Stone 10th Anniversary IPA | Stone Brewing

stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Todd on 08-19-2006

4.52/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.52/5  rDev +5.9%

Enjoyed from a cool looking bottle (Design #1 of 10) with Bottle cap design #2 with the Gargoyle head and dates of Stone's existence

Appearance: dark amber with a finger-thick off-white head that provided pretty good lacing - but nothing rocky or extremely beautiful.

Smell: Knocked me back a bit! Loads of fresh hops and something spicy or leathery which kept things interesting

Taste: Very hoppy - not so much fruity , but more piney and very bitter ( a good thing). Alcohol is hidden very well, especially for 10% The cloying smokiness/leatheriness is still present and I continue to drink trying to find out exactly what it is...

Mouthfeel: The best aspect of the beer. Very silky smooth, full bodied feel that coats the tongue and doesn't let go

Drinkability: The fact that I would love to reach for another (if they werent so darn expensive) of these says it all. Great beer!

Bomber into snifters.

Very nice burnished copper color with a light, white head that slowly falls to islands and lace with some stick on the sides.

Smell is perfect. Resinous pine, flowers, grapefruit, and a very distinct presence of grilled pineapple. The caramel malt interacting with the pineapple/grapefruit-y hops is just awesome.

Taste is similar with a pronounced, but never unpleasant alcohol presence. Really fruity, really floral, with a nice malt balance and some spicy alcohol that is never overbearing or unpleasant.

Mouthfeel is fairly sticky sweet, but very nice, with medium body and carbonation.

Drinkability is great for a DIPA, because of the fact that this isn't abrasive, it's very floral and fruity, with a nice malt balance, and an alcohol presence that's never overly hot. It is nicely warming, however.

4.52/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours clear and amber in color with a nice thick head. Aroma is of piney hops with a background of fruity sweetness -- very nice! Taste is big on both bitter hops and malts, with some alcohol hotness. This is a rather heavy beer as should be expected for the style. What a nice beer. At 10% alcohol, not a session brew.

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

I've had more than my fair share of this brew. It pours a very nice amber. A wonderful, piney smell with alcohol that is balanced well with the malt. The taste is similar. Reminds me of A lot of good times. Very hoppy, lots of piney chinooks and, pleasently, very few centenials and cascades. Exceptional taste, which is similar to the smell. Doesn't taste like a double but a well balanced, very hearty IPA. If you get the chance to taste this TAKE IT!!!!

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

Well... needed something special for my 100th review. I think this should work fine.

Pours a clear amber color, with a nice head. A great looking beer.

Nose is sweet, a bit dusty, and citrus like. A bit different than I expected. Still a pleasant beer to smell.

This somewhat innocent looking beer really knocks you upside the mouth when you first taste it... whoa! Really bitter and pine like up front, has a sweet and tart middle, then finishes with a bit of creaminess, some alcohol making it's presence known, and then the bitterness from the hops hits you again. This is extremely well balanced for such a huge beer.

Mouthfeel is unbelievable. This is a huge well rounded beer that really coats your mouth. Almost perfect!

This is an amazing beer. It loses a few points for being a bit over the top, but I would never turn one of these down. However... I'd probably only have one per night.

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

Deep honey-golden brown with a thick, sticky layer of foam. Slight haze. Excellent lacing.

Juicy hop aroma, but not quite as huge as it could be. Combo of floral and citrus notes with a little pine.

Taste: Five. I don't think a double IPA could surpass this, only perhaps match it. A huge hops presence without excessive bitterness. Flavor profile closely follows the nose... floral and citric notes mix, with mild resin following. On the sweet side, malt holds up well to the hops assault but isn't especially assertive. Just enough alcohol warmth in the finish to be enjoyable without seeming boozy.

This is now my measuring stick against which all DIPAs of the future will be judged.

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

Found this at The Keg in Clarksville, Indiana, last week. Haven't seen it in Evansville, yet. Beautiful bottle. The Stone Gargoyle has never looked better. Pouring into a large pint glass the body is a radiant orange amber. Excellent clarity, with a two finger ecru head that stays around for several minutes. Lacing is lavish and quite attractive.

