Give Me IPA Or Give Me Death | Stone Brewing

Give Me IPA Or Give Me DeathGive Me IPA Or Give Me Death

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Just as Patrick Henry once stood addressing the city of Richmond in 1775 to spur resistance against the tyrannical British Empire, 20 years ago we were stirred to join the cry for resistance against the tyrannical oppression of industrial beer. And now, the opening of our Richmond brewery is yet another shot in the salvo that has been fired on behalf of American brewing independence. If we wish to brew free, if we mean to retain our identity and preserve the privilege of access to independent craft beer, we must recognize it is a group effort. We do not stand alone. And so, on our new brewing grounds, we gathered with fellow craft breweries and “His Excellency,” Governor McAuliffe, to join together in force. A group cry of freedom & independence! Consider this aggressively hopped imperial IPA, jam-packed with Virginia raspberries and blackberries, a testament to our passion and unwillingness to settle or sell out! We think Patrick Henry would be proud, and hope you will be too.

Added by BarryMFBurton on 02-11-2017

3.88/5  rDev -1%

Poured from 22oz bottle into glass. Stamped bottling date is '01/31/17'.
Slightly cloudy, deep amber colored body. Light tan head settles to bubbly cap. Receding head leaves behind strings of lacing.
Aroma is vague, due to age, and includes tart raspberry, dank hops, and golden malts.
Taste retains some of the fruity tastes (which are a little tart), along with tropical fruit and dank hops. Citrus fruit rind creates the residual bitterness at the end.
Mouth coating medium to full mouth feel. Good carbonation,
Even at this late, the beer expresses a well done execution of a bold recipe. Body color is expressive of the raspberry and blackberry part of the ingredients.

4.04/5  rDev +3.1%

22 ounce bottle into a tulip snifter. Bottled 1/31/17, had 3/23/17.

Pours a medium amber, cloudy, with a one and a half inch foamy head and a good amount of foamy lacing. Smells of citrus hops- orange, grapefruit, pineapple, yeast, some malt, light caramel, faint berries and black pepper as it warms. Dank, but not overly so. Citrus hops also lead the flavor- orange, pineapple, tangerine, less grapefruit, malt, caramel, some berries, some pine- more on the finish, fairly strong bitterness throughout. A little dank, a little sweet. Smooth, fairly creamy, a solid medium body, well carbonated.

A typically very well crafted Stone DIPA, very enjoyable to drink. Great balance between the hops and malt. The berries are supportive but not overly noticeable, and l get the impression they should be more prominent. So, a little haircut on the rating.

3.96/5  rDev +1%

3.64/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.89/5  rDev -0.8%

A: This poured a cloudy mahogany with moderate light tan head.
S: It smelled like orange and grapefruit zest, with some tart raspberry and sweet honey malt.
T: It tasted like dank resin and bitter grapefruit zest, with some tart raspberry and biscuit malt. It had a clean and lasting bitter aftertaste.
M: It was thick with moderate carbonation. Great full body.
D: This was an interesting brew with nicely balanced and unique scent. The taste was bold but more one dimensional. The body was solid, and the alcohol was fairly well hidden. But the finish was a little harsh, so it was better to sip. Nice to try once but not amazing.

4.38/5  rDev +11.7%

4.09/5  rDev +4.3%

It is the auspicious occasion of the devilish New Beer Sunday (Week 666) & I started the day with some Voodoo (Ranger), but now I have decided to see what Stone's gargoyle, a product of the nether regions, to be sure, has to offer on this delightfully wicked day.

From the bottle: "Virginia Commemorative Collaboration"; "An India Pale Ale brewed with Raspberries & Blackberries from the Commonwealth of Virginia"; "An Imperial tribute to Richmond & the rise of craft beer independence"; "Just as Patrick Henry once stood addressing the city of Richmond in 1775 to spur resistance against the tyrannical British Empire, 20 years ago we were stirred to join the cry for resistance against the tyrannical oppression of industrial beer. And now, the opening of our Richmond brewery is yet another shot in the salvo that has been fired on behalf of American brewing independence. If we wish to brew free, if we mean to retain our identity and preserve the privilege of access to independent craft beer, we must recognize it is a group effort. We do not stand alone. And so, on our new brewing grounds, we gathered with fellow craft breweries and 'His Excellency,' Governor McAuliffe, to join together in force. A group cry of freedom & independence! Consider this aggressively hopped imperial IPA, jam-packed with Virginia raspberries and blackberries, a testament to our passion and unwillingness to settle or sell out! We think Patrick Henry would be proud, and hope you will be too."; "Our Collaborators[:] Ardent Craft Ales Richmond, VA[;] Hardywood Park Craft Brewery Richmond, VA[;] His Excellency Terry McAuliffe Virginia Governor". As to the latter: WOW! Just wow.

I Pop!ped the cap & having decided to once again go with a slow, gentle pour due to the amount of liquid involved (22-fl. oz), I still got two fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, light-tan head with great retention. Wow. Color was a magnificent Coppery-Brown (SRM = > 17, < 22) with NE-quality clarity & deep-amber highlights. Nose did not smell like a DIPA, but instead, like my late-paternal grandmother's kitchen when she & I would make raspberry preserves with fruit from her garden. 8=)

I loved cooking & home CANning & I was way ahead when I took HomeEc Foods in high school. My drinking buddy, Chef Monty, and I were JUST debating the merits of jammy beers on Friday & he is not a fan while I like them MUCH more than some that use herbs & spices and taste (to me) like I just got a mouthful from the atomizer in the perfume section at the department store. Ugh. I like it when fruit imparts a fruit flavor in my beer & if it is as intense as "jammy", then so be it!

Now, that is not to suggest that this was a sweet beer. Both of the fruits involved (usually) impart a tartness, which was the case here. I am not sure that I would have recognized it as a DIPA, but it was definitely a Fruit Beer. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but on the approach. The taste was very evocative of both raspberries and blackberries and that was just fine by me. I am an unapologetic, self-described, self-avowed hophead & I love what hops do for beer, but if the fruits want to take the spotlight, I am in favor thereof. All of that said, there was a pronounced pine-mint coolness on the finish, reminding me that at its base, it was a DIPA. Phew! I may need to take my foot off of the gas after this one.

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

3.83/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Stone Brewing "Give Me IPA Or Give Me Death"
22 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, "BOTTLED RVA 01/31/17"
$5.89 @ Pletcher's Beer Distributor, State College, PA

