Mocha IPA

Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Mocha IPAMocha IPA
Notes: Clearly, style lines have been crossed. Is it half-IPA, half-stout? Not quite. It’s definitely all IPA, but it’s also the best of both styles, making this love child of a beer simply just a beautiful, pleasure-seeking meld of imperial IPA and mocha indulgence. How did we come up with this inexplicably delicious creation? Well, that doesn’t really matter. What matters is that it exists and that it’s here for you now, thanks to our deliberate disregard for brewing norms. Some things are not meant to be known, just enjoyed...thoroughly.
Reviews: 239 | Ratings: 836 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by BenwayPHD:
BenwayPHD from California

4.55/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a beautiful light brown, almost amber color. It's very clear and has a thick, foamy off white head. The nose is fantastic. It's beautiful. It's unique. The coffee, chocolate, and hops are perfectly balanced. Toffee, coffee, citrus, earthy hops, lemon, soy, orange, chocolate. The flavor is quite a journey. Upfront you get sweetness, which slowly transitions into the robust flavors of coffee and chocolate. It ends with that hop character and ends slightly sweet. The mouthfeel is thick, and creamy, and life changing.

Jun 20, 2016
micada from New York

1.19/5  rDev -70.8%

Yuck. A bunch of flavors you never want to put together. It's kind of like saying "Oh! Let's put chocolate on steak." Chocolate's good. Steak is good. Chocolate steak makes me want to puke. Kind of like this brew.

Aug 29, 2016
Fear4Beer from Pennsylvania

4.29/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

EDIT: The review written below the "+++++" symbols was my old review (written on 7/23/16). I just tried this beer on 12/23/16 (5 months after my first review) and HOLY CRAP! It's a completely different beer when it ages. The pine taste is almost completely gone, I instead taste a lot of grapefruit and the Cacao and coffee beans. Dare I say this.... this beer went from "No" to "I think I really like this!". Age this beer, you're welcome. I've drank a lot of different beers over the year and this is one of few beers that went from low score to high due to aging. The IBU's lowered a ton too. It's not nearly as bitter as it once was. Someone age this beer and send me a message. Please tell me I'm not going crazy. This beer tastes 10x better when aged. My beer says it was originally bottled on 6/13/16. So the beer is a little over 6 months old from the bottled date. That should give you an idea for how long you can age it to have it taste this good. I still have two more left. I'll try aging them for longer just to see if there's much of a difference. This beer came out in 6/16 (June 2016) so it seems I'm the first person to ever to age this beer. This might be a world class beer when aged. It is that good. I might be going crazy though. lol. When I age a beer I simply put it in my basement, not inside of a fridge. Beer ages faster when in cool but not cold temperatures. Basement temperatures work quite well.

+++++++
I'm just not a fan of most IPA beers. I just don't get it. I don't drink them and think: "Wow, this tastes really good!". I'm not sure who does to be honest with you. This beer is a perfect example of that conundrum. Here you have a beer that is so bitter, has so much pine in it, that you are intrigued by the thought of it (IPA with stout like qualities) but it is not pleasant to me. Will a lot of you enjoy this? Probably. I think a beer to compare this to is Ten FIDY by Oskar Blues. It is a less intense version of that IMO. Didn't like that beer either but to each their own. An intriguing tidbit about Ten Fidy, I bought a 4 pack for $15 just on the reviews on Beeradvocate. Tried it, and hated it. I put it in my beer cooler for two years and the beer aged into a completely different beer. So much less bitter and piney. It was palatable! I'll probably do the same thing with this beer. I'll age it for 2 years and try it when the pine and bitterness is gone.
Original score:
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Dec 24, 2016
teromous from Virginia

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

Yellow writing on the neck of the bottle says: "Bottled 05/14/16 Enjoy By 09/11/16"

Appearance: It is slightly hazy in appearance. I can see through it but I can only see where light shows directly through the glass. The edges of the glass give a peripheral blur. The color is a deep bronze orange color with a lot of red and brown mixed in. The head lasts a long time and leaves good lacing. It is an eggshell white color with a creamy appearance.