Aroma is initially very hoppy, with lots of citrus. Pink grapefruit, orange, and lime zest are complimented by a solid spruce pine note. Bready malt is also noted, and reminds me of DFH 120 Minute. A hint of red apple is sensed in the background, seemingly from the malt.

Mouthfeel is a full medium. Carbonation is ideal for melding the big malts and hops here.

Lovely taste boasts big and juicy citrusy hops. Orange, tangerine, and pink grapefruit add an ideal bittersweet character. Malt character is very intriguing. Reminds me of the rounded breadiness of some of the DFH 90 or 120 Minute IPAs. Works better here. More complex than Stone Ruination or IPA. Uniquely Stone, this is a really fine DIPA. Happy Birthday Stone!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

22oz. bottle label # 2 of 10 Big thanks to metallitone1 for sending this my way.

Bottle poured into my snifter a light amber color with a nice head leaving lots of lacing around the glass. Big west coast hop aroma. Taste of grapefruit, citrusy bitter hops with a bit alcohol and a dry finish. Mouth feel seems right on and the drinkability is pretty high considering the alcohol and the big hops. Looking forward to drinking this one while it last.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Ashley's (Ann Arbor) at the MI Stone release party. Served in a pint glass. Usually don't review a beer I've only had at the bar, but I think this is the only chance I'll have to try this beer.

A: Amberish brown, served with little head, but I don't know if that was the pour or the beer. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

S: Huge piney hops dominate. In a sinus clearing way. Whoa.

T: Almost a two step process: (1) Slap in the teeth of big bad hops (2) After you recover, you realize that there is quite a bit of balance with some citrusy fruits and malt. The alcohol is present, and it warms your throat while still tasting hops all the way down. "Hop-burn" is the only way I can describe it.

M: Fantastic. Thick and a little oily without being too syrupy. Perfect amount of carbonation for the style. All around great.

D: Obviously a huge beer, but so damn good.

Amazing brew. Definitely glad to finally have Stone in MI. This beer completely destroys your palate though, and I sure can't write a review of the Double Bastard I followed this up with.

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured from a bomber into a 0.5L Duvel tulip. #3 of 10.

A: Deep crystal clear amber body. Small bubbles stick to the bottom of the glass. Head is tall, with a light tan color. It sticks around for awhile, and leaves good lacing behind. One the head is gone, laving sits on top. Great looking IPA.

S: Strong piney hopes and floral nodes I think. It’s powerful but really pleasant. The smell refreshing and wakes me up.

T: Lots of hops hit me hard up front. There is a slight sweet malt taste after the hops fade a bit. A flash of alcohol towards the end is quickly covered by bitter hop aftertaste. This lingers for a long time. This beer is all about the hops.

M: Slightly full, with good carbonation. The bitterness seems to affect my tongue before i actually taste it. A slightly dry finish

D: Great flavor, but powerful. Very good for the style, but doubtful I'd want more than one of these, as delicious as it is.

I was looking forward to this beer, and it met my expectations, though sometimes I have a hard time distinguishing flavors in IPAs. Overall, I expected any IPA made by Stone to be damn good, and it is.

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

22oz bomber poured into my Arrogant Bastard pint glass. Nerdy, but yes, I purposely chose this glass for the occasion of trying this brew for the first time.

Pours a light, crystal clear golden color, maybe a little orange. 2 finger offwhite head. Not really much lacing.

Smell is grapefruit, grapefruit, grapefruit. Just tons of citrus hops. I love big hoppy beers if they are balanced out with some sweetness and I can't tell if this is going to be balanced or just a hop bomb.

Wow, this is almost an elegant beer to taste. Citrus hops turn flowery during each sip leaving me with a nice floral aftertatse. I wouldn't call this sweet, but it tastes well balanced nonetheless, and I wonder if it is the type of hops they've used, which as I write this I'm clueless about which they are (but I'm about to do some searching). It's not that there is no sweetness to it...there is some sweetness on the tip of my tongue as I drink it, but the hops just take over and the hop flavor of this is nothing like any other DIPA I've had. The taste of this is just clean to me; there is something champagne-like about it, and maybe that's a combination of the flavors and the pricklyness I at first mistake for carbonation and then realize is actually the hops. Something just tastes super fresh about this, maybe what other reviewers keep calling "green". Just wow. As this warms, I begin to feel it's moving more towards the "piney" and away from the "grapefruity" type of flavor profile. Whatever, I love the hops in this.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, slightly oily I'd say, and prickly from the hops.

