21st Anniversary Hail To the Hop Thief | Stone Brewing

21st Anniversary Hail To the Hop Thief21st Anniversary Hail To the Hop Thief

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

The big wide world inspires our imagination and fuels our passions. Anything from music, film, beer, literature, architecture, food, engineering, poetry…all art forms essentially, including more beer. We steal with any and all things that possess the one value that we hold most dear: authenticity. The important thing of course is that ‘It’s not where you take things from – it’s where you take them to.’ So, what are we saying about this beer, exactly? We gave it our take. We took all there is to love about the IPA, got creative, dry-hopped it a lot, left it unfiltered and shared it openly in the hopes that in some way it may, in turn, inspire you. Hail to The Hop Thief, an original.

Added by JVStabile64 on 08-05-2017

Reviews by jaxon53:
3.93/5  rDev -1%

4.08/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours into an imperial nonic a burnt orange infused golden with a full thick one finger white head that leaves multiple"globs" behind as it settles into a soapy-like mass.Tangerine and orange just bum rush the nose with a slight grasisness detected as well,just full on juicy fruits.Much more resiny then expected on the palate,pine and grapefruit with a touch of sweet onion and then some of the tangerine sweetness in the back end.Quite a hop profile,alot going on here with the alcohol/sweetness never taking over.

4.02/5  rDev +1.3%

Copper color. Modest- sized white head that quickly dissipated. A bit of lace.
Pine and citrus aroma. Sweet malt
Grapefruit and pine resin. Caramel.
Balanced.
Bottled 7/27/17
Enjoy by 10/25/17

3.82/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.12/5  rDev +3.8%

"21 Anniversary Hail To The Hop Thief Double IPA"
22 fl. oz. bomber bottle, "RVA (?) 07/27/17 EJBY 10/25/17"

Pours with a medium haze, typical amber, leaves LOADS of high quality looking fine bubble sheeting...nice looking beer

Pine/citrus/melon sniff.

Full flavor IPA, mostly I get an old school, west coast character here, heavy grapefruit and pine coming through, but it also has some melon, orange and more tropical intentions lurking in the back ground...so that adds up to complex, boldly flavorful and intriguing...large shoulders and quite heady stuff at almost 10%...well worth a try

3.78/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.01/5  rDev +1%

3.72/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Copper colored with a quarter inch of beige on top. Heavy lacing. The aroma is of piney hops and overripe watermelon, but honestly I expected more and kept sniffing away. I'm tasting that overripe tropical fruit with banana and overripe watermelon. The mouth is lightly sticky and chewy.

4.1/5  rDev +3.3%

4.24/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.27/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.9/5  rDev -1.8%

3.95/5  rDev -0.5%

3.75/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.09/5  rDev +3%

2.91/5  rDev -26.7%

22oz bottle served in pint glass. Beer is mid-orange amber and forms a tall and thick head. Aroma is immediately fruity and suggests phenol -- not what I was expecting in a Stone IPA, and a "special" one at that. First sip encompasses my mouth with astringency to the point of discomfort. I'm still not sure what happened with the dry hops here, but there's a lot of IBUs and alcohol to be sure. If I pucker and concentrate I can pick out flavors of peach or stone fruit. But this is a strong and aggressively flavored Double IPA. Yes, in the word of Data, I hate this.

4.31/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Stone Brewing "21 Anniversary Hail To The Hop Thief Double IPA"
22 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, "RVA 07/27/17 EJBY 10/25/17" and sampled on 08/24/17
$5.75 @ Pletcher's Beer Distributor, State College, PA

Notes via stream of consciousness: Wow, what a great quote on the back label: "...we steal with profligate audacity any and all things that possess the one indefatigable value that we hold most dear: authenticity." Haha! It get's better, I originally thought that was Greg Koch writing and I was going to say that he must be a true artist because only an artist understands the work so clearly. Then I find out that was a quote from someone else? So who was it? I have no clue. I'd go with Jackson Pollock if I had to guess. But I appreciate the idea behind the beer. So, what about the beer? Resinous in the nose, not too strong, and tropically fruity with some mango and citrus. There's some caramelish and toasty malt as well. It's not too bright, but it's clean and fresh and welcoming. The appearance leaves a little left to be desired with a short head of creamy off-white fading steadily over a mostly clear but particulate filled gold and amber body. I personally don't mind the chunks, but some might, and from a technical perspective it's not good. However, there is an authenticity to it. The flavor pretty much follows the aroma: sweet golden and medium caramel malt with a bit of a bready and toasty side, tropical and citrusy hop flavors, some piney hop flavors, a bit of an herbal and even minty side, and a median bitterness given the girth of the malt. It's bitter in the finish, yes, but there's balance and a mostly dry finish, but it's not an aggressive bitterness (raspy or biting), just a balancing finish. Most of the double IPAs that I prefer follow that rule. On the other hand, I might like a little more hop out of it - wrong! - just as I wrote those words I got a dollop of sweet honeyish malt and orange-y hops that was a lot like orange marmalade and I have to retract that last sentence as there's plenty of hop there! Plenty of malt as well. And enough alcohol. You can feel it. It doesn't jump out at you though or grab you by the throat. It's there with a pleasant soft burn in the background. It's not spicy, it's just showing its strength. That gives it balance just as much as the bitterness does. Ahhh, it's nice. I think this is really good. It's a great sipper. It's so rich and full up front that you almost can't even handle it, and then it somehow becomes even more, even fuller and more open in the lingering finish. Looking back, the head has died down to a fairly thick collar but it's also left wide sheets of dotted lace across half of the glass. Impressive. That balances the poor appearance of the particulate in suspension to a certain extent. Medium leaning towards medium-full in body based on its dextrinous character. Gently crisp and then smooth across the palate, particularly as it warms; and then a bit warming as well as the alcohol comes forth. Very nicely done in my opinion. It's a great sipper. I'd easily take this at night before bed while I'm reading as opposed to a barley wine or Belgian quad. Superb.

p.s. - I don't know who added the information from the back of the bottle label to the notes listed here on BA but they screwed up the quote I started on about at the beginning of my review and it makes no sense as it is - read the full quote as I've copied it. And they've also left out the beginning and the end. I'm not an editor here, but if you can't fit it all in you should just skip it rather than giving it a hatchet job.

3.57/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours an effervescent amber with one finger of cream colored head. Good lacing & head retention

S: Some tangerine

T: Tangerine & pomelo, plus dryness & cattyness up front, almost minty up front. Bready sweetness & tangerine as this warms, along with pine & dryness. Finishes catty, with a little pomelo & breadyness

MF: Medium body, firm carbonation, decent balance

Drinks easy, but honestly I was expecting way more. Probably one of the least memorable beers I've had from them in awhile

3.87/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.18/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.49/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.37/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

First off I'm a huge stone fan....but this one misses the mark for me. It's very hoppy but the sweetness and alcohol over powers everything in this one.

4.36/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

21st Anniversary Hail To the Hop Thief from Stone Brewing