Stone 10th Anniversary IPA | Stone Brewing

stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Todd on 08-19-2006

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

22oz bomber poured into my Arrogant Bastard pint glass. Nerdy, but yes, I purposely chose this glass for the occasion of trying this brew for the first time.

Pours a light, crystal clear golden color, maybe a little orange. 2 finger offwhite head. Not really much lacing.

Smell is grapefruit, grapefruit, grapefruit. Just tons of citrus hops. I love big hoppy beers if they are balanced out with some sweetness and I can't tell if this is going to be balanced or just a hop bomb.

Wow, this is almost an elegant beer to taste. Citrus hops turn flowery during each sip leaving me with a nice floral aftertatse. I wouldn't call this sweet, but it tastes well balanced nonetheless, and I wonder if it is the type of hops they've used, which as I write this I'm clueless about which they are (but I'm about to do some searching). It's not that there is no sweetness to it...there is some sweetness on the tip of my tongue as I drink it, but the hops just take over and the hop flavor of this is nothing like any other DIPA I've had. The taste of this is just clean to me; there is something champagne-like about it, and maybe that's a combination of the flavors and the pricklyness I at first mistake for carbonation and then realize is actually the hops. Something just tastes super fresh about this, maybe what other reviewers keep calling "green". Just wow. As this warms, I begin to feel it's moving more towards the "piney" and away from the "grapefruity" type of flavor profile. Whatever, I love the hops in this.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, slightly oily I'd say, and prickly from the hops.

This is a fantastic DIPA. I just picked up a case of this and based on this firs taste I plan to go back for case #2 tomorrow.

4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

So i'll start this out saying, I am not the biggest IPA fan. But man, after this beer, i'll start seeking out some of the better ones. Poured a amber/copper color into my pint glass with a nice frothy 1 inch head that went down to a thin layer on top. Smell was of nice resiny piney hops which is what I like in IPA's. Taste is simply amazing, citrusy, piney, hoppy with some nice bitterness settling into a nice rich malty background finish. I love it, I am not huge on the bitter IPA finish, but this finished sweet and tasty. Mouthfeel was rich, sticky sweet and bitter, pretty nice. Drinkability I will say is high, this is a great beer, refreshingly sweet and bitter, I love the citrusy hops this has, and man that 10% abv isnt tasteable in the beer, but boy does it creep up on ya. A truely amazing beer and quite possibly the best IPA this BA has ever had.

So, after an extended absence, this reviewer is back with another sublime beer to report on. Much anticipated release from the folks in San diego does not fail to dissappoint. An amazing beer with much to write home about.
Poured from the bottle into an oversized wine glass; the color of the beer is one of the more beautiful that I have seen in a long time, deep royal ruby red amber, nice silky glass lacing and head retention indicates freshness. Smells of herbs and hops a sophisitcated sweet smell that promises much and delivers. I would say that this is a like a beautiful belgian with a distinct character and bitterness of an IPA. The 10% alchohol makes its presence felt but it is not overpowering. the beer is super silky smooth and was a joy to drink on the back deck with an old friend(who drank Rolling rock- one of the last latrobe brewed bottles), OK. I love tis beer! It is SOPHISTICATED! with a capitol "S"! The profile of the beer changed as the bomber was killed over the afternoon, but unlike other reviewers the alcholol did not become edgey in my palate's estimation. Drinkability is slow relfective as it should for this sublime experience. A special occassion beer- say for an anniversary? I can't wait to age some of the case that I've luckily been able to get my hands on. Look for updates to this review in 2011 and 2016. Happy 10th Stone for a job continuously and righteously, need I say outrageously welldone! cheers! Thanks for the beer memories...

3 bottles into the case and my review hits 5s across the board. As my palate gets more finicky but also demands to have its a-- kicked this beer does it for me in spades. SIMPLY AMAZING!
Update 12-31/12:
Drank one of my last two bottles for the 10th new years married and now 10th new years in my house anticipation mounts as I wait to see how this aged. The verdict-
DELICiOUS! Now drinks like a barley wine amazing flavors of almond brandies Cherry and of course oak caramel and even peat wonderful way to ring in 2013 wonder what the abc now is...

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

22 oz bomber with a great silkscreen (#7 of 10) pours out a glowing orange with a chill haze. Thick, creamy head that sticks around well for something with so high an ABV.

Smells....glorious!!! Sweet pineapple is the dominant aroma, along with pine, orange, brown sugar, and all that pleases the senses. This is my idea of aromatherapy.