Notes via stream of consciousness: So I'm very late to this beer, it's 195 days old, but I thought it was a good deal and Stone has never let me down so I bought it; and maybe it'll be a good evaluation of how it ages. There's a beautiful rocky cap of tan atop a hazy deep mahogany brown body with golden-orange highlights at the base of the glass. Nice looking pint. The head retention is quite impressive. There's some fruit in the nose, not much, but there's fruit added, let me see... raspberries and blackberries... and I think I'm finding more blackberry than raspberry but I guess they're both there. There's also some pine, a hint of citrus (mainly orange), and darkly caramelish malt. The flavor delivers more maltiness and hops, but the fruit remains, appearing midway but then more clearly in the finish. The malt has some brown sugar character to it, but also some darker, almost burnt sugar as well. The hops remain piney, lots of pine, but they're also a bit herbal, especially in the lingering finish; and that's where the fruit mainly appears, and I find it lingering on the tip of my tongue. There's some other berry-like fruitiness there as well, and I'm not sure if that's from the yeast or from some hops. It's also solidly bitter, quite the Stone way of doing things, and that brings it to a dry conclusion (well, along with the pine). I'd guess it's 80 IBUs but don't hold me to that. Looking back, I've still got an almost completely solid surface covering, and the lacing is quite nice. Given the color I'm not sure I'd have labeled it as an IPA though, "strong ale" might fit it better, but then the whole "Give Me IPA Or Give Me Death" thing falls apart. Medium bodied and crisp. Overall not bad. I'd imagine it's lost some fruitiness, particularly from the citrusy hops, but it doesn't seem dull. Of course I'll never know because I've never had it fresh. I've enjoyed it though. I'm on the fence as to whether or not I think it should have more raspberry and blackberry to it. It might be nice to have more, but at the same time it's there and makes a clear contribution as-is, while maintaining a synergy that seems to work. It reminds me in a way of Titanic Brewing's Plum Porter in the general blend of fruit and malt. Any more I think would over-do it. And I guess along those lines I'm on the fence about the bitterness as well, but if it was less bitter would the fruit and malt come out more and let it morph into a flabby mess? I shouldn't say flabby, it wouldn't get that bad, but the bold bitterness certainly let's you know it's an IPA and cuts through it. And then there's the pine. For myself I'd prefer less but it still works. Ahh, I think it's pretty damned tasty. Not the best, but quite good. If I had the opportunity now I'd buy another bottle or two given the price I paid, and have a half a bottle a night as a nightcap while reading before bed. It makes a good sipper, and I prefer it once it's warmed a bit.

4.4/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Terrible beer.

4.24/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Love the label of this one. Big fan of Liberty! This one has a unique hop characteristic. Initial taste up front is almost that of a Belgian strong ale with candied sugars, then lots of bread, vanilla, nuttiness, then some orange peel and bitterness. The feel is very silky and smooth. Another good Stone brew.

3.65/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.02/5  rDev -23%

3.55/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Type: 22-oz. bottle
Glass: Clear 14.75-oz. porter/stout tulip
From: Costco in Grossmont Center (San Diego), Calif.
Price: $6.89 (I think)
Purchased: May 15, 2017
Consumed: May 21, 2017
Reviewed as: American Double / Imperial IPA
Misc.: Bottled on Jan. 31, 2017; Collab with Hardywood Park and Ardent Craft Ales

My wife called on a recent trip to Costco and I decided to have her pick this one up. Was not a huge fan of their stout version and not expecting too much from this either. Throw in the Jan. 31, 2017 bottled on date and who knows how good/bad this can be.

Poured a dark garnet-to-light brown murky color with 2-to-4 fingers of khaki-white rocky head. Could not see any bubbles underneath. Excellent foamy lacing. World-class retention. (Sight - 4.25)

Smelled herbal, menthol, lemon cough drops, honey, blackberries, raspberries and hints of chocolate. (Smell - 3.50)

Taste followed the nose for the most part. Herbal, menthol, lemon cough drop, honey, green vegetables, leafy hops, raspberries, blackberries, chocolate, toasted toffee, grain and lingering bitter pine on the tongue. Almost more like an Amber (imperial amber maybe) or even a strong ale. (Taste - 3.50)

Medium body. Oily texture. Average carbonation. Long roasty finish. (Feel - 3.50)

This was OK. Would like to try it fresh, but not sure how much my opinion would change. Still more like an Amber or an American Strong Ale to me. This would’ve been great in 2007. (Overall - 3.50)

3.55 | 81 | B

3.77/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

3.81/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Picked up a bomber from TW Arrowhead 3-12-17 for $7.99. Bottled on 1-31-17.

Beer poured a murky orange-brown with a lovely white head that is leaving lacing. Strange coloring is from the berry fruit additions.

Nose is herbal and fruity forward, very fresh.

Taste is very bitter with some herbal notes. Very little fruit profile in the taste.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and very smooth.

Overall this beer is all over the place. Way too bitter in the finish as this is a flashback to the abrasive days of brewing. Recipe has potential but is not quite there.

4.18/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Give Me IPA Or Give Me Death from Stone Brewing