Chia-Spices Imperial Russian Stout | Stone Brewing

Liked:
4.05/5
Alströms:

3.43/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

4.67/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Look: Black. So so black. Some carbonation and about a finger knuckle length of head that slowly dissipates. Looks like coffee out of a nespresso machine.

Smell: Where do I begin? Pumpkin, raisin and a bit of molasses. I would have been happy just smelling this all day. It's unbelievable.

Taste: Now the best part. Milky full. This is a think beer and sweet. Good for dessert. You can really taste the chai at the front and center. Back half has a hint of black pepper and very small butter coffee taste. Stone has hidden the high Abv well. I couldn't taste the booze at all. This is dangerous.

Feel: Thick and milky feeling. Exactly what you want from a Russian Imperial Stout.

Overall: Boom done! What a find. I had no idea the sheer magnitude of this beast. Amazing beer and will look for it now when it's out again. I drank a bottle with the stamp of 2/25/15 on it. Blew my taste balls off. This is what I'm looking for in a Russian Imperial Stout. Only $9 at some hole in the wall liquor store. They have no idea what they have on hand.

3.84/5  rDev -5.2%

3.69/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The Chia spices really overpower this version of the Imperial Russian Stout. It is a little too off putting for me, but I'm not a Chia tea drinker either. If you do enjoy Chia, then this will be very enjoyable.

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

3.98/5  rDev -1.7%

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Now.....this beer is not sessionable....way to much going on and big abv. However....this bottle is definitely worth sharing with your friends. There is no way I could drink more that 4-6oz of this one at a sitting. It really is amazing how Stone creates all these different beer flavors. This one poured an opaque black with no head and no lace. The scent had a lot going on....I most sensed cinnamon, pumpkin and raison. There was also a lot going on with the taste....for me it had a spice…possibly from black pepper, cinnamon, pumpkin and dark fruit (plum/raisin). The mouthfeel was fuller in body with smooth carbonation. Overall it was great....but for me only in small doses.

3.92/5  rDev -3.2%