More of the same in taste...this quite a pleasurable experience for the palate. Lovely hop resins contribute pine, citrus, and spruce notes. Lots of fruity flavors here...again pineapple is forefront, but I also detect papaya, mango, orange, grapefruit, apple, and a very sweet and sturdy malt backbone. Wow! What a beer. Alcohol warming is evident, but not overwhelming.

Mouthfeel is meduim to heavy, with quite of bit of (wonderful) hop resin aftertaste. Quite a bit of carbonation, and amazing head retention. I'm more than halfway through my beer and that head just won't quit. As for drinkability...it's amazing for such a big beer....or any beer, really.

Great beer...much sweeter than I expected. Not quite a barleywine, but not even close to as harsh as most DIPA's. Amazing fruit flavors. Worth seeking out. A must try if you can still find it.

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

Been waiting on this one a while... DIPA being one of my favorite styles and Stone being, well, Stone.

Looks like dark honey in my "Magic Chouffe" tulip. The pour yielded a one finger head which didn't stay around long. There is very little visual carbonation noted and spotty lacing as i drink.

The nose is malt-driven...caramel and crystal? That's not to say the hops aren't there, once you move beyond the intitial sweetness, you'll find pine sap and plenty of hoppy citrus notes (grapefruit and tangerine).

Caramel (and vanilla?) is at the fore in the taste, but quickly a tangy melange of tangerine and orange assault you while it finishes up with a spicy bitterness that lingers for just a moment (somewhat like a grapefruit brushed with sugar). The flavors are so big that alcohol strength is well hidden.

(The bittering effect becomes more pronounced the more you drink)

This brew is full, creamy, resiny, amply carbonated and gets a mouthfeel rating of perfection for the style.

So good i'd like to drink another, but i'm not sure the ABV will let me, and i just might be drunk.

You best give it a try.

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

I picked a couple of bottles of this one up at the local, overpriced liquor store. I was told by the store owner that it had only been in for a week and they weren't expecting another batch, but somehow I restrained myself from buying out the rest of his supply.

After finding a new home in my Stone IRS tulip glass, I observed this brew's clear amber body with a finger of off-white foamy head that took quite awhile to subside while the halo left behind remained at its full height, encircling a lacy center with scattered large white bubbles.

The smell was a delightful mix primarily of pear and tangerine with suggestions of pine and a tiny hint of grapefruit.

The first sip revealed a much more powerful (typical Stone) sensory experience than I could predict from the odors. First my taste buds detected pine and alcohol, then grapefruit, and this time the sweetness of tangerine/pear was more subdued. My palate continued to tingle for a couple of minutes from the strong hop flavor and alcohol and a slight lingering tangerine/pear.

The body felt slightly syrupy. Holding a swallow in my mouth for a couple of moments, I felt a slight alcohol burn on the roof of my mouth followed by a much more pronounced burn on my tongue. Each sip caked my mouth with more piney hop flavor; that typical less-than-clean finish that causes me to tend to prefer single IPAs over their stronger double bretheren.

I have to take my time with this one due to the hop and alcohol attack, but flavor-wise, Stone's 10th is definitely a winner, although it would need to be slightly more balanced for my tastes to earn a perfect 5. I'd say this one is closer to Dreadnaught in flavor than Ruination. I'm looking forward to investigating this brew on tap in a couple weeks.

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

This one was tough to get a hold of, but managed to snag some!

Pours from the bomber a ruby red with a nice foamy head. The label artwork is very cool...it's label #2 of 10 written by Greg.

Smell is beautiful cirtusy grapefruit hoppiness, totally makes my mouth water in anticipation.

Taste is sweet and citrusy, with a nice strong bitterness and alcohol bite. Hops are very dominant, but somehow not too overwhleming. Makes me want to take another sip and I haven't even swallowed this one yet. Chewy hop resins and maltiness with a medium-full body.

Finish is long and bitter with a bit of a lingering alcohol warmth.

This is very drinkable for being as hoppy as it is. Stone has once again brewed a beer that sets new standards. Glad I have a couple more bottles of this, I already crave another.

Happy Anniversary Stone, and here's to many more!

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Ashley's (Ann Arbor) at the MI Stone release party. Served in a pint glass. Usually don't review a beer I've only had at the bar, but I think this is the only chance I'll have to try this beer.

A: Amberish brown, served with little head, but I don't know if that was the pour or the beer. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

S: Huge piney hops dominate. In a sinus clearing way. Whoa.

