Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2006 | Stone Brewing

Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2006Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2006

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Barleywine

Availability: Spring

Added by WebmasterMike on 03-02-2006

3.46/5  rDev -16.4%

What is going on with this beer?

I don't know what it is about the Old Guardian series, but none of them taste like any of the others, as far as I can tell.

This beer either was significantly less hoppy than the 07 and 08 versions, or the hops have been obliterated by the aging process. The result is an almost cloyingly malty/sweet beer, with a tinge of pine hops and maybe a hint of floral hop aroma.

Just not sure what to make of this.

3.68/5  rDev -11.1%

Had this against the '04 last night the review for the '04 is also posted. '04 won in every category accept appearance in my book but this will be much better with a couple years to settle down.

Very clean vibrant amber/copper color. Slightly less frothy head and lacing than it's brother from '04 but much prettier.

Cleaner more distinct hop aromas, a little brown sugar, and less malt noticeable. Not as delicate as the '04.

Subdued complexity overall compared with the '04. When I tried this in the bottle I thought the '06 was less hoppy and thinner bodied than the previous vintages I'd tried from bottle ('04, '05 withouth aging). But compared with the 2 year old '04 the '06 seemed like a monster. This was much more hoppy with a bitter caramel component, and toffee in the mid palate. Very clean tasting but after trying the '04 cellared for 2 years I would'nt touch a bottle till at least '07.

Drinkability was hit once again because of the high alcohol factor.

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

4.37/5  rDev +5.6%

Review # 666!
I decided for such a review I'd better not tempt fate in light of my usual luck, so I went for the protection that only a Stone gargoyle could provide from such potential bad mojo.

Big-ass silkscreened bomber that states it was an early 2006 release. Purchased for $4.99 at Daanen's in Hayden, Idaho (I think) around the time it was brand new.

Poured a hazy dark amber color that takes on a slightly brighter hue when held up to light. ¾ of an inch of bubbly beige foam sits on top initially, but rapidly recedes to a sudsy collar. Spotty lace.

Caramel tinged malts and spicy hops greet the nostrils. There's some citrusy and raisiny scents floating around as well.

Caramel sweetness is what first greets the tastebuds, but it's almost immediately paired with a spicy hop blast. I've heard that this is something of a hop monster when fresh. Over three years of aging has no doubt decreased the hop impact, but it's still present to a degree that melds well with the malts. There's some toasted malts and a mild flavor of dark fruit as well. A big dry note smacks the palate at the swallow. As this beer warms up, the belly finds itself being increasingly warmed by the growing booziness of the beer.

Relatively full bodied, with a sticky, resiny mouthfeel. The carbonation correctly keeps things from seeming too leaden.

A great nightcap beer to the point where I wished I'd saved it for such a use. It worked out well as a beer for post-work mellowing, however. I'll just have to put off making dinner until the buzz decreases!

4.29/5  rDev +3.6%

Deep, somewhat cloudy orange in color. Huge nose of dried fruit-apricots and figs come to mind. Very malty up front. Slick and viscous flavors of fruit, malt and alcohol. Very heavily hopped. Big, wet, slick grapefruit flavors. Loose some of the alcohol to round it off a bit more-aging would do that I am sure. Good body-pleasant tongue stripping quality to it. Very drinakble and enjoyable barleywine. It has been a year-a few more would calm this down into a real gem. Get some/horde some.

4.12/5  rDev -0.5%

On tap this past weekend at Deep Ellum. Was just about to settle the bill, when I saw the bartender put a new tap handle on that said "2006 Old Guard.". So I had to stay for one more. I got the first one from the keg. Poured into a Unibroue chalice. Dark orange amber color. Smelled a bit hot with alcohol, but the hop burn called to me. Tasted pretty darn good. Very mellow flavor. Not as hoppy as the smell would indicate. Alcohol hit your palate though, but with a gentle fist. Great combo of hops and booziness. So glad we stayed for one more beer. If they changed taps 15 minutes later, I would have missed it.

4.28/5  rDev +3.4%

Bomber poured into a goblet, Deep-red amber 1" thick white head, dissipated fast, nearly totally gone within a few minutes.

Smells seriously roasty and sugary. Hickory smoked with honey and a slight hop.

SWEEET malts, like honey. An early hop bitterness and some slight earth greens, maybe green peppers.

Light body, Thick full taste, sweetness resonates on the palate, mellow herbal greens take over later.

Powerful stuff, big ABV%, two MAX!!

4.45/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Striking screen print label explains Limited early 2006 release, 11.26% ABV with decorative fonts.

Pours with a light polished copper hue containing a few rising bubbles to a thick 1/2" solid island of spotty craggy beige coating. Some solid lace holds firm. A rather bright color for an American Barley wine.

