Hop Revolver IPA - Herkules | Stone Brewing

Style: American IPA

Added by Lovetx on 01-19-2018

3.53/5  rDev +36.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Has a lager aftertasre, no pine and very little citrus, I get malts and a lager aftertaste

1.4/5  rDev -45.9%

Beer looks fine, aroma of steamed broccoli or gas passed after eating steam broccoli. Tastes like an IPA with tablespoon of garlic and onion salt added. First IPA I've ever drainpoured. I want my money back.

3.17/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.7/5  rDev +42.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I had to pick up a single one of these after reading all the reviews. I didn’t expect much from it. But I was pleasantly surprised at how much better it actually was.

LOOK: Light golden amber color , not hazy

SMELL: pine, Hops, Citrus and Malt with hints of floral notes.

Taste: The taste was actually quite nice, not to boozy, nice amounts of citrus with a malt backbone and a nice Bitter Finish.

Feel Not to heavy, lightly carbonated

Overall: This beer was actually quite good a Solid B for me. Mine was bottled on 4/25/18. Pretty fresh. I would buy again.

3.26/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

1.7/5  rDev -34.4%

I hate to have my first review to be a negative one, but I felt compelled to share my thoughts.

If you loved steamed cabbage, boiled broccoli, and/or the taste of a rotting raccoon carcass who just devoured a sunday lunch buffet from a Golden Corral, Well do I have the beer for you!

I truly recommend this beer to any parent who hopes to discourage their child from drinking.

3.25/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.1/5  rDev -18.9%

First - I LOVE Stone Brewing. Stone is my "go to" brewery to slake my craving for IPAs. I would rate just about anything they do as 4/5 or 5/5. But this...

Definitely don't judge Stone by this beer, but I have no idea how this passed. It literally smells/tastes like something dead or rotten. Mine was not skunked, all others in the 12 pack (assortment) were great. This was terrible. I'll obviously keep buying Stone. But not until enough time has lapsed for this series of Hop Revolver to get off the shelves.

Sorry for the harsh review Stone, I still love you, and you still get 90% of my beer money.

1.23/5  rDev -52.5%

I thought I was crazy. I have had many Stone Brewery beers and 99% have been good beers. I received a few of these Hop Revolver IPAs with Herkules with an assorted pack, I could not believe the taste, aroma and after taste. I actually thought a dead animal had fallen into the wart. Seriously, thought of a dead mouse. I tried all of them, and wow, all the same. I know we all taste and smell thing differently, but this one is just bad to me. I poured all of them down the drain after tasting each one. I really thought something was wrong and was afraid that I might get sick. But after reading all these reviews, I realize it was just a bad tasting batch. Sorry Stone Brewery, I did not mean to be so harsh, but burn the recipe :)

1.67/5  rDev -35.5%

Goes great with veggie pizza with extra broccoli.

1.16/5  rDev -55.2%

What everyone else said. I am also a long time Stone fan. I can’t even begin to think about how much of their beer I’ve drunk, or how much money I’ve spent on their beers in my lifetime. It’s a lot. But this stuff? This is bad beer. Seriously. It’s awful. The taste? Imagine steaming up some cabbage in a little bit of the water that’s left in the steamer after cooking broccoli in the microwave and then covering it and letting sit for a while, and then adding it to an old bottle of average beer. Something bad happened with this one and I’m eager to find out what’s gone wrong. Don’t let my review keep you from buying other Stone beers. They’re usually outstanding. But do let this be yet another warning about this beer.

1.12/5  rDev -56.8%

Absolutely un drinkable. Thought I had a skunked one in 1st 12 pack. Wife bought another 12 pack about a month later. Took a beer to my neighbor he couldnt drink it either. Unbelievable. Not sure what Stone was thinking....

3.2/5  rDev +23.6%

Not what I expected. It's quite tame for a Stone IPA. Not overly hoppy. Has a malty finish. If you're looking for a good Stone IPA this isn't it but overall it's not a bad beer.

1.49/5  rDev -42.5%

A: crystal clear; deep gold in color; 2 finger off white head that receded to a thick cap; nice lacing;

S: Herkules should have a fruity, peppery, spicy, pine aroma; there is spice and a hint of citrus, but like other reviewers, I have to presume that this is not what Stone intended to brew; I can't quite place the aroma, but let's just say it's unpleasant;

T: see above;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation; lightly dry finish;

O: if this was a small, local brewery, I probably wouldn't have written a review, but Stone should know better and have the resources to drain pour this before it got to me;

1.38/5  rDev -46.7%

I thought perhaps there was a new hop variety (Herkules) that should be burnt before it could be used, but something happened with this batch of beer. There is no way that this beer is supposed to taste like this.

It smelled like actual rotten garbage, and somehow tasted even worse. I tried to tell myself it was intentional but no brewery (particularly one I love as much as Stone) would intentionally make something this bad.

3.58/5  rDev +38.2%

This is not as bad as the reviews suggest. It is quite vegetal, and onion like, but it is not a bad beer. It ends up being a passable part of the 12 pack. Becomes better as it warms up, as the off flavors get supplanted by a malt backbone. I wouldn't go out of my to seek it out, but I know a drain pour, and this ain't it.

Can I give this beer a 0? I usually love Stone beers and have visited both of their locations in southern Cal. I agree with all other reviewers who mentioned the bad veggie odor and terrible taste. Cannot believe Stone allowed this to hit the shelves.

1.38/5  rDev -46.7%

I love every other Stone beer I have ever had and enjoyed the Simcoe revolver thoroughly...but I agree that this is the worst beer I have ever had. Seriously, it's worth trying it just to see how bad beer can get. It smells like Brussels sprouts, tastes ok, then more Brussels sprouts as an aftertaste. I will forever be a patron of Stone, but will pour the rest of this awful product down the drain.

Because this beer is so bad, I even gave the Look a 1 to stress how bad this beer is. DO NOT buy the 24 pack it comes in, because you're only getting 18 drinkable beers, and you will want to toss these 6 out (I would not even give them to a desperate alcoholic). Their other Revolvers were not too shabby. What is Stone even thinking by putting this beer out? From now on, I'll be thinking twice come beer buying decision time when Stone is in the mix. Some one should be fired.

3.36/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.9/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

1.49/5  rDev -42.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 1.25

This is my first BA review, and it happens to be for the worst beer I've ever had from Stone. The taste is very much of rotten garlic at the back of the throat and plastic right up front. Mine was bottled on 2/26/18 and I bought it chilled. The taste and smell completely overtake anything positive that could be said about this beer. I am a big fan of Stone, so I have no idea how this made it out to the public. I really wish I would have checked other reviews before taking a chance on this, but it was a Stone product, so I had no hesitation. Lesson learned. It's going to be a sad event when I pour the rest of these bottles out, but I can't put another ounce of this anywhere near my mouth.

4.16/5  rDev +60.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Not sure why all the hate, maybe others kept their beer in there trunks or near a heater for too long causing it to skunk. I really enjoyed this, feel on your tongue is pleasant, after taste is decent. I’d not only buy again but also reccomend to friends. Can’t stress enough this ISN’T THE WORST BEER EVER like some have reported. Stone continues to draw me in and keep my taste buds happy. Lastly, I paired with a small pour of Jamison’s Cask IPA and who my, ridiculous. Cheers.

1.09/5  rDev -57.9%

I made an account to review this. This is the worst beer I have ever tasted, hands down, no contest. Do NOT buy this. I can't believe this is a Stone product, as I have liked everything they have put out. I have always bought Stone beer with confidence because I knew I was getting something, at WORST, slightly above average. Because I don't want to get in trouble with Beeradvocate, I will discuss the beer's attributes:

Look - Looks fine. Golden like your standard San Diego IPA, except perhaps a bit more pale
Smell - Smells like boiled garbage/cabbage/broccoli. Awful
Taste - Undrinkable. Like acid or garbage. I can't get the taste out of my mouth. I had to eat pickled ginger to get rid of it.
Mouthfeel - I can't tell, I seriously spit it out so fast I don't have any take aways
Overall - Awful.

EDIT: I really wanted to stress... Stone has always been a go to for me. When I can't decide among the plethora of options available in San Diego, I'd grab a Stone beer and just go home. My confidence is shaken. I can't believe this got past QA. The first "Craft" beer i've had to dump.

Hop Revolver IPA - Herkules from Stone Brewing