This is a fantastic DIPA. I just picked up a case of this and based on this firs taste I plan to go back for case #2 tomorrow.

4.56/5  rDev +6.8%

Hoppy birthday!

Appearance: I'm drinking this out of an oversized wine glass, and it simply couldn't be more breathtaking. Deep amber with a head that won't quit. If it didn't taste so good, I could stare at it for hours.

Smell: Pine! This beer makes me feel like I'm in Flagstaff. Also notes of honey and hops.

Taste: I hate to be redundant, but it tastes like it smells, absolutely amazing. Very malty & smooth for an IPA. I was surprised by this.

Mouthfeel: Almost erotic. Leaves the whole mouth feeling tingly & warm. Reminds me of Booker's bourbon in this sense. If my girlfriend was a beer drinker... Oh well, it's probably best that she's not. I drink enough for both of us as it is.

Drinkability: Not for sessions, and not a brew for all seasons. In other words, if you have somewhere to be in the next few hours you're probably better off downing a bottle of NyQuil. Smooth as it may be (and is), I'm prevented from giving it a 5 in this category for this reason. Aside from that, I'm very pleasantly surprised. IPAs have a tendency to leave me feeling assaulted by someone's vain attempt to create a nearly undrinkable beer. Not today. This represents the best of what Stone stands for; beer as high art.

Now leave me alone so I can finish my damn beer!

4.57/5  rDev +7%

This Double IPA poured a dark copper orange. The head was scarce. What little bubbles it did have were tiny and dense. It did leave some scattered lacing, but that didn't stay long either.

Th smell had up front notes of canned pineapple. Sweet tropical fruits as well piney and citrus hop aromas. A hint of alcohol could be detected as well.

This beer hits you upfront with hops. Flavors ranging from grapefruit and orange to resiny pine. No doubt there's some simcoe in there, as well as other hp varieties. The fruit flavors detected in the smell were present in the taste as well. It reminded me of a good Chardonnay with it's layered tropical fruits and citrus flavors in the finish. Also a nice dose of toasty malt. Just sweet enough to balance the hops, but not overwhelming. there is definitely some alcohol lurking in the background. You feel it when you exhale.

The mouthfeel is big and expansive. Slightly biting carbonation. For the size of the beer it's also very drinkable. the hop taste is big, but not numbing to the palate. And the malt is sweet, but just sweet enough.

Overall one of the best Double IPA's I've had yet. I felt it struck a better balance between the hops and the malt than other examples in it's class. Much more balanced than Ruination. An excellent effort for an anniversary brew.

22 ounce bottle from Naja's Place

Poured into a chilled pint glass with a 1/2 inch head

Amazing double IPA with some fruit accents and a strong bitter taste

Hopefully the 11th Anniversary will be as good because I have been hearing a lot of good things about it as well

Highly recommended if you can still find this one floating around somewhere

4.57/5  rDev +7%

A beer that I have sampled often. The pour is an off orange color with good copper hues throughout. A mostly hazy view but with a good pour it leaves a large head that remained through the whole tasting. A sticky foam as well that has good staying power.

The nose is nice and hoppy. The aroma has a nice mix of distinct pine and distinct citrus. There are other hop essences that support the specific nose, such as a floral and herbal notes and some nectarine and tangerine esters. The malt has a smaller presence but some bready and biscuit notes with not much caramel qualities.

The taste is similar with a stronger hop presence as a good IPA should have. The hops are balanced well with a nice citrus, somewhat lemony and peppery bitterness. Definitely fruity complexity that continues into the finishing hops with more of the grapefruit, tangerine and lime mix. As my palate get more familiar more mango and pine comes out, especially in the finishing hops. The malt has a slight caramel hint, but the biscuit/bready flavor comes out more. Some light honey hints as well.

The body is closer to full then mid feel to it. Good carbonation that seems high but supports the bitterness for the hops. A very nice complexity with some detectable alcohol esters and some creaminess that becomes more apparent as you go. I really enjoy that they beer does changes as you drink it and add more complexity. Enjoy.

4.57/5  rDev +7%

Picked up a bomber from AJ's Labor Day weekend for $4.99.