Aroma: It smells like wet coffee grounds. I got some really strong garlic aromatics when I first poured the glass but it fades pretty quickly. The beer also has this ancho chile earthiness to it. The beer says it is made with cacao and I don't pick that up on the nose...at least not in the form of chocolate.

Taste: Right up front the coffee comes in. I am picking up some chocolate flavor mid-sip and in the finished product. That chocolate flavor tends to come in and out. The aftertaste is very complex; there is a bit of a low-bitterness hop flavor that reminds me of spruce and a ton of cedar. The finish is like chewing a pencil. It has some good flavors but it just feels like they aren't working harmoniously.

Mouthfeel: Moderate hop bitterness that seems to cleverly account for both the bitterness in the chocolate and the coffee. That balance is absolutely perfect. Whoever worked out the ratios on that was a mastermind.

Overall: So coffee and chocolate is nothing new, most likely because they work so well together. You don't see them in an IPA everyday. This beer does a fantastic job of incorporating all of these ingredients into a beer without making a mess. Unfortunately it tastes like somebody took a well made IPA and mixed it with a well made coffee/chocolate beer. There is no doubt that they both taste good but I just don't feel like the IPA added anything to the beer (or vice versa). There really isn't anything bad to say about this beer from a technical standpoint...they set out to make a mocha IPA and nailed it...but personally I would rather just have an IPA or a coffee/chocolate beer that is a stout or porter. It really isn't something I would buy again but I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to try something new, especially if you enjoy coffee, at least once.

Jun 21, 2016
doktorhops from Australia

4.42/5  rDev +8.3%

Best of both worlds or total disaster? I want you to do me a favour: Go out and buy this beer. Don’t question me! Do it! When you get home BEFORE you crack open the bottle and pour that delightful amber fluid into a glass I want you to open your Spotify/iTunes/Google Play/Whatever and cue up a little old [ahem: new] ditty by a band called The Killers, track name “The Man”. Once the track is cued and those speakers are turned up as far as you can without waking up your neighbours you’re ready to crack open Stone Mocha IPA and pour it into your favourite beer glass. Press “play” and begin by inhaling that intoxicating oxymoron of an aroma... take your first sip. That’s right: You’re The Man. The Stone Mocha IPA Man.

Poured from a 355ml bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Hazed copper-amber body with a tasty big 2 centimetre off-white head that leaves sci-fi landscape lacing on the side of the glass as it recedes. Great head retention for a 9% ABV, this brew looks almost completely innocuous... it begins! [said in my best Barney Gumble voice]. 8/10.

S: This is a beer where I thought “No way is that going to work - coffee and IPA hops? Nope, not going to go down well at all”. Well in this case I am more than happy to be proven wrong - Sharp herbal resin/cannabis hops, roasted coffee bean with a touch of cold drip coffee and a hint of cacao nibs, MWA! *Italian kissing of fingertips sign* Stone definitely struck on something with these overly earthy aromas - it’s reminiscent of a Red IPA, but it’s got a little sumptin-sumptin going on. 9/10.

T: It’s just like Ruination and Xocoveza had a child! Though before you get too excited - this is the lesser sum of one parent, and that parent is Xocoveza, the flavour never quite reaches the glory of Xocoveza (yes, I love Xocoveza). Profile is: Roasted coffee bean upfront, mid-palate piney/resin/cannabis hops, hint of citrus, leading to an earthy/bitter cacao nib finish - which has a fairly restrained medium bitterness. The character of this brew is intriguing and warrants multiple sips. 9/10.

M: Medium bodied, reasonable amount of carbonation... almost a little too much, with a slight creaminess (more creaminess would be ideal). 8/10.

