops which keeps things from drying out
O: Another great beer from Stone. Plenty of delicious hop flavors with some brown ale qualities to mix things up. Definitely heavily hopped and the malt struggles to balance things out but that's Stone...

Dec 03, 2014
REVZEB from Illinois

3.69/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Weird combination of juicy fruit like sweet fruits and extremely bitter hops in a matrix of brown ale malts and yeast. Smell is actually complex and pretty nice, with all parties getting along. The taste is not as amiable, in fact it is bordering on astringent. Tone down some elements and this really could be fun

Nov 26, 2014