Beer poured an orange-amber color with a nice white head that is leaving a good lacing behind. Nose is heavily tinged with grapefruit floral hops and is also bready. Taste is very well balanced for the style. Initially the palate is hit with the malts and finishes with a counterpunch of citrusy hops which actually does not overwhelm the palate. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied and lively on the palate. Drinkability improves as I go. Initially the alcohol was extremely warming but since has mellowed. This is an awesome beer that I would recommend to fans of the Double IPA style.

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

Acquired via trade from IntriqKen, so a big “Thank you” goes out to him.
Poured from a 22oz. bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright amber color with a medium-sized, foamy off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is a nice blend of strong hops, sweet citrus and caramelized malt.

T: Sweet flavors of citrus and caramel start off, and then the hops bitterness quickly comes out, followed by a mild rush of alcohol warmth. It’s a little sweeter and not as hoppy as I expected, but it’s very well-balanced. It tastes very similar to but a little bit better than the 9th Anniversary Ale from what I remember of it. Wish I had saved a bottle of that one to compare.

M: Super smooth and very crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, very clean finish.

D: Very tasty, goes down easy, not very filling, good representation of the style, but the high ABV makes this one an excellent sipper. This is yet another great beer from Stone.

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

hazed coppery orange with a good sized tan head that stciks around for a while.
heavy booze component in the nose. beneath that there is a heavy very "green" oily grapfruit hop aroma with piney resinous qualities. a bit too much of an alcohol smell for me though.
a total hop bomb in the mouth with tons of puckering bitterness. the oily hops dominate with strong pine, grapefruit and some more faint pineapple flavors. some caramel is in there too, but crushed by the hops. alcohol is pervasive, but not quite as overwhelming as in the nose. absolutely titanic hop flavor in here, goddamn thats good.
clean full-ish medium body with moderate to strong carbonation. my mouth is left tingling form the alcohol.
very good drinkability. for such boozy hop bomb, the really excellent flavor, lends to this. pick it up for sure if you see this, this is how west coast IPAs are done.

Enjoyed at Capital Ale House Innsbrook for Beer Geek Week '07

A: Pours a deep, opaque amber hue, glowing orange, roughly 1 finger of head that showed decent retention and lacing.

S: Sweet maltiness with notes of grapefruit citrus; has a mellow, candy-like orange scent to it.

T: Hop complexity that's second to none. A malty base provides a smooth intro for a big dose of bitterness. Floral and citrusy hops wash over the palate and flood the mouth with one the better hop profiles I have yet to taste. Immaculate.

M: Big, creamy, and mealy... a bit of syrupy hop residue with a fluffy, full mouthfeel.

D: Outstanding brew, and it's evident why this was only brewed once. I originally enjoyed the last bottle available to the public at Capital Ale House downtown with nickss and roughsax; part of one of our original BA gatherings. This time around, after a year had gone by, this thing had changed a bit, but was still just as great.

4.59/5  rDev +7.5%

pop, bottle 5 of 10 for geeky collectors who care.

pour, wow, what beautiful cascading bubbles. the brew settles picturesque into my demon's hopyard tulip. a distinct leathery brown-orange color is dominant, although variations on autumn exist throughout the cloudy body. the hilly silk foam that rests atop this beer is pure cream with a fleck of open air pocket here and there.

smells like i just carved up a fresh pineapple inside my beer glass. then i took an orange wedge and squeezed that over top of the pineapple chunks. perhaps even sliced a banana into the mix, and blended it like a smoothie. this beer is pure tropical fruit bliss to smell.. i am in awe of the aromas hovering directly over the beer in question. if there was a stone 10th anniversary car air freshener, i would buy a lifetime supply.

the beer itself is appropriately thick and stings of bitterness, but i think that is to be expected. initial flavors border on piney but lean more towards the tooth-grinding bitterness of citrus rind. something floral escapes into the nasal cavity and distracts from the alcohol and hop barrage. a crisp (dry?) bitterness follows that engulfs the tongue, serving to further cover up the alcohol notes. the way this beer works is perfect.. i can feel the vicks-like inhalations of abv, but it doesn't interfere with the flavor. i am left after each sip with a refreshed palate, but a thin layer of hop scum all over my mouth. i find myself drinking this faster than i should with a ten-percenter.. warmth brings out many more hop nuances, which define this beer succinctly. the malt profile is not overly sweet and plays a nice primer to the green bud housepaint. further warmth gets a woody, almost cedary note to emerge. the complexities here are making my head spin. this easily puts both ruination and ipa to shame in both flavor and aroma.

not a session beer by any means, but not in the league of hoppy barleywines either. stone has made a beefy burger to celebrate the big 1-0, and done it in style. nothing goofy, nothing off-kilter, just a kick-ass trip-p-a. go stone.

4.59/5  rDev +7.5%

Enjoyed from my Arrogant Bastard glass. Clear orange/amber colour with a long-lasting beige head. The foam was composed of bubbles of mixed sizes, though the smaller ones tended to cling in solid sheets to the glass as I sipped. Pine resin hit my nose just after I cracked the bottle and was still strong after the pour, but by this time other aromas were present. Grapefruit became an equal to the pine and chalky, floral hops became more apparent. The only hint of malt came in the form of a sweet orange aroma. A solid malt backbone forms a good flavour base with a bitterness that's nicely balanced. There's a bit of caramel and toasted malt in there that really plays well with the hopping. Notes of hops fade in and out, particularly oranges, grapefruit, and pine. Alcohol is quite warm at the finish and slightly stunned my tongue on the first sip - it's quite pleasant after that. Full bodied with middling carbonation, just on the edge of syrupy. Now that's a big IPA. The aroma is absolutely spectacular. And the malt flavour and alcohol combination was reminiscent of some finer American barleywines while still letting the hops shine. Definitely worthy of Stone's 10th Anniversary.

4.59/5  rDev +7.5%

Bottle courtesy of dave12285 poured into a tulip.

A: Pours a hazy copper with a dense tan head that lingers for q while leaving some delicate lacing. Honestly, it looks a lot like an American barleywine...

S: ...and it smells a lot like a barleywine as well. There is an initial citrus hop aroma, but definitely subdued. The smell is dominated by the caramel malts with butterscotch and brown sugar as well.

T: The taste is much like the smell. I never had it fresh, but I imagine there was a huge hop kick in this at some point. Now it's almost all malts with a touch of citrus up front and some earthy hop bitterness in the finish. Lots of sugary sweetness and some dark fruits as well.

M: Mouthfeel is medium bodied with decent carbonation, but it is very smooth and sticks to the mouth throughout.

D: This beer has aged very well in my opinion though it's certainly more of a barleywine than an IIPA at this point. Regardless of category, this is a great beer.

4.59/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours clear copper with reddish hues, beige, tight head of a half inch height.
The foam dissapates quickly to reveal a skim coat on the surface of small to medium orbs of carbonation.
Nose is pungent and floral.
Very tropical in nature with mossy pine notes in the back.
Pears, peaches, nectarines, pineapple, and spruce sap.
Malt is subdued and aromatics finish with warming alcohols and more fruit.
Body is on the thick side of medium- sticky, sappy, and slightly chewy.
Pallet is massively bitter and alcoholic.
Pineyness is in the forefront now, with the fruit backing it up.
Neither the pine nor fruit are a match for the alcohol sting that is ...10%? Drinks bigger.
Malt is light enough to put the 10th anniversary spot on in the IIPA category, and pulls off some crispness despite the massive grain bill.

A huge, unapolagetic, hop and alcohol attack to the senses.
Big karma goes out a fellow BFD'er in San Marcos.

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours with a lovely head which stays in a Belgian-like lace for a while.
Color a very clear amber-red.

The nose is full of pine, almost exclusively pine with a hint of citrus and a suggestion of alcohol strength.

Taste: a wonderful combination of pine, mixed peel (think mixed citrus allowed to concentrate and dry a bit, if you're not familiar with the product), plum, guava, and passionfruit. So it's like a punchy fruitcake under the Christmas tree! (Then the hops sneak up with their sagey bitterness under the back of my tongue and remind me that they are making me sleepy, very sleepy..)

Mouthfeel: well carbonated, full bodied, sparkly, warm with booziness.

Drinkability: I'd love to drink a whole growler of this, but in the morning I'd wish I hadn't. Half a bomber at a time for me, thanks. Thank goodness I live with a fellow beer enthusiast who'll happily relieve me of the other half.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing