Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Stone RuinTen Triple IPA - Orange Peel & Vanilla Bean | Stone Brewing

Stone RuinTen Triple IPA - Orange Peel & Vanilla BeanStone RuinTen Triple IPA - Orange Peel & Vanilla Bean
3.92/5
Very Good

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

This version of Stone RuinTen Triple IPA imagines orange peel and vanilla bean being caught moshing with this hardcore hop legend. Its original inspiration starts back with our decision to take the 2002 release of Stone Ruination IPA and make it into a much bigger and even hoppier monstrosity in 2012 for its 10th anniversary. With this change, our mega-hopped double went triple IPA. Soon after its release, the nickname "RuinTen" began to circulate and stuck. No sooner did we sell out of the special release that you guys began to loudly clamor for more of this veritable hop behemoth, and from that noise the annual RuinTen release was born. Totally being ones to mess with a good thing, we decided to introduce two new ingredients to produce this modern-day, frenzied mosh pit of hops: orange peel and vanilla bean. The result is a melee of flavor. Dive in, or watch from the seats. Your Call. You'll find us in the pit.

Added by StoneBrewingCo on 06-17-2016

4.52/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.92/5  rDev 0%

It’s edging closer to #950, and the beers are getting bigger and better, this time it’s a heavyweight brew in the craft beerosphere: Stone RuinTen Triple IPA - Orange Peel & Vanilla Bean. This 10.8% ABV Triple IPA is a triple threat with orange peel, vanilla bean, and of course a blindingly great hop bill with Magnum, Centennial and Citra® hops. Best of three worlds, or the best of all? Usually with Stone it is the latter, however this one has a June 8 2017 bottle date and is way past the “best by” for any hops, so the *hop fade* alert must be sounded [which sounds a bit like a klaxon being drowned in beer]. That said even the beers that I’ve had from Stone that were sorely out of date “shelf turds” have been pretty bitchen, and the addition of orange peel should provide a citrus boost to where the hops once were *fingers crossed*.

Poured from a 650ml US Bomber sized bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Wow, nice hazed deep orange/amber body with a thin beige head that slowly descends leaving behind splotchy lace pockets. The colour of this brew is an ominous orange, like a warning for sailors to turn back or risk ending up in Davy Jones locker (which is apparently large and watery). 8/10.

S: A highly viscous aroma, it’s like some sort of orange honey, with a peppery background note and a touch of green hop cones rounding out an impressive and foreboding Triple IPA. This is Stone doing their thing - repeatedly punching you in the face with delicious beer. Stone... Stop that Stone. No noticeable vanilla bean in the aroma is a minor disappointment. 9/10.

T: Flavour comes on strong, and slightly hot (alcohol-wise), which is no doubt due to the date on this bottle. Flavours of oranges (peel and all) with a piney, almost bubble-gum character, peppery mid, dry cracker malt, hints of pineapple, and a sweet schnapps finish. The flavour is a little bit all over the shop - which is unusual for Stone who usually craft exceptionally well-balanced beers. Still this is a 10.8% Triple IPA I have to keep reminding myself as I chow down on 5.54 standard drinks. 7/10.

M: Mid to heavy, fairly viscous bodied, with an almost flat but dense carbonation. 8/10.

D: Didn’t get the vanilla bean at all, I think it kinda got drowned out in a cacophony of flavours, but aside from that, and the flavour balance, this was a brew that I would try again (if I could get it fresh). Stone still indeed rock. 8/10.

Food match: Tough match, this beer is a bit of a meal in itself - maybe Thai food.

I waited a year for this beer. Totally worth it.

3.59/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

10/13/17 bottle

2.78/5  rDev -29.1%

3.88/5  rDev -1%

I bought this by mistake. I had intended to buy two bombers of tangerine express and got one of these instead. The orange peel is spot on but I could do without the vanilla. It doesn't taste like a 10% beer. It is very good nonetheless.

4.14/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours orange amber with a short-lived memory foam head. Aroma is orange peel, but not overly citrusy. This surprises me. Taste is quite complex, lots of orange up front, but plenty of swamp and malt. I don't get the vanilla, but I bet it is there smoothing out this crazy cross-section of flavors. Mouthfeel is smooth and thick, but with a crisp finish, very nice. Solid brew. I'm not sure it is $9 dollars good, but I don't feel like I wasted my money either.

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.79/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle poured into a Stone IPA glass

A: Pours deep golden orange amber with a frothy light tan head that settles to a light layer and leaves some spotty lacing.

S: Definitely getting the orange peel and vanilla, hops bring another wave of citrus, pine, some tropical fruit, melon, slightly toasty biscuity malt, and caramel sweetness.

T: Orange peel jumps right out, followed by a wall of hops with the vanilla bean showing up somewhere in the middle, pine, more citrus, grapefruit, lemon, orange, some tropical notes, passion fruit, melon, and over ripe stone fruit, slightly toasty biscuity bready malt, and caramel sweetness (that the vanilla helps accentuate), plus a little alcohol, especially as it warms.

M: Full body, moderate carbonation, a little alcohol warmth.

O: I dig the orange peel, but I don't think the vanilla was really necessary. It just sorta muddies up the flavors a bit. Not sure if they were going for an orange dreamsicle kinda thing, but I can't say I'm all that big on this one.

3.79/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.53/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

3.49/5  rDev -11%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy dark orange pour with a white one-finger head. Aroma of orange and caramel. Taste is very bitter upfront with a strong citrus flavor…lots of orange peel and grapefruit. Can also taste a good bit of orange juice, caramel, and pine. Vanilla bean is lost for meMedium to full bodied with a slick mouthfeel and just a hint of alcohol warmth on the back of the throat.

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.1/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.63/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.97/5  rDev +1.3%

Stone Brewing "RuinTen Triple IPA - Orange Peel & Vanilla Bean"
22 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, "BOTTLED ON 05/26/17"
$5.89 @ Pletcher's Beer Distributor, State College, PA

Notes via stream of consciousness: Another slightly old Stone beer that I was able to get in Central PA for a pittance of what I would have paid in Philadelphia. I'm not sure how that works except for price gouging. How could this be sold for $5.89 in central PA when I've seen it for $8+ here? That's an extra 35% mark up. Anyway, the vanilla and orange are definitely in the nose - I jumped the gun and tasted it before I gave the visuals. It's like an orange creamsicle, and honestly, I don't know how I feel about that personally. Back to the appearance, it's a hazy orange with golden highlights at the base of the glass, and a finger thick head of creamy off-white above. The head retention is good and the lacing seems even better. The flavor also delivers the orange and vanilla, and it's sweetish in the malt but there's also a solid bitterness and some citrusy and piney hops going on - although I can't tell what's what with the citrusy hops and the orange peel going on at the same time. Ahh haa, some alcohol peeks in at the end as well! It's not bad, but it's there. It's not as bitter in the finish as I thought it'd be though, which is great because I think that would have derailed it. In the end I think this is remarkably well balanced for what it is. Medium-full in body and gently crisp. I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I like the vanilla and orange, and I have to question whether or not it would make a good dessert beer because it's so strong as well. I think you could use it as an ingredient, or pair it with something, or even do small glasses of it as a group after dinner, but I don't really see it as a dessert beer in and of itself. Nor do I personally find it to be a beer that I would just sit down with. Ahhhh... maybe I'm wrong about that. On a cool night under the stars this might be just the thing, one strong sweetish-and-tropical beer and then off to bed. I don't know, but at least in this case I can just rate it based on its parts and let the numbers lie where they fall.

4.01/5  rDev +2.3%

22oz bomber bottled early June
Hazy orange-amber with a 1/4" off white head that falls out quickly to a swirl pattern.
Big candy, caramel sweet malts. Mild citrus aroma, orange blossom. Smells very good but different from what I expected.
Full body, slick mouth-feel. Not super hot, just a little alcohol prickliness....late heat.
Long, sweet malty finish but not cloying. Citrus fruit but can't find the vanilla in the flavor as readily as I expected to begin with. More orange/vanilla character as it warms.
HUGE 3IPA, very good and very happy to have tried it.

4.08/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 4

3.55/5  rDev -9.4%

Picked up a bomber from TW Arrowhead 7-2-17 for $7.99. Bottled on 6-5-17, best by 9-3-17.

Beer poured orangish-brown with a nice white head that has some hang time.

Nose is orange forward and not much else.

Taste is orange cream sickle forward over a ginormous malt base. Finish is bitter orange peel.

Mouthfeel is full, smooth, and satisfying.

Overall this beer is a disappointing variation. I know a lot of folks like the fruit and vanilla thrown in as variants - a touch is okay but in this case it overwhelms the base beer which was wonderful and knocked my socks off when first had.

Stone RuinTen Triple IPA - Orange Peel & Vanilla Bean from Stone Brewing