Stone 5th Anniversary IPA | Stone Brewing

Added by Bierman9 on 12-20-2001

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 28 | Ratings: 38
4.29/5  rDev -0.5%

Man, I was glad to see this one on the shelf. We don't get enough stone products out here in VA. Can't waitto dig in.
Pours a slightly hazy golden brown with a white 1/2 inch head.This is very malty for an IPA. Still nice and hoppy but the malt separates this brew from the pack. Caramel/alcohol in the smell with the hops taking a back seat suprisingly. Taste is very sweet for an IPA but the hops balance it out very nice. Excellent!! Very smooth and easy to drink while still letting you know this beer ain't no joke!! I tried regular stone IPA and I don't remember it tasting anything like this at all..it was hoppier (or were they just more noticable?) and less malty...can't decide which I like more, but this tastes more like a barleywine than an IPA. Great brew nonetheless

3.74/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to my friend Lloyd for breaking a 3 liter of this open at his retirement party(from the marines).

Believe it or not drabmuh there was some still floating around.

A-A few bubbles but no real head. Dark amber, brown like tea.

S-Malt bomb! Sweet just a touch of alcohol. Fruit, tropical fruits. Very nice nose like a weaker Old Guardian. Bready. Caramel.

T-malty, sweet, fruity no real hop character. I get some bitterness on the finish.

M-Light body almost thin mouthfeel. Surprisingly good carbonation for the lack of head.

D-more like a barleywine now not a sipper but not a chugger either. Pretty smooth and easydrinking.

I can't give this a higher score because although it held up amazingly well it's not really an IPA anymore it's a mild barleywine.

4.7/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had some of this a while ago and really enjoyed it. I just got ahold of some more and was able to examine it more closely. Beautiful copper orange color with some slight haze. The citrusy floral aroma hit me as I poured and formed a nice creamy head that did dissapate somewhat quickly. Was expecting a serious hop bite but was greeted by a well balanced floral and citrus flavor, definate grapefruit. I might be losing it but was also sensing a hint white raisin, call me crazy. This beer was no slouch in the hoppy bitterness department, but was not over the top. All in all, a great beer, I really liked it, get some if you still can. I'm sad that this will be Stone's last year for their anniversary beers.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last