Give Me IPA Or Give Me Death | Stone Brewing

Give Me IPA Or Give Me DeathGive Me IPA Or Give Me Death

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Just as Patrick Henry once stood addressing the city of Richmond in 1775 to spur resistance against the tyrannical British Empire, 20 years ago we were stirred to join the cry for resistance against the tyrannical oppression of industrial beer. And now, the opening of our Richmond brewery is yet another shot in the salvo that has been fired on behalf of American brewing independence. If we wish to brew free, if we mean to retain our identity and preserve the privilege of access to independent craft beer, we must recognize it is a group effort. We do not stand alone. And so, on our new brewing grounds, we gathered with fellow craft breweries and “His Excellency,” Governor McAuliffe, to join together in force. A group cry of freedom & independence! Consider this aggressively hopped imperial IPA, jam-packed with Virginia raspberries and blackberries, a testament to our passion and unwillingness to settle or sell out! We think Patrick Henry would be proud, and hope you will be too.

Added by BarryMFBurton on 02-11-2017

Reviews by ambruns1979:
3.96/5  rDev +1%

4.09/5  rDev +4.3%

It is the auspicious occasion of the devilish New Beer Sunday (Week 666) & I started the day with some Voodoo (Ranger), but now I have decided to see what Stone's gargoyle, a product of the nether regions, to be sure, has to offer on this delightfully wicked day.

From the bottle: "Virginia Commemorative Collaboration"; "An India Pale Ale brewed with Raspberries & Blackberries from the Commonwealth of Virginia"; "An Imperial tribute to Richmond & the rise of craft beer independence"; "Just as Patrick Henry once stood addressing the city of Richmond in 1775 to spur resistance against the tyrannical British Empire, 20 years ago we were stirred to join the cry for resistance against the tyrannical oppression of industrial beer. And now, the opening of our Richmond brewery is yet another shot in the salvo that has been fired on behalf of American brewing independence. If we wish to brew free, if we mean to retain our identity and preserve the privilege of access to independent craft beer, we must recognize it is a group effort. We do not stand alone. And so, on our new brewing grounds, we gathered with fellow craft breweries and 'His Excellency,' Governor McAuliffe, to join together in force. A group cry of freedom & independence! Consider this aggressively hopped imperial IPA, jam-packed with Virginia raspberries and blackberries, a testament to our passion and unwillingness to settle or sell out! We think Patrick Henry would be proud, and hope you will be too."; "Our Collaborators[:] Ardent Craft Ales Richmond, VA[;] Hardywood Park Craft Brewery Richmond, VA[;] His Excellency Terry McAuliffe Virginia Governor". As to the latter: WOW! Just wow.

I Pop!ped the cap & having decided to once again go with a slow, gentle pour due to the amount of liquid involved (22-fl. oz), I still got two fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, light-tan head with great retention. Wow. Color was a magnificent Coppery-Brown (SRM = > 17, < 22) with NE-quality clarity & deep-amber highlights. Nose did not smell like a DIPA, but instead, like my late-paternal grandmother's kitchen when she & I would make raspberry preserves with fruit from her garden. 8=)

I loved cooking & home CANning & I was way ahead when I took HomeEc Foods in high school. My drinking buddy, Chef Monty, and I were JUST debating the merits of jammy beers on Friday & he is not a fan while I like them MUCH more than some that use herbs & spices and taste (to me) like I just got a mouthful from the atomizer in the perfume section at the department store. Ugh. I like it when fruit imparts a fruit flavor in my beer & if it is as intense as "jammy", then so be it!

Now, that is not to suggest that this was a sweet beer. Both of the fruits involved (usually) impart a tartness, which was the case here. I am not sure that I would have recognized it as a DIPA, but it was definitely a Fruit Beer. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but on the approach. The taste was very evocative of both raspberries and blackberries and that was just fine by me. I am an unapologetic, self-described, self-avowed hophead & I love what hops do for beer, but if the fruits want to take the spotlight, I am in favor thereof. All of that said, there was a pronounced pine-mint coolness on the finish, reminding me that at its base, it was a DIPA. Phew! I may need to take my foot off of the gas after this one.

4.44/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a Stone can glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep amber orange. Moderate amount of bubbles and a solid finger of off white head that slowly settles into a thin creamy layer.

Smell: A juicy and dank hop driven aroma with a scent of citrus, pine, and berries. Upfront citrus hop scent of orange peel, grapefruit, tangerine, passion fruit, tangerine, mango, and lemon with pineapple. Earthy hop scent of grass, pine, and cannabis. Nice berry presence with some hints of blackberries and raspberry. Malt hints of caramel, grains, and cracker with yeast. A pretty good aroma.

Taste: Like it smells, a juicy and earthy hop driven taste with notes of citrus, pine, and berries. Upfront citrus hop notes of grapefruit, orange peel, mango, tangerine, lemon, and passion fruit with some pineapple. Earthy hop notes of pine resin and grass. Nice fruity notes of blackberry and raspberry. Background malt notes of caramel, cracker, and grains along with some yeast. A very good juicy taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied with a moderate level of carbonation. Juicy, oily, and drying. Alcohol is hidden well.

Overall: Another very good IPA from Stone. The berries add a nice touch to the citrus hop notes.