Perky scents of caramel and hard candy malts with an impressive array of hop balance. Solid sturdy scents of beer ingreients that state bold sugar and malt bomb all the way. A tad of cherry fruit and bubble gum in the fruity mix of aromas.

First swigs: Rich sugar meld of hard sugar rock candy that just oozes clean American barley wine. Tricky flavor that would beguile the most discerning tastebuds. The hops create a swiggable big barleywine to crazy proportions. All the pear and apple fruit in the world is in here.

Feel is gentle with a subtle restrained carbonation. This one is ready to go! No cellaring needed. Gawd! Fresh barleywines can be awesome!

Last swigs: To assuage my personal tastes I'd pump a tad more malt backing along the lines of a SNBF and this is golden! It's tasty as it is.

Beer is good. Happy American barleywie beering.

3.82/5  rDev -7.7%

My first dive into the old guardian series. I admit it the barley wine style was one of the last styles that I learned to enjoy. I'd always found them so wildly ranging in taste that it was a complete crapshoot. The Old Guardian is the one that brought me back and the 2006 version to me, as a novice, is exceptional.

An aggressive pour produces a nice sized eggshell white head that sits atop a copper body, with decent spider web like lacing. Any hop bitterness seems to wait until very late in the game to make its presence felt but when it does they are sharp and clean up nicely. Caramel, or rather more of a dark rich sugary quality makes up the jist of it, although there are subtle complexity that keeps me interested. The hop presence actually crispen this brew up quite a bit. Warming is evident, red cheeks wouldn't suprise folks who have that sensitivity.

I would say that this leans toward the malted, sweet side of the wide ranging style. Mouthfeel is a bit on the syrupy, rich side as well. I picked up 24 bottles and plan on sampling one every couple of months. So far this is my 2nd bomber sampled and its growing on me. Solid offering, well brewed.

Appearance: Clear reddish orange with a good head.

Smell: Smells like an alcohol-soaked sweet muffin.

Taste: Toffee, caramel, some alcohol bite, peppery, earthy bitterness.

Drinkability: A little strong to have more than one.

This has been sitting in my fridge for about 11 months. The hop bitterness seems to have almost disappeared. This is still a quite interesting beer, hopefully Stone starts distributing here soon.

4.4/5  rDev +6.3%

Happened to notice this is review #500 for me. Pours a full finger of yellow-tan head over a clear rust-colored liquid (has some red character, too). The beer holds some fine particulates and has three streamers racing to the top. Smells richly of caramel in a creamy, smooth, and wet sweet disposition. Hops are much less than I was expecting. Oranges with a hint of pine. Tastes wonderful. Wet sweet malty. Caramel, chocolate, biscuit. Leaves the mouth feeling like I've eaten cotton candy. Hops are gentle orange-like and mix with the alcohol such that I can't define a boundary between the two. Rough alcohol bite on the sides of my tongue. Not fusel, but grassy. It's well hidden by the malt, IMO. The aftertaste shows the alcohol stronger and serves to dry the experience. Thick mouthfeel is creamy smooth and modestly carbonated. Delicious. Buzz...yeah. Drinkable...yeah. I'd have another except i eager to keep the bottle in my cellar in my cellar

Honestly, I was reluctant to open a 2006 bottle this fresh. I find American BWines to be quite offensive when fresh...so much so that I tend to avoid the style altogether. This beer, however, was quite nice. Yet another fine offering from Stone. With this, I am convinced. There only only three breweries that have successfully transitioned to large micro brewery. Bell's, New Belgium, and Stone. My future dream is that, someday, these three breweries will be the 'big three' in America...displacing AB, Miller, and Coors.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Shared this one with my father while watching the extended "Return of the King". He really liked it.

This one was a lovely amber color, clear, with a half finger head. What a barley wine should be.

Aroma was slightly sweet, fruity malt, a bit musty. Alcohol was noticeable in the nose.

The flavor washed over the tongue so easily... strong malt, a trace of mustiness, slightly sweet, with a hint of pine-like hoppiness. No alcohol in the flavor... very deceptive!

Mouthfeel was quite chewy, thick and syrupy. It went down really smooth.

Drinkability was very nice. I will have to get one and cellar it for a year or two. Dang, I am running out of cellaring space in my cabinet!

4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

This 2006 barrel was on tap at Three Floyds. I just happened to ask if was the 2010 and was pleased to hear it was the 2006! Had to try it.

Served in a goblet styled chalice.

Pours a nice coppery hued golden orange color with a tanned head and sticky clumps of lace. Smells sweet and malty with enough of a hop presence-- citrus and slight pine-- to make you know it's still an American barleywine as oppesed to the British style. A nice caramel malt flavor presents with a great smoothness... Mouthfeel is perfect. Smooth would be the one word to describe this beer at this moment.

