Give Me IPA Or Give Me Death

3.94 | pDev: 9.64%
From:
Stone Brewing

Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Give Me IPA Or Give Me DeathGive Me IPA Or Give Me Death
Notes: Just as Patrick Henry once stood addressing the city of Richmond in 1775 to spur resistance against the tyrannical British Empire, 20 years ago we were stirred to join the cry for resistance against the tyrannical oppression of industrial beer. And now, the opening of our Richmond brewery is yet another shot in the salvo that has been fired on behalf of American brewing independence. If we wish to brew free, if we mean to retain our identity and preserve the privilege of access to independent craft beer, we must recognize it is a group effort. We do not stand alone. And so, on our new brewing grounds, we gathered with fellow craft breweries and “His Excellency,” Governor McAuliffe, to join together in force. A group cry of freedom & independence! Consider this aggressively hopped imperial IPA, jam-packed with Virginia raspberries and blackberries, a testament to our passion and unwillingness to settle or sell out! We think Patrick Henry would be proud, and hope you will be too.
Reviews: 59 | Ratings: 200 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
MonDak_Joe1953 from Minnesota

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured from 22oz bottle into glass. Stamped bottling date is '01/31/17'.
Slightly cloudy, deep amber colored body. Light tan head settles to bubbly cap. Receding head leaves behind strings of lacing.
Aroma is vague, due to age, and includes tart raspberry, dank hops, and golden malts.
Taste retains some of the fruity tastes (which are a little tart), along with tropical fruit and dank hops. Citrus fruit rind creates the residual bitterness at the end.
Mouth coating medium to full mouth feel. Good carbonation,
Even at this late, the beer expresses a well done execution of a bold recipe. Body color is expressive of the raspberry and blackberry part of the ingredients.

Apr 18, 2018
stortore from Illinois

4.04/5  rDev +2.5%

22 ounce bottle into a tulip snifter. Bottled 1/31/17, had 3/23/17.

Pours a medium amber, cloudy, with a one and a half inch foamy head and a good amount of foamy lacing. Smells of citrus hops- orange, grapefruit, pineapple, yeast, some malt, light caramel, faint berries and black pepper as it warms. Dank, but not overly so. Citrus hops also lead the flavor- orange, pineapple, tangerine, less grapefruit, malt, caramel, some berries, some pine- more on the finish, fairly strong bitterness throughout. A little dank, a little sweet. Smooth, fairly creamy, a solid medium body, well carbonated.

A typically very well crafted Stone DIPA, very enjoyable to drink. Great balance between the hops and malt. The berries are supportive but not overly noticeable, and l get the impression they should be more prominent. So, a little haircut on the rating.

Jan 29, 2018
Pencible from Virginia

3.89/5  rDev -1.3%

A: This poured a cloudy mahogany with moderate light tan head.
S: It smelled like orange and grapefruit zest, with some tart raspberry and sweet honey malt.
T: It tasted like dank resin and bitter grapefruit zest, with some tart raspberry and biscuit malt. It had a clean and lasting bitter aftertaste.
M: It was thick with moderate carbonation. Great full body.
D: This was an interesting brew with nicely balanced and unique scent. The taste was bold but more one dimensional. The body was solid, and the alcohol was fairly well hidden. But the finish was a little harsh, so it was better to sip. Nice to try once but not amazing.

Dec 23, 2017
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

4.09/5  rDev +3.8%

It is the auspicious occasion of the devilish New Beer Sunday (Week 666) & I started the day with some Voodoo (Ranger), but now I have decided to see what Stone's gargoyle, a product of the nether regions, to be sure, has to offer on this delightfully wicked day.

From the bottle: "Virginia Commemorative Collaboration"; "An India Pale Ale brewed with Raspberries & Blackberries from the Commonwealth of Virginia"; "An Imperial tribute to Richmond & the rise of craft beer independence"; "Just as Patrick Henry once stood addressing the city of Richmond in 1775 to spur resistance against the tyrannical British Empire, 20 years ago we were stirred to join the cry for resistance against the tyrannical oppression of industrial beer. And now, the opening of our Richmond brewery is yet another shot in the salvo that has been fired on behalf of American brewing independence. If we wish to brew free, if we mean to retain our identity and preserve the privilege of access to independent craft beer, we must recognize it is a group effort. We do not stand alone. And so, on our new brewing grounds, we gathered with fellow craft breweries and 'His Excellency,' Governor McAuliffe, to join together in force. A group cry of freedom & independence! Consider this aggressively hopped imperial IPA, jam-packed with Virginia raspberries and blackberries, a testament to our passion and unwillingness to settle or sell out! We think Patrick Henry would be proud, and hope you will be too."; "Our Collaborators[:] Ardent Craft Ales Richmond, VA[;] Hardywood Park Craft Brewery Richmond, VA[;] His Excellency Terry McAuliffe Virginia Governor". As to the latter: WOW! Just wow.