4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

3.71/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.4/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Stone Brewing "Give Me IPA Or Give Me Death"
22 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, "BOTTLED RVA 01/31/17"
$5.89 @ Pletcher's Beer Distributor, State College, PA

Notes via stream of consciousness: So I'm very late to this beer, it's 195 days old, but I thought it was a good deal and Stone has never let me down so I bought it; and maybe it'll be a good evaluation of how it ages. There's a beautiful rocky cap of tan atop a hazy deep mahogany brown body with golden-orange highlights at the base of the glass. Nice looking pint. The head retention is quite impressive. There's some fruit in the nose, not much, but there's fruit added, let me see... raspberries and blackberries... and I think I'm finding more blackberry than raspberry but I guess they're both there. There's also some pine, a hint of citrus (mainly orange), and darkly caramelish malt. The flavor delivers more maltiness and hops, but the fruit remains, appearing midway but then more clearly in the finish. The malt has some brown sugar character to it, but also some darker, almost burnt sugar as well. The hops remain piney, lots of pine, but they're also a bit herbal, especially in the lingering finish; and that's where the fruit mainly appears, and I find it lingering on the tip of my tongue. There's some other berry-like fruitiness there as well, and I'm not sure if that's from the yeast or from some hops. It's also solidly bitter, quite the Stone way of doing things, and that brings it to a dry conclusion (well, along with the pine). I'd guess it's 80 IBUs but don't hold me to that. Looking back, I've still got an almost completely solid surface covering, and the lacing is quite nice. Given the color I'm not sure I'd have labeled it as an IPA though, "strong ale" might fit it better, but then the whole "Give Me IPA Or Give Me Death" thing falls apart. Medium bodied and crisp. Overall not bad. I'd imagine it's lost some fruitiness, particularly from the citrusy hops, but it doesn't seem dull. Of course I'll never know because I've never had it fresh. I've enjoyed it though. I'm on the fence as to whether or not I think it should have more raspberry and blackberry to it. It might be nice to have more, but at the same time it's there and makes a clear contribution as-is, while maintaining a synergy that seems to work. It reminds me in a way of Titanic Brewing's Plum Porter in the general blend of fruit and malt. Any more I think would over-do it. And I guess along those lines I'm on the fence about the bitterness as well, but if it was less bitter would the fruit and malt come out more and let it morph into a flabby mess? I shouldn't say flabby, it wouldn't get that bad, but the bold bitterness certainly let's you know it's an IPA and cuts through it. And then there's the pine. For myself I'd prefer less but it still works. Ahh, I think it's pretty damned tasty. Not the best, but quite good. If I had the opportunity now I'd buy another bottle or two given the price I paid, and have a half a bottle a night as a nightcap while reading before bed. It makes a good sipper, and I prefer it once it's warmed a bit.

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.23/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.16/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a hazed caramel color with a thumb of tan head. Insane lacing almost as impressive head retention

S: Grassy, weedy & berries once warm

T: Follows the nose, bready & dry up front. Raspberry & blackberry, also adding bitterness & sweetness creep in as it warms, along with weedy & herbal hops, plus pine & just a little grapefruit. Finishes with berry sweetness, a little grapefruit & cattyness, plus breadyness& a kiss of mango

MF: Firm carbonation & fairly chewy, great balance

Very tasty, this worked far better than I thought it would; drinkable as can be

3.98/5  rDev +1.5%

3.23/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.62/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.59/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.08/5  rDev +4.1%

4.24/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

BOTTLED RVA 01/31/17

Deep hazy plum-tinted caramel hue with the typically great, thick, soapy tan head that sticks nicely. Dank, oily hop aromas blend with dark, jammy berries. Spicy pine resin, herbs, and grapefruit rind. Flavor is fruitier in the hop department adding more citrus and tropical fruit to the continued resinous spicy dankness and subtle earthy berries. Some toasty malt sweetness. Heavier than medium-bodied, but not too syrupy. Well made.

4.29/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a dark coppery amber with a fine, two finger light khaki head with great retention and great lacing. Aroma of piney and citrus hops, caramel malt, light green onion. Flavor is caramel malt, sharp piney hops with a little citrus, with a mild berry flavor developing just before a resinous, deep piney hop finish. Medium bodied with good creaminess and mouth feel. A typical high alpha oil IPA from Stone with a good pine forward hop bill with good herbal flavors and support from the malt. The berry flavors are somewhat overwhelmed by the hops, but lightly detectable in the finish and add a nice, interesting element. Nice lingering hop flavors in the finish.

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

22 oz. bottle, BOTTLED RVA 01/31/17 in Richmond, Virginia.

Poured into a Central Waters snifter.

A - Pours dark, with reddish-purpleish hues giving the impression that this thing has just been infused with blackberry and raspberry puree. Finger or so of frothy soapy off-white colored head that lingers, leaving good spotty scattered lacing. Looks excellent.

S - Aroma is big, fresh, fruity, & hoppy- lots of pine, resin, & bitterness, paired with authentically juicy berry fruit juice / puree. Smells very gummy and delicious, to be damn sure.

T - Taste follows the nose: jam packed with fruity berry, gummy. Slight alcohol bite amidst fresh floral, piney hop flavors.

4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

A - dark amber almost red color. Mildly hazy. Big fluffy off white head leaves a nice lacing.
S - big hop resin, pine, grapefruit
T - big hop resin, ganja, dank, garlic onion in a good way, pine, grapefruit, orange peel
M - medium mouthfeel, alc covered, aftertaste is grapefruit and pine
O - good beer but definitely fits the mold of a stone beer. I'd really like to see them branch out a bit. Everything is always very hop resiny with pine and grapefruit being the main notes

4.18/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.83/5  rDev -2.3%