3.87/5  rDev -6.5%

Deep copper/amber hue, very clear, with only a thin head. The malt aroma is very sweet and caramel-like, with the hops more in the background. A bit of alcohol fume in the nose also. The flavor is rich and alcoholic too. Lots of sugary caramel flavor with notes of raisin and dark fruits. The hops are present but don't seem to jump out at me like I would expect from a Stone brew. The mouthfeel is medium in thickness, maybe a bit syrupy, with a nice subtle carbonation. This a solid choice, but perhaps a bit strong and malty sweet for my palate...

3.53/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Spring 2006

A - Pours murky amber copper with 2 fingers of head and a touch of lacing.

S - Very malty with caramel and apricot. Some raisin, tropical fruit and alcohol is also present.

T - Malty with caramel and toffee. Malt forward with citrus grapefruit hoppyness.

M - Medium to thick with sticky almost syrupy mouthfeel. Light carbonation.

D - Very drinkable for the abv but I was expectingmore from Stone.

3.77/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on draft at Zeno's in State College, PA, 03/06.

From notes:
Smells are aromatic; dried fruits with hints of hops and an ever so slight medicinal alcohol smell. Presentation with minimal head, possibly a delay from the tap to my seat. The first sips mimic the smell. Hints of raisins and prunes with a finish of a slight hops and alcohol. Further into the glass, the fruity notes disappear and the alochol presence takes over. A good barleywine representation lacking full depth in my opinion.

4.4/5  rDev +6.3%

This year is my first in trying Barley Wines.
Ok...I like them...and enjoy the differences between them.
This old Guardian is surprisingly smooth...
Pours a med redish orange with a small head that ends up very fine lacing.
Aroma is only lightly hops....heavier on citrus and toasted malts.
Mouthfeel is pleasant with it's very fine carbonation.
Taste is slight orange....a little toasty...then nice hop bitterness ending in a grapefruit tang. Nice alcohol warming on the finish.
I enjoyed this one and was surprised at it's mild smoothness with no aging. I can definately drink this one "green" and will be interested in how it matures (If I can restrain myself enough to cellar some for a year.

4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

This is the first, and to my knowledge only, Barley Wine style ale I have ever tried. This beer is a nice amber color with a glow. A big thick white head forms when poured that lasts 5 minutes, maybe longer. After that a bit of a head lingers for quite some time. Bread dough and malt are the strongest smells in this brew followed by alcohol. The taste is somewhat bitter yet sweet and the same time, even a bit salty and a taste of some crisp and maybe even roasted hops. There is a dry mouthfeel and aftertaste with moderate carbonation. After a few sips you start to feel warm inside. Not the most drinkable of beers I have had, but enjoyable nontheless. This is the type of beer that should take someone at least an hour to enjoy the whole thing. I can't see myself drinking this quickly or drinking more than one a time. The 11.26% alcohol per volume level starts to hit you after a few sips. I have now had this particular beer 3 times. I do not believe I like it as much now as I did the first time I tried it back about 2 months ago right when this year's batch had just hit the shelves. For whatever reason it tasted much sweeter to me the first time I tried and I thought it was quite possibly the best beer I had ever tasted. Anyone have ideas as to why that might be? Can 2 months of shelf life really effect or change the taste of a beer of this caliber that much? I still enjoyed my most recent bottle of it, but not to the same degree that I did the first time trying this beer. At any rate I shall have to try some other brands of Barley Wines so I have something to compare Stone's to.

Eric

4.58/5  rDev +10.6%

22oz. bomber bottle with this really nice silk screened picture of their symbol, the Stone Gargoyle holding a picture of beer on the front. On the back (also silk screened) was this novel of what I would call rambling. The whole back of the bottle is small letters was this story. The whole story is only a couple of words short of the entire book of War & Peace. :-) If you have time to spare, then you can read the back of the bottle. Still a really nice looking bottle.

Appearance: When poured into my Snifter, the beer was this beautiful dark ruby color with just a splash of orange in there as well. I only got just a sliver of a white head of foam and even that dissipated fast leaving only a few rings and no lace.

Smell: The aroma had a huge helping of sweet malts in the front, some citrus fruits in the middle, the grapefruit being the most predominate, and nice fair aroma of piney hops in the background. Very Nice!

Taste: There's alot going on in this beer, it's not one dimensional of just strong alcohol, this beer had a lot more going for it. The initial taste was that of sweet caramel, then some sweet malts, and then after all the sweetness came this nice not too strong citrus fruits flavor. It's not done after that. After all that came this pleasant piney hops flavor. Not too strong of hops, just right for me. I expected this strong alcohol taste, but none of that was there in the taste.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, smooth, some carbonation, and this is where I detected just a slight hint of alcohol. I'm still surprised that this beer clocks in at 11.2%ABV. I really can't feel the alcohol.

Drinkability: This is a beer that I would buy again and probably will. A surprisingly smooth beer that's probably only good once in a while.

Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2006 from Stone Brewing