T: Almost a two step process: (1) Slap in the teeth of big bad hops (2) After you recover, you realize that there is quite a bit of balance with some citrusy fruits and malt. The alcohol is present, and it warms your throat while still tasting hops all the way down. "Hop-burn" is the only way I can describe it.

M: Fantastic. Thick and a little oily without being too syrupy. Perfect amount of carbonation for the style. All around great.

D: Obviously a huge beer, but so damn good.

Amazing brew. Definitely glad to finally have Stone in MI. This beer completely destroys your palate though, and I sure can't write a review of the Double Bastard I followed this up with.

4.12/5  rDev -3.5%

Surprisingly good! Let me say that I'm not a hophead at all, I received this in a trade with Bluescooter because I wanted to try some more hoppy stuff. I didn't have this fresh when it was first released, but I've got to say this is pretty nice now. Not overpoweringly piney or anything, but very fruity and citrusy without terribly bitter grapefruit. Not something I could drink a lot of, or very often, but this bomber was very enjoyable.

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

22 oz bomber poured into a tulip glass.

Very nice ruby amber beer. Pours a rocky, bubbly 2 finger head. Nice lacing all the way down.

This beer smells balanced. Strong citrus and pine from the hops and very fruity sweet smelling hops. Grapefruit, caramel, peach, and just a little alcohol smell.

Taste is just he same. Too many flavors to describe. Has a huge malt backbone that makes the hops seem subtle in the big picture. I'm sure the IBUs on this are pretty high despite this. Caramel, orange, and grapefruit. Slight alcohol especially as it warms.

Very oily. Sugary and syrupy almost like drinking a flat soda. Carbonation breaks up the oil well, but it could probably use just a touch more.

I could easily drink two bomber of this beer in a sitting, but the ABV keeps the drinkability a little lower. I have to be careful with this beer.

4.52/5  rDev +5.9%

Bomber into snifters.

Very nice burnished copper color with a light, white head that slowly falls to islands and lace with some stick on the sides.

Smell is perfect. Resinous pine, flowers, grapefruit, and a very distinct presence of grilled pineapple. The caramel malt interacting with the pineapple/grapefruit-y hops is just awesome.

Taste is similar with a pronounced, but never unpleasant alcohol presence. Really fruity, really floral, with a nice malt balance and some spicy alcohol that is never overbearing or unpleasant.

Mouthfeel is fairly sticky sweet, but very nice, with medium body and carbonation.

Drinkability is great for a DIPA, because of the fact that this isn't abrasive, it's very floral and fruity, with a nice malt balance, and an alcohol presence that's never overly hot. It is nicely warming, however.

4.1/5  rDev -4%

From the 3 of the anniversary brews i've tried 8,9,10,this is the best one.Had this one in a bomber at the Peach.This is the most drinkable of the 3.All the Stone stuff smashes ur face but this one is a treat has a citrus bite to it first off but easy on the finish,malts present,great carbination, not enough to kill the fish just right..Two thumbs up..Beckons from the glass a golden amber with a foamy, bready off white head. The aroma is very hoppy, bready, and some floral notes. From the first sip I knew for sure buying a swing top 3L 3 years late was not a bad call by any means. Tons of hops still punch through this baby, lots of floral and citrus accompanied by a distinct biscuit/bready flavor that produces a hint of staleness but not enough to negate the hop deliciousness. A very sweet taste overall, maybe some honey. .

3.72/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured into a nice pintglass with a ruination IPA logo on it that stone kindly sent me. I didn't get much head from it as I'm a very careful pouring sort of fellow who tries to avoid head. The little head I did get is still laced around the edge without much hanging to the glass. Being a huge Ruination IPA fan I was expecting a lot from something touting both "Stone" and "Anniversary" celebrations in the same sentence. They have done a wonderful job, although I think there might be a little bit too much alcohol to the beer. It looks superb as an IPA should but has no noticeable sediment as usual with Stone brews. It smells excellent! I wanted to guzzle at first but I minded myself and didn't. At 10% I'm getting drunk just smelling the stuff, and the 10% really shows in the taste. It doesn't have much bite, and kind of has a bit of belgian style aftertaste in it. You can taste the alcohol but it blends in fairly well. The mouthfeel is flat and a little bland. Overall the drinkability of this beer is okay, but it is hardly able to match up to the Ruination. I'm not entirely sold on this being an actual IPA. Something doesn't quite stack up in the taste. It's a bit over fermented or something, I can't put my finger on it. Don't get me wrong, this is a decent beer, but it's certainly not what I was hoping for.

