Stone 5th Anniversary IPA | Stone Brewing

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Bierman9 on 12-20-2001

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.95/5  rDev -8.6%

Bottle-conditioned, cloudy amber. More head than basically any Stone I’ve encountered. A living proof of the sillyness of some top microbreweries to stop bottle-conditioning their double IPAs... Huge fruity aroma explodes with orange and citrusy flavors, dried apricots. Big malt bill here, almost vinous and slightly earthy. Taste displays a more pleasant than usual for the type citric acidity. It indeed IS vinous, and quite tart at that. Pineapple, grapefruit and melon flavors. Soft yet powerful hop profile marries the sweet malt with class. Long aftertaste has a pleasant alcohol backbone in it. In terms of mouthfeel, I assume it has lost some, but the carbonation is still more than adequate while the body remains medium in size. Big thanks to Skyhand for this rarity.

4.8/5  rDev +11.1%

Lovingly savored at the 7/24/04 Richmond gathering. Monstrous thanks to the Innsbrook Capital Ale House for donating this 2001 classic to the group.

Appearance:My pint glass had a burned orange-colored color and a thin layer of off-white head. Quality lacing of the glass with distinct sticky rings.

Smell: I've gotta wonder what this must have been like when it was new. Hefty doses of citrus and resinous pine cone oils were surprisingly balanced by a sweet and malty caramel aroma. Not the expected kick in the nose hop aroma I'd expected.

Taste: Stupendous. The multiple years of aging this beast has brought the flavor in line nicely. Don't get me wrong. This is a bitter beer. But in a joyfully smooth way. Up front inital sweetness was quickly cast aside by a cascade of hoppy chunks. Finish was dry and long-lasting, with a twinge of honey mixed in with the resinous oils of hop left on your palate.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Medium-full body with almost perfect carbonation. Stupidly drinkable. I'm very lucky to have been able to try this wonderful brew from the gang at Stone.

3.45/5  rDev -20.1%

Pours with a regular white head over finely carbonated orange/golden liquid that has a slight haze to it. Nose is ...hops!! First taste is a massive hoppiness with an undercurrent of malt backbone & a late citrus tanginess that continues into the finish. I'm just a bit underwhelmed after drinking this, I expected a bit more. But I have to add...for a high-octane brew the alcohol is hidden well.

3.6/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Originally sampled 19 June 2002.
This is a very good IPA, but Ruination & Stone's regular IPA are better, IMHO. The 5th Anniversary IPA has a beautiful Hoppy flavor. It's finish isn't as clean as their Ruination, but it has more of a full mouth finish. I certainly wouldn't pass this up, but I figure that Stone will come up w/ another great IPA at another anniversary in the future. Great beer.

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.8/5  rDev +11.1%

I had this beer on tap at Stone Brewing Days at the Stuffed Sandwich, 8-31-04, so the beer was aged 3 years. Served in a chalice-like Leffe glass. The beer had a thin and continuous head on top. The color is a red to orange amber showing medium carbonation. The flavors are malty and sweet with a good hops balance. Also it is a bit roasty and oily. Excellent all around flavor and one of th best IPAs I've had. I don't know how it tasted when it was originally released, but on tap 3 years later it is excellent. It goes especially well with corn chowder and garlic bread (my lunch from that day).

4.7/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a terrific beer and quite a bit better than the regular Stone IPA. It's more complex, with hints of grapefuit and orange. It's hoppy but well-balance, and the malt flavor really makes its presence known. I'm heading back to my local store to pick up a few more.

4.63/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours a nice golden orange with a thick creamy head. Nice citrusy, hop oil aroma. The taste is full of hops but not in the sense that I thought. I expected to get my tastebuds singed off. It definitely has a strong citrusy hop flavor but there is a nice malt balance to it. Not a malt that is perceptible but the presence is detected just through the balance. As the beer warms the hops assert themselves a little stronger. The mouthfeel is crisp and extraordinarily smooth. The beer is very drinkable as well. This is one kick ass beer. Another must for hopheads.

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Bottle from the 2008 Stone Winter Storm

Appearance is clear orange/honey hue, thin layer of creamy bubbles dissipates to a ring, moderate lacing

Smell is pine and citrus hops, considerable malts, some sugary fruits and light spices

Taste is moderate pine hops with big malts stepping out, light syrupy fruits in the background, finishes oily and bitter, quite delicious

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, syrupy smooth texture, and smooth carbonation

Drinkability is high, the 5th has considerably more of a malt presence than the 4th, but both have aged extremely well with good balance and flavors, I look forward to trying this again at the next Storm

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

3.93/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

From the 4 pack of anniversary beers.

L: dark copper with nice carbonation and a white head that lingers.

S: nice floral smell.

T: Malty with light bitterness at the end. Slight hop flavor.

F: pretty smooth but a little dank. I like it more on the crisp end.

O: good ipa. Stone always delivers.

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Just what I needed as a hop fix to counter the malt-accentuated Okts I've been having lately. Big, wet, juicy, citrusy, apricoty hop aromas and flavors. Malts and alcohol keep them in check. Chewy mouthfeel. Great beer.

3.78/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.29/5  rDev -0.7%

Man, I was glad to see this one on the shelf. We don't get enough stone products out here in VA. Can't waitto dig in.
Pours a slightly hazy golden brown with a white 1/2 inch head.This is very malty for an IPA. Still nice and hoppy but the malt separates this brew from the pack. Caramel/alcohol in the smell with the hops taking a back seat suprisingly. Taste is very sweet for an IPA but the hops balance it out very nice. Excellent!! Very smooth and easy to drink while still letting you know this beer ain't no joke!! I tried regular stone IPA and I don't remember it tasting anything like this at all..it was hoppier (or were they just more noticable?) and less malty...can't decide which I like more, but this tastes more like a barleywine than an IPA. Great brew nonetheless

3.74/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to my friend Lloyd for breaking a 3 liter of this open at his retirement party(from the marines).

Believe it or not drabmuh there was some still floating around.

A-A few bubbles but no real head. Dark amber, brown like tea.

S-Malt bomb! Sweet just a touch of alcohol. Fruit, tropical fruits. Very nice nose like a weaker Old Guardian. Bready. Caramel.

T-malty, sweet, fruity no real hop character. I get some bitterness on the finish.

M-Light body almost thin mouthfeel. Surprisingly good carbonation for the lack of head.

D-more like a barleywine now not a sipper but not a chugger either. Pretty smooth and easydrinking.

I can't give this a higher score because although it held up amazingly well it's not really an IPA anymore it's a mild barleywine.

4.53/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.81/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.7/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had some of this a while ago and really enjoyed it. I just got ahold of some more and was able to examine it more closely. Beautiful copper orange color with some slight haze. The citrusy floral aroma hit me as I poured and formed a nice creamy head that did dissapate somewhat quickly. Was expecting a serious hop bite but was greeted by a well balanced floral and citrus flavor, definate grapefruit. I might be losing it but was also sensing a hint white raisin, call me crazy. This beer was no slouch in the hoppy bitterness department, but was not over the top. All in all, a great beer, I really liked it, get some if you still can. I'm sad that this will be Stone's last year for their anniversary beers.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last