Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Stone 10th Anniversary IPA | Stone Brewing

stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Todd on 08-19-2006

4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass some 8 years after this was bottled...

A pretty good, semi-flat barleywine essentially.

I was nervous - I've never had such an old IPA. I loved it - it reminds me of beers like Double Dancer, but with less carbonation.

The smell was great, with some nice malt and hop aroma.

Color was extremely cloudy and muddy - a reddish orange.

For such an old beer, this held up amazingly well.

2.73/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

08/22/12 On tap. Part of a Stone's flight. I was looking to re-appraise my appreciation (or lack thereof) for Stone's stuff. This was a bitter lightweight compared to the 16th Anniversary. Unfortunately all the hop jiggery-pokery went to waste on this un-hoppy guy. Better than most, but not enough for me to change horses.

2.75/5  rDev -35.6%

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

So, after an extended absence, this reviewer is back with another sublime beer to report on. Much anticipated release from the folks in San diego does not fail to dissappoint. An amazing beer with much to write home about.
Poured from the bottle into an oversized wine glass; the color of the beer is one of the more beautiful that I have seen in a long time, deep royal ruby red amber, nice silky glass lacing and head retention indicates freshness. Smells of herbs and hops a sophisitcated sweet smell that promises much and delivers. I would say that this is a like a beautiful belgian with a distinct character and bitterness of an IPA. The 10% alchohol makes its presence felt but it is not overpowering. the beer is super silky smooth and was a joy to drink on the back deck with an old friend(who drank Rolling rock- one of the last latrobe brewed bottles), OK. I love tis beer! It is SOPHISTICATED! with a capitol "S"! The profile of the beer changed as the bomber was killed over the afternoon, but unlike other reviewers the alcholol did not become edgey in my palate's estimation. Drinkability is slow relfective as it should for this sublime experience. A special occassion beer- say for an anniversary? I can't wait to age some of the case that I've luckily been able to get my hands on. Look for updates to this review in 2011 and 2016. Happy 10th Stone for a job continuously and righteously, need I say outrageously welldone! cheers! Thanks for the beer memories...

3 bottles into the case and my review hits 5s across the board. As my palate gets more finicky but also demands to have its a-- kicked this beer does it for me in spades. SIMPLY AMAZING!
Update 12-31/12:
Drank one of my last two bottles for the 10th new years married and now 10th new years in my house anticipation mounts as I wait to see how this aged. The verdict-
DELICiOUS! Now drinks like a barley wine amazing flavors of almond brandies Cherry and of course oak caramel and even peat wonderful way to ring in 2013 wonder what the abc now is...

Stone 10th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing