Stone 9th Anniversary Ale | Stone Brewing

stonebrewing.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Added by Jason on 08-29-2005

3.96/5  rDev +3.4%

I have been blessed two days in a row, yesterday I drank Delirium Nocturnum and today I am drinking Stone 9th. The beer looks extremely good as it sits in my glass. It pours a dark straw gold with a beautiful creamy white cascading head. Excellent lacing, color and head retention combine in this beer to give it a very appetizing appearance.

The nose of this beer speaks of floral hops. There is also a sweet malt presence detectable behind the forefront floral aroma. Would like a little more from the aroma its good but I think that something more complex could have been achieved. As the beer warms alcohol becomes more apparent.

The taste of this beer is unique. I really do like it. The first thing to hit my tongue is the hops, a boquet of floral tastes first hit my tongue and continue to linger into the aftertaste. What makes this beer interesting is that there is a very noticable sweet malt taste(caramel) that hits the front of the tongue after the inital floral hop taste. It lingers for a moment and nicely balances the previous and still present floral taste before quitely slipping away just as suddely as it appeared. Again I think something more complex could would benefit this brew. Alcohol is somewhat evident in the taste. I definitely prefer Arrogant Bastard over this when it comes to strong ales.

9th Anniversary is a medium bodied creamy beer in the mouth and feels real good. This is a beer I would definitely drink more of, however this is the only bottle I have and it being a limeted edition release that would not be possible. Its too bad really this is quite a good beer. I feel though that as I keep drinking this beer the hop taste that was somewhat aggressive to begin with is less and less aggressive with each sip. I think that the floral taste is easily wearing out my palate. Seems like with every sip it tastes different than the one before. I know that many beers flavor profiles change as the beer warms, however I have never had one change so much as this one. I think my palate is getting worn out from the hops. It makes it hard to determine the flavor profile of this beer. The high use of hops in this beer deteoriating my palate make this beer harder to drink than it should be. It feels like I am drinking a new beer each time I take a sip.

3.93/5  rDev +2.6%

A: Pours a nice dark golden hue with a big frothy white head.

S: Lots of hops in the nose, along with some alcohol and aromas of Belgian yeast

T: There's a nice amount of hops in the taste mixed with an interesting pepper flavor. The presence of a slight alcohol taste makes this one seem more potent than its ABV advertises.

M: The mouthfeel is nice and sticky with a nice warming effect. The carbonation is a little agressive.

D: A very nice beer overall, however not stellar. I'd prefer a Belgian strong, but this one is an unusual change.

3.45/5  rDev -9.9%

music : arch enemy - "doomsday machine"

bomber for $5.79, working in manhattan isn't so bad sometimes.. I still don't get why you can't sell Stone brew here in jersey...goddamn laws...

eyes...
slightly cloudy golden, ample carbonation, moderately sticky off white head, dissipates at a decent paste, nothing spectacular... nothing outwardly awfull

nose..
piney hops, citrus towards grapefruit.. yeah, amarillo hops, some of the alcohol is detectable if you really pry, not an explosively nice citrus smell like say 3Fs Gumballhead which is much more pleasant but this is nice enough, there is a slight dry moldy smell in there too, not sure how to mail the descrip on that aspect.. like the look it is not bad but not great.

taste etc..
the carbonation floats this one nicely across the bow of the mouth, some nice prickly sensation going on, not too bitter at all, but a nice little bitter after taste, there is a touch of cloying quality to this that makes me pucker on some sips... this takes away from the overall enjoyment. This isn't a hop monster but the ABV really does a courtsy in the stomach..I can feel that somnabitch warming my feet practically. Pretty light in the mouth and smooth, easy drinking.

verdict?
nothing special for a 9th anniv beer... not bad but nothing I will go out of my way to ge again

4.15/5  rDev +8.4%

After six months in the basement, I thought the brew was real good if not just right as it aged alittle.
It poured a nice orange, very little haze, with a one inch, frothy, off white head.
The aroma had alcohol notes with citric & tropical hop.
The taste carried that tropical, sweet grapefruit sweetness balanced well with a hop over citric finish.
The medium bodied beer left the mouth crisp and tangy.
I found thisone very drinkable. I liked it!

4.8/5  rDev +25.3%

Huge off-white/orange fluffy and rocky head. Good retention and lace. Translucent orange copper body. Low carbonation.
Smell of strong harsh malt and honey, grass and hops.
Very sweet and hoppy, well balanced. Grass, floral flavors, honey and some caramel, not much change in the aftertaste which is long and pleasant.
Moderate full body and good coating, rough feel yet slick.
Highly drinkable. I could not put it down. So good and satisfying.

-Oelergud

3.53/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottoe courtesy of , and thanks to Immy! A slight hazy yellow pour pours with a good bleached white froth. Good lacing. Pretty straight forward hop profile in the nose, with some perfume and citrus fruits. A hoppy bread crust flavour is matched well with a mild citrus bitterness. Good pure hop leaf finish, with lots of bitterness lingering.Would do well on the patio in summer. Not complex, but still very enjoyable. A pleasure to try. Thanks so much Tim!

2.72/5  rDev -29%

4.13/5  rDev +7.8%

Sampled from a growler filled at Stone's "Winter Cleaning" growler fill. Or something like that. Don't really care what it was called - I just care I got to try this!

A: Cloudy amber/golden color with a nice fluffy tan head that leaves a good amount of lacing.

S: Smells of piney hops, alcohol and just a bit of sweet malt.

T: Interesting. For sure. Even after a year and a half, the hops are on the forefront. Piney hops at that. There is also quite a bit of alcohol warmth, which works nicely for this beer. Behind that, a touch of caramel/toffee sweetness, with a nice bit of spice. Finally, there is a bit of a wheat character, but it is very much in the background. All around, quite unique, and nice.

M: Nice and full, with a low to medium level of carbonation and a nice alcohol warmth.

D: Altogether, pretty drinkable - not the most sessionable of Stone beers, but still pretty good.

Recommended, if you can actually get your hands on this.

Picked up a couple bombers at Colonial while in the Acton area...
Pours a clear golden amber w/ a full two fingers of bright white head, which sticks around for quite a bit...lacing is thick.
Tons of scents going on here...juicy fruit hops up front w/ some spice, citrus and just a hint of alcohol.
Taste is very enjoyable...hard to believe this is a wheat beer at first, but as you get further and further into this bomber, it becomes more and more apparent.
A boatload of hops bittering this one up...w/ a nice malt backbone to add that sweetness. Alcohol is also noticable in the taste and the finish is quite bitter...Orange rind comes to mind as it warms.
Mouthfeel is above average and the drinkability is decent, but I would think twice before drinking this one all evening.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours a slightly cloudy golden orange color with about an inch of white head that leaves nice lacing behind.

Aroma is a nice mix of citrusy hops and caramel malts. Transitions nicely between the two.

Flavor is along the same lines as the scent. Spicy hit up front from the hops with a sweet caramel taste in the middle. Lasting hop bite and bitterness on the back of the tongue. Not sure where it is coming from (I no longer smoke) but I get a faint tobacco flavor also.

Medium body with average carbonation.

I only picked up one bomber of this during my travels but I don't think I would grab one over something else I like if I see it again. That tobacco flavor is getting stronger in the aftertaste. Am I the only one who noticed this?

3.93/5  rDev +2.6%

Very light copper color, slightly hazy with a think, chunky white head. Subtle stream of champagne bubbles up the side of the glass that refreshes the head. BANG! Big Chinook citrus hop punch when I take a whiff of the beer. Sweet back, maybe a little banana ester. Nice flavor. Sharp sweetness up front. Light caramel, maybe a little mandarin orange. The real grapefruit bitterness comes midway through the drink. A bit of apple pear on the finish along with pretty mean alcohol warming. The mouth feel is full, but slightly slick. Drinkability is good, but not great. The alcohol heat hurts the beer overall. Still, very interesting beer.

3.18/5  rDev -17%

Pours a mostly clear ornag color with a one inch frothy head that slowly settles to a thin spotty cap and thick ring, and leaves a very nice looking web of lace.

Smell; smells strongly hops with grapefruits and oranges, and some other fruits that I can't quite place (maybe apricots?). There's a pretty good malt presence in the nose to go along with the hops.

Taste; strong alcohol notes hit right away. Bitter hops with some sweet grapefruit and oranges following. This has a petty solid malt backbone to counter thos hops some. I just wish the alcohol didn't have such a pronounced presence in the flavor. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, and to syrupy for me, and the drinkability takes a big hit due to the alcohol taste.

4.15/5  rDev +8.4%

Stone's huge version of their Heat Seeking Wheat from a few years back. Out of a big 25 oz bottle. Pours a slightly hazy dark gold with a huge thick persitant head. Very nice hoppy aroma- spicy and citrusy hop smells dominate. Definitely some fruity (bananas/raisins) estery aromas become very noticable as the brew warms. Taste is big citrusy hops upfront. From there it's all wheat with some banana undertones and it finishes very dry. Different but I like it Medium mouthfeel and pretty drinkable. Leave it to Stone to come up with a really crazy wheat beer. Nice experimental beer.

4.37/5  rDev +14.1%

Appearance- ½” just off white head, head has good retention and the lacing is about ¼” thick and sticks to side of glass. Golden orange color and is a bit cloudy. Lots of carbonation (when poured 2nd glass I poured it a bit to hard and got head of about ¾ of the glass, it was a really rough pour though)

Smell- Hops and a bit of orangey smell. Has a malt background. Seems like a mix between citrusy and floral hops.

Taste-Hoppy up front. Can taste the different levels of alcohol on back and mid tongue. A medium bitter aftertaste. Has a nice bitter bite at front of tongue. Fruity flavors which I think is orangey. Was also sweetish like the same kind of sweet you get from a sweet orange.

Mouthfeel- big body, medium carbonation, with a heavy feel to it.

Drinkability- I like it! First beer I like when I can taste alcohol in it, since it doesn’t give that warming feeling in back of throat to much. Nice complex beer that seems to be easier to pick apart the flavors.

4.18/5  rDev +9.1%

On tap at stone winter storm 2010.

I have no idea why this beer only recieved a B+. It's drinking amazing right now.

Pours a very beautiful yellow. With a nice sticky white head. Nice lacing.

Smells wonderful for it's age. A lot of hop aroma going on for such an old beer. Pineapple, peaches, lemon and orange peel. With a nice sweet malt smell in the background.

Taste is awesome. All the same flavors above with a nice bitter finish. Nice sweet maltiness in the background. The hops are runnin the show here. But not without help of the malt.

Mouthfeel is actually a little under carbed but good still.

Overall I wish I could bring some of this home. If you have some drink it because this is at it's peak.

3.43/5  rDev -10.4%

This poured to a bright yellow and gold with a medium head that lasted fairly well. It left some nice lace too.

The smell is full of hops and nothing else. The taste is has a light malt profile but hops quickly take over. The mouthfeel is very sharp, while drinkability takes a hit for lack of balance although the alcohol remains hidden.

This kind of makes me think of an Arrogant Bastard without the hefty malt content. The hops could definitely use a stronger supporting cast.

3.65/5  rDev -4.7%

Slightly hazy straw / orange body capped with a rocky finger of foam with the consistency of egg whites. The nose is ripe with grapefruit and sweet fruits.

Entry is ruled by sheer upfront hoppiness which quickly dissipates into a mellow, fruity midtaste which shows the touch of wheat and lack of strong malts.

The finish begins with another charge of citrus hops which fades quickly into virtual nothingness...well, except for a lingering slickness on the middle and back section of the tongue.

This is certainly a different style for Stone and it stands up, well, a little differently. It's almost as though that wack-job Vinnie from Russian River temporarily took control of Mr. Chase's gray matter for awhile...know what I mean?

3.02/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Somewhat unaware of the hoopla that surrounded the release of a new beer from Stone, I picked one up for no other reason than it was the first one that greeted my eye as I wandered through John's Market. I'm not a huge Stone fan -- they sort of seem like the Yankees of microbreweries -- but I'm always game for something new. Upon first impression, it's a mellower beer than I was expecting... is this a wheat beer? There's a nice wall of lace on the inside of the glass. It's got a sharp citric hop tweak, and some cutting bitterness, but it is short and over with quickly. There are some bready malts with peach and orange fruit flavors, Scottish shortbread, and what seems to me like a wheaty tang. There's also an underlying metallic quality that could be the sharp hops riding tandem with the excessive alcohol. I have to say, I don't see any way that the high alcohol helps this beer; it would taste much better without the "dead zone" that a high abv creates. There is almost a spoilt-Ringwood sour apple taste too... This is all too bad since my first impressions of the beer were totally favorable. The smell is still pretty good. And there's still a pleasant malt-and-hop interplay on the tongue before you take a wince-inducing swallow. But Jesus. This alcohol is too much. It makes the beer entirely unappealing.

4.3/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured a hazy light tangerine color with a good amount of frothy, white head. Spectacular pour and head retention.

The nose was strong with roasted malts and grapefuit.

It tasted similar to the nose, very roasted with heavy malts and hops. Quite a refreshing beer for a full bodied strong ale with very like alcohol detected. In my opinion, it tasted more like a DIPA.

