Stone 8th Anniversary Ale | Stone Brewing

Style: American Brown Ale

Added by xlperro on 08-10-2004

Reviews: 231 | Ratings: 264
2.37/5  rDev -40.6%

Picked up by my beerbuddy FormatKid, along with a few other goodies.

Poured a deep copper brown color. Absolutely gorgeous. Tan head formed, but didn't stick around long at all. Dammit!

The aroma is raisiny caramel. Reminds me of a homebrewed barleywine of mine where I used just a bit much Special B. Hops are very assertive, with a raw grassy aroma. Alcohol makes it's presence known by driving the hops straight into your brain.

The taste is not good. The alcohol dominates the flavor. It is almost as if someone took a hoppy brown ale, poured it in a glass, and spiked it with a shot of vodka. I think the herbal flavor hops are driving me faster towards that decision. The malt is a touch dry, and this only exascerbates the problem. It is raisiny/pruney in nature, and just kinda turns the tongue off as soon as it hits. This is a huge disappointment for me, but hey, I can't like every beer, right?

Mouthfeel is just a touch too dry and astringent. Again, the malt and hops are accentuating this in the worst possible way.

As a result of the taste and mouthfeel, I have to give this one low marks for drinkability. It's going to be a real struggle to finish this one. It's a damn shame, because I really love the other Stone brews I've had, and was really looking forward to this beer, but it just simply does not agree with my tastebuds. :-/

Stone 8th Anniversary Ale from Stone Brewing