D: Damn tasty, damn easy-drinking for 9% ABV, and damn (damn)! This brew really put me in my place - I’ve long scoffed at coffee IPAs, now I have seen the stony light, and it is goo-od. *presses play again on The Killers The Man* 9/10.

Food match: Cigars and spicy Thai cuisine unite!

Aug 08, 2017
BEERchitect from Kentucky

4.04/5  rDev -1%

They say that curiosity kills the cat, but can it kill the brewer? There's no question that the quest for uniqueness has infiltrated not only the small brewer trying to become recognized but also the accomplished brewer who strive to remain relevant even at the risk of desperation.

Stone's Mocha IPA is one of those experiments that straddle all of those fences as its bright golden globe crowns with a creamy white froth. Its scent leads with freshly roasted coffee beans followed with cocoa and then floral, citrusy and an herbal hop complement. Its taste supple of caramel and soft honey with a complement of toasted breadiness as the early palate ensues.

As the sweetness drifts and the expected hop flavors billow, they quickly learn to share the stage with the equally domineering coffee and cocoa character that meet the hop's intensity. Trending bitter, earthy and herbal, the juxtaposition of all-things-hops and all-things-roast battle for attention as the ale trends dry, crisp and bitter.

Its waning moments slowly watch the earthen cocoa and coffee fade as the piney and grassy hops slowly take command; challenging the medium-bodied, semi-dry ale to become an IPA in the end. Light spicy warmth enlivens the hops and work to tighten the bitterness, herb and pine flavors into a long, bitter aftertaste with echoes of coffee and cocoa swooning afterwards.

Jun 05, 2016
patre_tim from Thailand

4.09/5  rDev +0.2%

Deep copper with no carbonation, almost an orange tinge, and a finger of yellowish head.

Smells of coffee notes and a green herbal quality, almost like green poplar twigs. Piney, citrus notes are in there as well.

Coffee, then some big herbal notes, and pine, and citrus candy. Only a hint of caramel.

Light, very dry body. Amazingly well hidden alcohol. Feels like a session ale! You do get the burn however in the back of the throat.

Really unique brew. My mind is taken in so many directions, but overall, its unique and I like it. Got on wishbeer, drank Aug 8th, 2016.

Aug 08, 2016
SmashAdams from New Jersey

A pretty odd beer. Coffee in anything but a stout just seems odd to me. The flavors blend well enough together but the IPA is overshadowed by the coffee flavor. The coffee flavor reminds me of weird Italian cookies and comes off a bit artificial. nb

Jun 11, 2016
jhartley from Florida

3.83/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle; bottled on 05/27/15, enjoy by 09/24/15.

Reddish amber body with a 1/2 finger's worth of head.No lacing.

Plenty of piney hops, light roasted coffee and a little hint of chocolate.

First sip out of the fridge is a ton of hops with a little amount of bitter coffee. As it warms up the hops mellow out and the coffee and cacao dominates. Nice sweetness on the end.

Light mouth feel with a decent dry finish.

Overall, a very enjoyable IPA concoction. Citrus, coffee and cacao nibs; who would have thought that would be a good combination? Not me...But it's delicious!

Jun 21, 2016
Red5StandingBy from Maryland

4.49/5  rDev +10%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

Poured from 12oz bottle into Snifter. No date.

L: Honey colored with minimal head. Upon swirl a half finger appears but recedes after a few moments.

S: Coffee, some cacao, then citrusy hops.

T: Some light roasted coffee with chocolate from the cacao, citrus hops in grapefruit and orange zest form. Lactose and vanilla at the end. What a freakishly weird flavor. But tasty!

F: Medium body, crisp, hop residuals and lactose linger on the tongue. Semi-dry.

O: Not another beer out there like this one. Superbly done.

Jun 20, 2017
garymuchow from Minnesota

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

This definitely drinks smaller than a DIPA as advertised in both size of feel and hopping (both flavor and bitterness). I'm actually surprised how subtle the hopping is in my bottles (bottled on date of either 6/13 or 8/13). Nice coffee aroma and there is a mix of hop flavors leaning towards the grassy type and a hint of citrus.
Head settles down quickly. Nice orange/red amber color that's slightly cloudy.
Good coffee flavor with a strong caramel sweetness wrapped in it. I think there is also some sweetness or fruit from the hops too. This is similar to my buddy's coffee vienna lager, but there is more with the heavier feel with some sticky hop quality. Also the blending of the hop flavors are nice. Never overpowering.
It's a little hard to categorize this beer overall, but it is interesting and flavorful.

Sep 16, 2016
ChainGangGuy from Georgia

3.27/5  rDev -19.9%

12 ounce bottle - $3.49 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a deep, copper-toned body with a medium-sized, off-white head.

Smell: An aroma smelling of pale malts, ground coffee, green herbs, some citrus and some chocolate.

Taste: Heavy pale malt maltiness given a sweet kiss of sugar and chocolate. Moderate coffee tones. Robust resinously piney, citrusy hops with a firm herbaceous backing. Medium-plus bitterness. The alcohol while, not overbearing, is certainly noticeable. Bitter, drying and roasty on the end, the bitterness and acidity make for a hard, grimacing swallow.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium carbonation.

Overall: What can I say, some of these coffee IPA's work for me, some don't. This didn't.

Jul 17, 2016
Brad007 from Vermont

4.26/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a beautiful golden amber hue with a delicate head into my glass. I'm a fan of coffee IPAs and naturally had to try this.

Roasted coffee in the nose but not much else.

Tastes like 1 part rocket fuel coffee, 1 part sick fucking double IPA. Rocket Fuel.

Burns at the back of the throat but leaves you mellow as fuck. Goes nicely with my cheeba of choice.

Fuck, I should have bought a 6 pack. Arghhh! I'll have to pick up another bottle tomorrow!

Aug 06, 2016
Jimmys from Pennsylvania

3.59/5  rDev -12%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle. bottled on 05/15/16.

This is a beer that is loaded with coffee and has a slightly weird hoppy lingering flavor and bitterness in the finish. I love the idea and really wish this worked out better as a marriage between the two, but this is all coffee in my opinion. Can definitely feel the booze as well, but drinks more like a full-bodied american ale with loads of coffee added cold side than a DIPA with coffee added. Maybe I am not analyzing this enough or perhaps Stone analyzed it too much and wasted valuable hops in this coffee bomb. Either way, this was one expensive 6-pack at $18 and I would have been alright with just getting 1 bottle.

Jul 19, 2016
Sparky44 from Illinois

4.18/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Aug 05, 2016
Stevedore from Oregon

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

12oz bottle. Served in a snifter glass.

Pours a dark copper body, clear with a one finger white head, lots of lacing and appropriate amounts of retention. Smells of rich cocoa and caramel, bright citrus and pine resin. A big and impressive nose. Flavour is more hoppy resinous, citrus hop aroma with mild cocoa bitterness, touch of milk chocolate to go along with the caramel and hop aromatics. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, crisp and moderately carbonated with a big resinous bitter bite on the backend. An overall good coffee IPA; really reminds me of Dayman. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what the recipe was based on.

Jun 25, 2016
Cpmitchno1 from Virginia

3.54/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Jun 06, 2016
GRG1313 from California

Sep 30, 2016
cwreay90 from Texas

4.07/5  rDev -0.2%

Aug 13, 2016
gamblebc from Georgia

4.12/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Jul 04, 2016
BoilerUpNavy from Wisconsin

4.19/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

(Less than 2 months old) In order of presidence in aroma and flavor: chocolate, then hops and minimal coffee. Overall all are balanced well. It is what it is: an imperial IPA with cocoa and coffee. Enjoyable. Well done, Stone.

Sep 02, 2016

4.02/5  rDev -1.5%

Aug 12, 2016
bpfrush from Wisconsin

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Aug 19, 2016