I enjoyed this beer, keep up the fantastic work, Stone...

4.12/5  rDev +7.6%

A lot of times you'll hear about a beer that is way hyped and turns out to not live up to it. Then occasionally you'll hear a beer get knocked, but when you finally try it, it's great. That's sort of the situation with this beer. I read that it was sort of a flop, but I decided to try it anyway and I'm glad I did. Appears a very vibrant yellow with orange amber hues, pretty cloudy, and a nice lasting head. Smells like when you stick your nose into a bag of hop pellets, nice and juicy. Taste is equally hoppy, providing a more fruity flowery citrus boquet rather than bitterness, although of course there's a big of that. I thought this beer might be too sweet from the smell, but it really is pretty well balanced. Less cloying than their Ruination. I'd almost call this an IPA, instead of a strong ale, but there's a nice warming alcohol quality to it, and nice fruity malts. Chewy mouthfeel and I found this one pretty entertaining to drink. I'd definately recommend it and I might even go pick up another bottle sometime to see what I think all over again. A good brew.

4.13/5  rDev +7.8%

I'm not afraid to say it, there will be Stone beers you will hate from time to time. Its a hell of a corporate philosophy, I think. If you don't like something from Stone, just try something else.

Or realize that you may be unworthy. It could happen.

I didn't like last year's big-ass brown ale. I'm in love with this year's, maybe a glance towards Gumballhead, actually, a tribute to the Amarillo hop in all its love-it-or hate it caustic bitterness.

Poofy head unceasing and Belgian in quality, this is a gorgeous looking light-colored ale. Give this to someone drinking BMC just to watch their face pucker up. Trust me, you'll enjoy it. Get a picture if you can.

There is a palate assault here on caliber with Ruination, some almost fiery twinges of metallic bittering and hop finishes as subtle as smoky scotch.

Somehow still refreshing, take this one as it comes because there's no suggestion of cellaring on the bottle, nor any sense at all on the label. Seriously, these are just not fun anymore. Or maybe i'm just still not Stone worthy.

3.97/5  rDev +3.7%

Appearance: Opaque orange, very thin lacing and soapy bubbles. You'd get a bit of head on it only after significant swirling. For something that's been sitting a while in the cellar, it's nothing unusual.

Smell: Speaking of unusual, the hop signature you usually get from Stone isn't quite there in this Beer, so it came off as a bit of a surprise. Sure, the citrus and pine were there, but it was way more mellow, there definately had some cheezy element and some kind of corked character that I enjoyed. Another after-effect of the aging process? Perhaps.

Taste: Carbonation was just right to leave some room for the malt and to prevent the hops from taking center stage, but obviously they keep the leading role. The pineyness of the hops came out the most, another surprise for me as I'm used to more of a grapefruit finish, and there definately had some yeast action going on as well. It went down wickedly smooth and I enjoyed it. Note to self: keep aging your Stones!

3.53/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Poured from the 22 oz bottle to a Duvel tulip glass. The beer is a clear copper/orange with dancing carbonation. The head is a stiff white with excellent lacing and retention. Very nice looking beer.

Smell: The aroma is definately hoppy, fruity, and a bit bready. Some dry apricot too.

Taste: Light bitterness opens the flavor but it grows into a blast of floral hop bitterness. That bitterness gives way to a sweet and soft maltiness. That maltiness then fades to release a more potent hop flavor than the first. The end is very long and fruity with a slight spritzy citrus flavor. The aftertaste is sweet and bready.

Mouthfeel: Well carbonated and clean. Sticky and a medium bodied.

Drinkability: Good but not great. I will sit on a bottle for a while and see how it ages. It's pretty well balanced but I could see the hop flavor mellowing out to give a more sweet and fruity character.

3.13/5  rDev -18.3%

Meh. Stone has been a hit-or-miss brewery for me. This beer falls within the near-miss catagory. I mean, it isn't bad, it just isn't good. It looks nice, like an old penny. It smells, well, like a beer -- malt, an assertive amount of hops, with a strong alcohol back.
The taste follows the smell, it tastes, well, like a beer. I mean that in the most generic way possible. I could had this to any BMC drinker, they'd have a sip and say, "Yup. It's a beer". I guess, there just isn't anything special about it. Mediocre through and through. Hops are present, but not really 'doing' anything. Malt is the same way, it's there, just not special or unique. It is also pretty overcarbonated.

If I wanted a beer like this, I would have gotten a nice clean lager. It would have done the job much better.

Stone 9th Anniversary Ale from Stone Brewing