I Pop!ped the cap & having decided to once again go with a slow, gentle pour due to the amount of liquid involved (22-fl. oz), I still got two fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, light-tan head with great retention. Wow. Color was a magnificent Coppery-Brown (SRM = > 17, < 22) with NE-quality clarity & deep-amber highlights. Nose did not smell like a DIPA, but instead, like my late-paternal grandmother's kitchen when she & I would make raspberry preserves with fruit from her garden. 8=)

I loved cooking & home CANning & I was way ahead when I took HomeEc Foods in high school. My drinking buddy, Chef Monty, and I were JUST debating the merits of jammy beers on Friday & he is not a fan while I like them MUCH more than some that use herbs & spices and taste (to me) like I just got a mouthful from the atomizer in the perfume section at the department store. Ugh. I like it when fruit imparts a fruit flavor in my beer & if it is as intense as "jammy", then so be it!

Now, that is not to suggest that this was a sweet beer. Both of the fruits involved (usually) impart a tartness, which was the case here. I am not sure that I would have recognized it as a DIPA, but it was definitely a Fruit Beer. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but on the approach. The taste was very evocative of both raspberries and blackberries and that was just fine by me. I am an unapologetic, self-described, self-avowed hophead & I love what hops do for beer, but if the fruits want to take the spotlight, I am in favor thereof. All of that said, there was a pronounced pine-mint coolness on the finish, reminding me that at its base, it was a DIPA. Phew! I may need to take my foot off of the gas after this one.

Nov 26, 2017
NeroFiddled from Pennsylvania

Stone Brewing "Give Me IPA Or Give Me Death"
22 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, "BOTTLED RVA 01/31/17"
$5.89 @ Pletcher's Beer Distributor, State College, PA

Notes via stream of consciousness: So I'm very late to this beer, it's 195 days old, but I thought it was a good deal and Stone has never let me down so I bought it; and maybe it'll be a good evaluation of how it ages. There's a beautiful rocky cap of tan atop a hazy deep mahogany brown body with golden-orange highlights at the base of the glass. Nice looking pint. The head retention is quite impressive. There's some fruit in the nose, not much, but there's fruit added, let me see... raspberries and blackberries... and I think I'm finding more blackberry than raspberry but I guess they're both there. There's also some pine, a hint of citrus (mainly orange), and darkly caramelish malt. The flavor delivers more maltiness and hops, but the fruit remains, appearing midway but then more clearly in the finish. The malt has some brown sugar character to it, but also some darker, almost burnt sugar as well. The hops remain piney, lots of pine, but they're also a bit herbal, especially in the lingering finish; and that's where the fruit mainly appears, and I find it lingering on the tip of my tongue. There's some other berry-like fruitiness there as well, and I'm not sure if that's from the yeast or from some hops. It's also solidly bitter, quite the Stone way of doing things, and that brings it to a dry conclusion (well, along with the pine). I'd guess it's 80 IBUs but don't hold me to that. Looking back, I've still got an almost completely solid surface covering, and the lacing is quite nice. Given the color I'm not sure I'd have labeled it as an IPA though, "strong ale" might fit it better, but then the whole "Give Me IPA Or Give Me Death" thing falls apart. Medium bodied and crisp. Overall not bad. I'd imagine it's lost some fruitiness, particularly from the citrusy hops, but it doesn't seem dull. Of course I'll never know because I've never had it fresh. I've enjoyed it though. I'm on the fence as to whether or not I think it should have more raspberry and blackberry to it. It might be nice to have more, but at the same time it's there and makes a clear contribution as-is, while maintaining a synergy that seems to work. It reminds me in a way of Titanic Brewing's Plum Porter in the general blend of fruit and malt. Any more I think would over-do it. And I guess along those lines I'm on the fence about the bitterness as well, but if it was less bitter would the fruit and malt come out more and let it morph into a flabby mess? I shouldn't say flabby, it wouldn't get that bad, but the bold bitterness certainly let's you know it's an IPA and cuts through it. And then there's the pine. For myself I'd prefer less but it still works. Ahh, I think it's pretty damned tasty. Not the best, but quite good. If I had the opportunity now I'd buy another bottle or two given the price I paid, and have a half a bottle a night as a nightcap while reading before bed. It makes a good sipper, and I prefer it once it's warmed a bit.

Aug 14, 2017
Ruger_44-Redhawk from Idaho

4.24/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Love the label of this one. Big fan of Liberty! This one has a unique hop characteristic. Initial taste up front is almost that of a Belgian strong ale with candied sugars, then lots of bread, vanilla, nuttiness, then some orange peel and bitterness. The feel is very silky and smooth. Another good Stone brew.

Jul 07, 2017
BucannonXC5 from California

3.55/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Type: 22-oz. bottle
Glass: Clear 14.75-oz. porter/stout tulip
From: Costco in Grossmont Center (San Diego), Calif.
Price: $6.89 (I think)
Purchased: May 15, 2017
Consumed: May 21, 2017
Reviewed as: American Double / Imperial IPA
Misc.: Bottled on Jan. 31, 2017; Collab with Hardywood Park and Ardent Craft Ales

My wife called on a recent trip to Costco and I decided to have her pick this one up. Was not a huge fan of their stout version and not expecting too much from this either. Throw in the Jan. 31, 2017 bottled on date and who knows how good/bad this can be.

Poured a dark garnet-to-light brown murky color with 2-to-4 fingers of khaki-white rocky head. Could not see any bubbles underneath. Excellent foamy lacing. World-class retention. (Sight - 4.25)

Smelled herbal, menthol, lemon cough drops, honey, blackberries, raspberries and hints of chocolate. (Smell - 3.50)

Taste followed the nose for the most part. Herbal, menthol, lemon cough drop, honey, green vegetables, leafy hops, raspberries, blackberries, chocolate, toasted toffee, grain and lingering bitter pine on the tongue. Almost more like an Amber (imperial amber maybe) or even a strong ale. (Taste - 3.50)

Medium body. Oily texture. Average carbonation. Long roasty finish. (Feel - 3.50)

This was OK. Would like to try it fresh, but not sure how much my opinion would change. Still more like an Amber or an American Strong Ale to me. This would’ve been great in 2007. (Overall - 3.50)

3.55 | 81 | B

May 26, 2017
arizcards from Arizona

3.81/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Picked up a bomber from TW Arrowhead 3-12-17 for $7.99. Bottled on 1-31-17.

Beer poured a murky orange-brown with a lovely white head that is leaving lacing. Strange coloring is from the berry fruit additions.

Nose is herbal and fruity forward, very fresh.

Taste is very bitter with some herbal notes. Very little fruit profile in the taste.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and very smooth.

Overall this beer is all over the place. Way too bitter in the finish as this is a flashback to the abrasive days of brewing. Recipe has potential but is not quite there.

May 20, 2017
stakem from Pennsylvania

3.59/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bomber into a snifter appears dark copper in color with a khaki head that fades leaving stringy lace.

Nose is dank pine hops blending to fruity and almost tropical.

It is bitter and resinous almost burnt with toasty cramel malt in the aftertaste.

This is medium in body with modest carbonation. Honestly, this was a bit disjointed and didnt really work for me.

May 16, 2017
CTHomer from Connecticut

3.81/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: opaque, but crystal clear if held to the light; mahogany in color; 2 finger light tan head that receded slowly to a thin cap; sheets of lacing;

S: herbal, mint, raspberry, and blackberry;

T: herbal and mint from start to finish; moderate, somewhat harsh bitterness at the end; no raspberry or blackberry character;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation; moderately dry finish;

O: expected and wanted the fruit to be at least a small part of the flavor; I'm a big fan of bitterness, but, in my opinion, this needed to be smoothed out a bit;

May 13, 2017
Gavage from Nevada

3.99/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance: pours a dark amber color with a 2" head that lasts a long time. Thick lace paints the glass.

Smell: mild bread and fruit aroma.

Taste: grainy malt, dark bread, grapefruit, some pine, a hint of berry sweetness, and an earthy bitterness.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer. Crisp to start, less crisp and a touch dry at the finish.

Overall: a hearty DIPA that is slower sipping but satisfying.

May 06, 2017
LifesAnesthesia from Virginia

4.27/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

L - Deep murky opaque brown with some hazy brighter amber highlights around the edges with a medium tan head with a good amount of lacing. It's a nice looking beer, but the deep brown is a little strange for an IPA in my opinion.
S - A nice amount of hop presence with a slight lingering scent of the raspberries and blackberries. There's some malt in there as well. Hints of citrus but only slightly.
T - A good amount of hops and bready malt up front followed by hints of citrus and fruitiness - which I'm assuming is the raspberries and blackberries. With that said, as with their Stout of the same name, I wish the blackberries and raspberries were more pronounced in the flavor profile but regardless as the Stout was very solid, this IPA is very solid.
F - Full bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Very smooth. Juicy mouth-feel.
O - This is a great IPA, with a more malty, bready, and fruity flavor profile. As mentioned, I wish there raspberries and blackberries were more pronounced but they are there - slightly. Regardless, another great IPA from Stone.

May 06, 2017
Act25 from New Jersey

4.07/5  rDev +3.3%

Love Stone, love that they're taking Richmond VA. Love their pub at SAN airport.

A: Pours a dark amber murky body, with only a bit of lace. (the fruit). Moderate bubbles and a single finger of off white head.

Smell: English! East coast. A juicy and dank hop profile with bits of citrus, pine, and berries.

T: Upfront citrus hop scent of sexy orange peel, grapefruit, tangerine, passion fruit, tangerine, mango, and lemon. Lots of colors and complexity. Earthy ending notes of grass, pine, and cannabis. Miss the berries. Malt back of caramel, grains, and cracker. Juicy.

Mouthfeel: Medium... Juicy, oily, and drying. Alcohol well hidden.

O: Monster English / East coast old-fashioned EIPA - I'm sure berries were good for me, but only flattened the lace.

May 03, 2017
Red5StandingBy from Maryland

3.81/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 500ml bottle into Spiegelau IPA glass. Bottled on January 31st 2017 so a little old but here we go.

L: Clear dark red with a purple hue, an interesting color. Massive two finger head with excellent retention.

S: Fruity hops, some tropicalness but also some berry notes. A hint of caramel malt. Unique aroma.

T: More hop forward in the flavor. Good bitterness, I don't get much from the berries here. Sad!

F: Medium body, higher than normal carbonation levels, dry.

O: Okay, as a berried DIPA, this is a miss. As a DIPA this is not bad. They missed the mark on what they advertised but its still a tasty beer.

May 02, 2017
StonedTrippin from Colorado

3.63/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

this is a weird one from these guys, a big ipa with raspberries and blackberries, but not nearly as good as that sounds like it would be. super murky pour, a little purple from the fruit, but almost a muddy reddish tan color, just not attractive at all, and not real lively either. the smell and taste are nice though at first, the hops are way out in front of the fruit, fresh and zippy, bitter and piney, with some tartness from the berries along with their inherent sweetness. more raspberry than blackberry, but way more hops than both. im not really sure whats going on with the grain here, its heavy feeling and it tastes weird to me, not quite stale, but just off a little bit, sweet in the middle, but sort of tired and definitely not meant for these hops or these berries it doesnt seem. the fruit adds a little sweetness, has a jammy note, but seems underdosed for how much the hops dominate it. the stupidly bitter stone finish sure enough shows up at the end of this one, rolling over any cool subtlety the fruit contributed earler and leaves me feeling like this isnt such a great beer overall. sloppy on the whole, a lot of unrealized potential in this one...

Apr 23, 2017
RyanK252 from California

4.02/5  rDev +2%

Bottle poured into a Stone Brewing Co pint glass

A: Pours reddish brown amber with a frothy tan head that settles to a firm layer that hangs around and leaves some nice lacing.

S: Big time fruity, some tropical and berry notes, citrus, a touch of peppery spice, toasty bready malt, and caramel toffee sweetness.

T: Fruity, berries definitely come out, peach, apricot, mango, passion fruit, citrus, orange, grapefruit, lemon, toasty bready malt, caramel toffee sweetness, and a bit of peppery spice that comes out on the finish.

M: A bit on the fuller side of medium body, moderate carbonation.

O: Drinks like a fruity red IPA, not that there's anything wrong with that. I really dig the idea behind this beer. Another solid IPA from Stone.

Apr 20, 2017
StoutElk_92 from Massachusetts

4.43/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. bottled 01/31/17

Pours dark ruby red amber with a creamy off-white foam head. Smells like blackberries, raspberries, roasty caramel malt, dark molasses, brown sugar, toffee, toasted bready malt, grapefruit, orange citrus, melon, apricot, tea, with floral earthy herbal grassy pine. Tastes like tart berries, blackberry, raspberry, roasty caramel malt, dark molasses, brown sugar, toffee, toasted bready malt, grapefruit, orange citrus, melon, apricot, tea, with floral earthy herbal grassy pine. Feels medium bodied, creamy and slick with moderate low carbonation. Overall a nice DIPA with blackberries and raspberries.

Apr 18, 2017
avalon07 from South Carolina

4.27/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass. Had a strangely (for a DIPA) dark amber color and a cloudy consistency. There was a big, foamy, long-lasting head. Some very good lacing.

S: A solid aroma of hops, a lot of fruit, malt, and a bit of pine as well.

T: Tasted of light malt notes, a big shot of hops, pine notes, an array of fruit (raspberries and blackberries in particular), a bit of citrus, and an earthy quality. The berries make for an interesting addition. A very well balanced flavor. The malt holds the high hops content in check.

F: A well-carbonated beer with a somewhat slick finish. Medium-bodied.

O: This is one of the more fascinating takes on the DIPA style I've tried recently. Quite tasty.

Apr 14, 2017
Tone from Missouri

3.96/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a cloudy brown color. 2/3 inch head of an off-white color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of spicy hops, piney hops, alcohol, sweet malt, raisin, and resin. Fits the style of an American Double / Imperial IPA. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. There is also a noticeable bitterness. Tastes of spicy hops, piney hops, alcohol, sweet malt, raisin, and resin. Overall, good appearance, good blend and body, but I didn't taste any blackberries.

Apr 09, 2017
curtis6290 from New York

Look: Incredibly dark for an IPA, due to the blackberry. Nice foamy head that lingers. (8/10)
Smell: Highly fruity, nice balance of fruit and hops. (8/10)
Taste: I was hoping for more berry taste, but it was very bitter. (8/10)
Feel: Smooth, and a nice finish. Opens up with time. (8/10)
Overall: A strange dark IPA with a faint hint of fruit. I wish the berries came through more powerfully, but a decent brew overall. (8/10)

Apr 05, 2017
unlikelyspiderperson from California

3.56/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up in a 22 at my local store, always down to try a stone IPA. Especially exited to try the first beer I've seen hyping their new east coast digs. Poured it into a 16 oz wide mouth jar. It has a very hazy and dark look in the glass, reminds me of kombucha or some of my less memorable home brew experiments. Very thin head. The smell seems muted. Nothing jumps out at me, vaguely sweet n sour. The beer is surprisingly thin for a stone brew, barely registers over the pallet. And the taste is nothing to write home about either. There is certainly a note of raspberry on the tail end that isn't unpleasant but there is no body to support it. Again I am reminded of kombucha, one fruit note in an undifferentiated sea of mildly bitter funk. Pretty bummed by this one honestly, stone's done some awesomely weird stuff in the past but this isn't one for me.

Apr 05, 2017
BEERMILER12 from Maine

3.84/5  rDev -2.5%

A: Pours a bronze color with 2 fingers of head that fades down to a nice cap that leaves some good lacing

S: Citrus, pine, caramel malt, berries, and some earthy notes

T: Follows the nose. Starts off with the earthy and piney notes and quickly picks up the caramel and berry notes. Some very light citrus in there as well. Very hoppy and bitter but the malt holds strong and still manages to almost overtake the hops flavor-wise. Finishes with lingering bitterness and light berries

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

O: Could use more hop flavor instead of just an overload of bitterness. Berries serve as a nice undertone overall. Quite easy to drink regardless of the bitterness. Nothing in here that's a must-have but is is solid if you like raw IIPAs

Mar 30, 2017
obywan59 from Virginia

4.06/5  rDev +3%

Cloudy and thick in appearance, like a fruit punch reddish and reddish brown in color with a 2 finger off white head and great lacing.

Typically exuberant Stone hops with fruity berry aromas to back them up.

Sweet malts and berries upfront with molasses, light citrus midway, and heavier bitter citrus rind with occasional punches of berry in the follow through.

Medium bodied with a lasting sting of carbonation or alcohol. Great retention without being sticky.

Another winner from Stone. I like the berry, though I could have used more. Well balanced and tasty. The alcohol is obviously there, but it's not overpowe4ring.

Mar 28, 2017
TheRougeBastard from North Carolina

3.89/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured a dark cooper-ish hue with an initial finger-width foam head. After letting it breathe, the first scent was all Stone IPA, that desipated though into, well, I'm not sure. Taste was IPA dry, citrus and orange peel, not tasting the Va. berries though??? Not sure what Stone was aiming for with this one, IMHO, if the intent was to herald the opening of the Richmond brewery, an Enjoy By-Virginian would have been a better mark to shoot for.

Mar 25, 2017
Dragginballs76 from South Carolina

3.84/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had this on draft

Appearance pours deep ruby color with tan head excellent lacing

smells of raspberry, grapefruit, orange peel, and blackberry

Taste very similar to the aroma, lots of berry flavor black berry black cherry and vanilla. Also citrus orange and grapefruit.

medium feel slightly dry finish.

Mar 23, 2017