Give Me IPA Or Give Me Death | Stone Brewing

Give Me IPA Or Give Me DeathGive Me IPA Or Give Me Death

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Just as Patrick Henry once stood addressing the city of Richmond in 1775 to spur resistance against the tyrannical British Empire, 20 years ago we were stirred to join the cry for resistance against the tyrannical oppression of industrial beer. And now, the opening of our Richmond brewery is yet another shot in the salvo that has been fired on behalf of American brewing independence. If we wish to brew free, if we mean to retain our identity and preserve the privilege of access to independent craft beer, we must recognize it is a group effort. We do not stand alone. And so, on our new brewing grounds, we gathered with fellow craft breweries and “His Excellency,” Governor McAuliffe, to join together in force. A group cry of freedom & independence! Consider this aggressively hopped imperial IPA, jam-packed with Virginia raspberries and blackberries, a testament to our passion and unwillingness to settle or sell out! We think Patrick Henry would be proud, and hope you will be too.

Added by BarryMFBurton on 02-11-2017

Liked:
3.91/5
Alströms:

4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

3.83/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Stone Brewing "Give Me IPA Or Give Me Death"
22 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, "BOTTLED RVA 01/31/17"
$5.89 @ Pletcher's Beer Distributor, State College, PA

Notes via stream of consciousness: So I'm very late to this beer, it's 195 days old, but I thought it was a good deal and Stone has never let me down so I bought it; and maybe it'll be a good evaluation of how it ages. There's a beautiful rocky cap of tan atop a hazy deep mahogany brown body with golden-orange highlights at the base of the glass. Nice looking pint. The head retention is quite impressive. There's some fruit in the nose, not much, but there's fruit added, let me see... raspberries and blackberries... and I think I'm finding more blackberry than raspberry but I guess they're both there. There's also some pine, a hint of citrus (mainly orange), and darkly caramelish malt. The flavor delivers more maltiness and hops, but the fruit remains, appearing midway but then more clearly in the finish. The malt has some brown sugar character to it, but also some darker, almost burnt sugar as well. The hops remain piney, lots of pine, but they're also a bit herbal, especially in the lingering finish; and that's where the fruit mainly appears, and I find it lingering on the tip of my tongue. There's some other berry-like fruitiness there as well, and I'm not sure if that's from the yeast or from some hops. It's also solidly bitter, quite the Stone way of doing things, and that brings it to a dry conclusion (well, along with the pine). I'd guess it's 80 IBUs but don't hold me to that. Looking back, I've still got an almost completely solid surface covering, and the lacing is quite nice. Given the color I'm not sure I'd have labeled it as an IPA though, "strong ale" might fit it better, but then the whole "Give Me IPA Or Give Me Death" thing falls apart. Medium bodied and crisp. Overall not bad. I'd imagine it's lost some fruitiness, particularly from the citrusy hops, but it doesn't seem dull. Of course I'll never know because I've never had it fresh. I've enjoyed it though. I'm on the fence as to whether or not I think it should have more raspberry and blackberry to it. It might be nice to have more, but at the same time it's there and makes a clear contribution as-is, while maintaining a synergy that seems to work. It reminds me in a way of Titanic Brewing's Plum Porter in the general blend of fruit and malt. Any more I think would over-do it. And I guess along those lines I'm on the fence about the bitterness as well, but if it was less bitter would the fruit and malt come out more and let it morph into a flabby mess? I shouldn't say flabby, it wouldn't get that bad, but the bold bitterness certainly let's you know it's an IPA and cuts through it. And then there's the pine. For myself I'd prefer less but it still works. Ahh, I think it's pretty damned tasty. Not the best, but quite good. If I had the opportunity now I'd buy another bottle or two given the price I paid, and have a half a bottle a night as a nightcap while reading before bed. It makes a good sipper, and I prefer it once it's warmed a bit.

4.4/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Terrible beer.

4.24/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Love the label of this one. Big fan of Liberty! This one has a unique hop characteristic. Initial taste up front is almost that of a Belgian strong ale with candied sugars, then lots of bread, vanilla, nuttiness, then some orange peel and bitterness. The feel is very silky and smooth. Another good Stone brew.

3.65/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.02/5  rDev -22.8%

3.55/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Type: 22-oz. bottle
Glass: Clear 14.75-oz. porter/stout tulip
From: Costco in Grossmont Center (San Diego), Calif.
Price: $6.89 (I think)
Purchased: May 15, 2017
Consumed: May 21, 2017
Reviewed as: American Double / Imperial IPA
Misc.: Bottled on Jan. 31, 2017; Collab with Hardywood Park and Ardent Craft Ales

My wife called on a recent trip to Costco and I decided to have her pick this one up. Was not a huge fan of their stout version and not expecting too much from this either. Throw in the Jan. 31, 2017 bottled on date and who knows how good/bad this can be.

Poured a dark garnet-to-light brown murky color with 2-to-4 fingers of khaki-white rocky head. Could not see any bubbles underneath. Excellent foamy lacing. World-class retention. (Sight - 4.25)

Smelled herbal, menthol, lemon cough drops, honey, blackberries, raspberries and hints of chocolate. (Smell - 3.50)

Taste followed the nose for the most part. Herbal, menthol, lemon cough drop, honey, green vegetables, leafy hops, raspberries, blackberries, chocolate, toasted toffee, grain and lingering bitter pine on the tongue. Almost more like an Amber (imperial amber maybe) or even a strong ale. (Taste - 3.50)

Medium body. Oily texture. Average carbonation. Long roasty finish. (Feel - 3.50)

This was OK. Would like to try it fresh, but not sure how much my opinion would change. Still more like an Amber or an American Strong Ale to me. This would’ve been great in 2007. (Overall - 3.50)

3.55 | 81 | B

3.77/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.1/5  rDev +4.9%

3.81/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Picked up a bomber from TW Arrowhead 3-12-17 for $7.99. Bottled on 1-31-17.

Beer poured a murky orange-brown with a lovely white head that is leaving lacing. Strange coloring is from the berry fruit additions.

Nose is herbal and fruity forward, very fresh.

Taste is very bitter with some herbal notes. Very little fruit profile in the taste.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and very smooth.

Overall this beer is all over the place. Way too bitter in the finish as this is a flashback to the abrasive days of brewing. Recipe has potential but is not quite there.

4.18/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.59/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bomber into a snifter appears dark copper in color with a khaki head that fades leaving stringy lace.

Nose is dank pine hops blending to fruity and almost tropical.

It is bitter and resinous almost burnt with toasty cramel malt in the aftertaste.

This is medium in body with modest carbonation. Honestly, this was a bit disjointed and didnt really work for me.

3.63/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.81/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: opaque, but crystal clear if held to the light; mahogany in color; 2 finger light tan head that receded slowly to a thin cap; sheets of lacing;

S: herbal, mint, raspberry, and blackberry;

T: herbal and mint from start to finish; moderate, somewhat harsh bitterness at the end; no raspberry or blackberry character;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation; moderately dry finish;

O: expected and wanted the fruit to be at least a small part of the flavor; I'm a big fan of bitterness, but, in my opinion, this needed to be smoothed out a bit;

3.92/5  rDev +0.3%

4.56/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.99/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance: pours a dark amber color with a 2" head that lasts a long time. Thick lace paints the glass.

Smell: mild bread and fruit aroma.

Taste: grainy malt, dark bread, grapefruit, some pine, a hint of berry sweetness, and an earthy bitterness.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer. Crisp to start, less crisp and a touch dry at the finish.

Overall: a hearty DIPA that is slower sipping but satisfying.

4.27/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

L - Deep murky opaque brown with some hazy brighter amber highlights around the edges with a medium tan head with a good amount of lacing. It's a nice looking beer, but the deep brown is a little strange for an IPA in my opinion.
S - A nice amount of hop presence with a slight lingering scent of the raspberries and blackberries. There's some malt in there as well. Hints of citrus but only slightly.
T - A good amount of hops and bready malt up front followed by hints of citrus and fruitiness - which I'm assuming is the raspberries and blackberries. With that said, as with their Stout of the same name, I wish the blackberries and raspberries were more pronounced in the flavor profile but regardless as the Stout was very solid, this IPA is very solid.
F - Full bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Very smooth. Juicy mouth-feel.
O - This is a great IPA, with a more malty, bready, and fruity flavor profile. As mentioned, I wish there raspberries and blackberries were more pronounced but they are there - slightly. Regardless, another great IPA from Stone.

4.07/5  rDev +4.1%

Love Stone, love that they're taking Richmond VA. Love their pub at SAN airport.

A: Pours a dark amber murky body, with only a bit of lace. (the fruit). Moderate bubbles and a single finger of off white head.

Smell: English! East coast. A juicy and dank hop profile with bits of citrus, pine, and berries.

T: Upfront citrus hop scent of sexy orange peel, grapefruit, tangerine, passion fruit, tangerine, mango, and lemon. Lots of colors and complexity. Earthy ending notes of grass, pine, and cannabis. Miss the berries. Malt back of caramel, grains, and cracker. Juicy.

Mouthfeel: Medium... Juicy, oily, and drying. Alcohol well hidden.

O: Monster English / East coast old-fashioned EIPA - I'm sure berries were good for me, but only flattened the lace.

3.81/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 500ml bottle into Spiegelau IPA glass. Bottled on January 31st 2017 so a little old but here we go.

L: Clear dark red with a purple hue, an interesting color. Massive two finger head with excellent retention.

S: Fruity hops, some tropicalness but also some berry notes. A hint of caramel malt. Unique aroma.

T: More hop forward in the flavor. Good bitterness, I don't get much from the berries here. Sad!

F: Medium body, higher than normal carbonation levels, dry.

O: Okay, as a berried DIPA, this is a miss. As a DIPA this is not bad. They missed the mark on what they advertised but its still a tasty beer.

Give Me IPA Or Give Me Death from Stone Brewing