I received a 3L growler of this treasure and what a gift it was! It pours a deep rich coppery amber. Nice head retention thinning to a nice crown. The aromas that are clear are citrus and good hops. The taste is fantastic, very hoppy but not too bitter. The mouthfeel is perfection and it drinks well, and isn't hard, even with the high ABV

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

I've had more than my fair share of this brew. It pours a very nice amber. A wonderful, piney smell with alcohol that is balanced well with the malt. The taste is similar. Reminds me of A lot of good times. Very hoppy, lots of piney chinooks and, pleasently, very few centenials and cascades. Exceptional taste, which is similar to the smell. Doesn't taste like a double but a well balanced, very hearty IPA. If you get the chance to taste this TAKE IT!!!!

3.38/5  rDev -20.8%

3L Growler stored in my cooler, and opened 5/24/08, aged approx 2 years.

I remember having this fresh, and enjoying it immensely, this being the IIPA that introduced me to just how fruity/citrusy an IIPA could be. Let's see how's it's held up...

A: Mostly clear, dark amber-gold. Not too much head, but I think asking for the growler to hold all the carbonation for 2 years is asking a bit much. Looks inviting nonetheless!

S: The malt has definitely over-taken things here. Plenty of caramelly goodness, but there's a distinct honey tint to the aroma as well. That's interesting. The citrusy hops are still there, but just in the background now.

T: It's pretty much a barleywine now. The maltiness is a really nice, mellow caramel/honey sweetness. This is followed by a bit of citrus rind bitterness/dryness, and a hit of raw alcohol on the finish. The fresh fruitniness I remember from the fresh bottle is gone. Sadness.

M: Mouthfeel is excellent. Even with a lower carbonation, the beer coats the mouth nicely, and provides an excellent fullness.

As an IIPA, I'd say this one is definitely past it's prime, but as an experiment in aging beer, it's pretty damn interesting.

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a crystal clear, gold red. Very unique color, much darker than Stone's regualr IPA. The head is light and frothy with good lace and recedes quickly. Excellent carbonation.

Pungeant, complex aroma. Pine and perfume with citrus. A definite hint of grapefruit but nowhere near the normal IPA, not as much hopps either. This one's sweeter. Smells of caramel and apple, a good combination!

Bold taste. A strong, hoppy, sugary malt with a medium-to-light bitterness and a sweet nectar, malty aftertaste. Like the aroma, this one's very complex. You can definitely taste the alcohol, maybe a little too much for my taste. This one's not a session ale and it's not trying to be. Mouthfeel is perfect. Full body and exquisite carbonation. Did I mention the carbonation?

Overall: A bold, even brazen, confident ale. A classy package that might have a little more than you asked for, but demands respect.

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

I bought a case of this right when it was released, so I have had it quite fresh and a few staggered every other month. This is my first one in maybe 2 months. I'm a huge fan of this beer.

A) Still pours nice and thick with a dark cantelope color.

S) Enormous, exploding aroma of hops. I don't know which hops have which flavor/aroma character. (i.e. amarillo, cascade, etc)

T) Huge and robust. I can taste a hint of pineapple overtones. I had this once on tap and that's when the pineapple was right up front.

M) Chewy and thick.

D) This could be a desert island beer for me!

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

this is far and away my favorite beer (...as of yet...)

A - bright, vibrant copper color, or burnt orange, or whatever you want to call it. thick, white head that faded to gorgeous lacing on both the top of the beer and down the glass.

S - This smell will provide the bench mark for all other smells. A whallop of citrus (orange, grapefruit) hops, toasted caramel malts, and faint wiffs of fruity alcohol. My mouth watered.

T - So. Very. Good. Big, juicy hoppy taste, which hides the (10%!) alcohol quite nicely. Some sweetness from the malts, but this is a showcase for the hops. The flavor lingers for a while after the sip has gone down and there is nice warming feeling in the back of the mouth and throat. Very well balanced.

M - Heavy mouthfeel, but not overly so. This big feel just adds to the taste and doesn't make the beer syrupy at all.

D - This is beer as food, and in the best way. I'm so sad I didn't get to have more of this, as it seems the local stores are out of the 22s. crap.

4.82/5  rDev +12.9%

2-fingers of eggshell cream cap a clear, medium umber. Cloudiness developed upon subsequent pours form the bottle.

Aroma is of juicy mandarin oranges, candied grapefruit rinds, some pineapple and macerated pine needles - all swirling about in a heady, virulent harmony.

Everything detected in the nose is robustly confirmed in the flavor but with a sweet, crushing wall of toffee-caramel malt which brings things into surprising balance. Fireweed honey, a subtle nuttiness, and a suggestion of rose-hip tea appear before the stinging heat of brash alcohol asserts itself. Whoa.

Smooth, fine bubbles jettison a rich, oily body, which is squarely in Barleywine territory as far as mouthfeel goes, but the strong alcohol dries out the finish and begs another sensory-overloading sip. This is like drinking a fine, hop-malt spirit and oh-so-enjoyable throughout. One of my favorite beers ever, and I believe I need to go grab another case. While I love the fresh-hop character, I’m quite curious to see where some age takes this beer.

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured from growler into pint glass. Amber color with a thick white head. Smells incredible with notes of pineapple, mango, pine, caramel, and a touch of alcohol. Taste is similarly complex, starting with a very obvious pineapple taste, that fades into bready malts, caramel, and piny, hop bitterness. Alcohol is well hidden with only some warming in the throat. Mouthfeel is full-bodied and creamy. Very drinkable for such a big beer. This is definitely Stone's best creation, and one my favorites in general.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a cloudy amber/orange topped with a billowing 2 finger head after a somewhat aggressive pour. Head dies away somewhat quickly leaving a few patches of bubbles floating around this amazing looking beer.
The smell is bold and raw, filled with piney hops. This has the real double IPA smell in that you can detect more than just insane amounts of hops, finding hints of alcohol amongst all thats going on. This smells similar the most intense double IPA I have ever had, "Hell Spawn of Oliver", a monster beer out of Vermont that boasts it's IBU's to be over 200.
Tastes suprisingly balanced between piney hops with hints of grapefruit over a smooth toasted malt. While this isn't over the top on hops in terms of balance, their presence is right up front in every sip. I'm reviewing the second bomber of this that I've had so far (the first one had only been refrigerated for a few hours by the time I popped it) and the second one is notably more drinkable at the colder temperature. My first bomber, while good, had a dominating alcohol flavor which masked the finer elements of this incredible beer. While the warming alcohol is still present in my current beer, it's mixed in well with the other elements.
Overall, this is an amazing beer which I could only say lacks in drinkability due to it's strength. As of 9/24/06, it stands as my highest reviewed beer to date, and I highly recommend trying getting some while you can.

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

I drank this out of a 3 liter bottle split with my roommates. No way in hell I could drink this by myself. Review on the way:

Note ahead of time, this bottle is the 10th anniversary with no bottled on date. I have some 11th anniversary in the fridge, so this bottle is at least about 1 1/2 years old.

Appearance is a cloudy amber/orange with a very respectable lacing. For a 10%, "aged" beer this one really did leave a decent sticky lacing all the way down.

Getting ahead of my notes, the smell has more hops present in it than the taste does. That said, I am thoroughly impressed with the hop presence after the aging of this bottle. Definite sweet/caramel malts present as well, more prominent than the hops.

As mentioned, the hops are more noticeable in aroma than in taste. However I admit they are impressively noticeable in the taste considering that this beer has been waiting to be opened for about 1 1/2 years. Sticky and sweet are the two defining taste characteristics of this beer.

Medium bodied, smooth yet biting sourness are what I'm getting from the mouthfeel.

I only drank 1 liter of this 3 liter bottle, so I'm reviewing this drinkability based on 1 liter of the 10th anniversary. Definitely strong at 10%. I honestly would drink another (whether or not that would be advisable). The malt sweetness after a year+ of aging is still not too overpowering for an IIPA. I'm very impressed with this IIPA for holding strong this long.

I've got to thank my roommate for buying this 3Liter for my birthday. Excellent present and a great chance to taste a fantastic beer. Cheers to stone.

4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

10th anniversary Stone IPA

Smelled bready malty with hops and tasted hoppy bitter with grapefruit and malty earth tones and some weak grassy notes. Alcohol is perceived at the end with a slight tongue burn and a peppery bitter finish warming the stomach.
Mouthfeel- well carbonated but thick and smooth. Tasty, but a sipper for sure.

Notes: It's hard to differentiate at times from all the IPA's offered by Stone. Their IPA, Ruination IPA, 10th anniversary, and various dry-hopped IPA's are most excellent but at times seem to meld together in my mind. An excellent IPA, as they all are, but I would recommend trying the near-by Green Flash Brewing's Imperial IPA if you want a completely different take on strong hops.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing